Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I kept reinstalling my browser cos of the ads. The infolink ads are so annoying. Initially I thought it was spyware cos it kept jamming up my system.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Yup. Those 5 second ads are the sole reason I installed an ad-blocker on my iPad
    It's even worse on my system, I wait the 3-5 seconds to close, but the 'X' for closing it takes me to the damn website for the advertised crap instead of closing the ad. Bad Moon Rising has just made it to my 'never buy under any circumstances' list.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I just wish when I clicked "don't ask me again" on the newsletter sign up, it actually never asked me again, instead of asking me again frequently.

Other than that, Ad Blocker.
    What's worse for me is that I'm getting that sometimes even though I am signed up for the newsletter. I've also noticed a problem (with AdBlock installed) that when I'm zooming in the made the text box bigger (being an Old and all that) that the top banner starts flickering on me. Makes it hard to read.

Thankfully I haven't noticed the pop-over ads on my phone yet.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Astonishing Member

The worst thing is the pop up ads actually shifts the whole page downwards and thus it'll take sometime to shift it back up.
    I'm really hoping CBR would use those ads that doesn't shift the content of the page whereby you can just click the [X] button. I get it that ads are where a website makes revenue, but at least don't let it slow down that page.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

the ads are getting so bad it makes the front page a nuisance to get through. Everthing takes forever to load. I may just stop going to the front page altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Simian View Post
    Thankfully I haven't noticed the pop-over ads on my phone yet.
    Oh, I have. I don't visit the front page on my phone anymore.

i only look at the forums now, anything else on the site is too frustrating to me. i used to enjoy reading the news and buypile columns.

And now I'm seeing ads in the "Breaking News" emails. That is super annoying and over the line.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Good googly moogly, this has gotten worse lately. I've read CBR for years, but the main site has simply become unbearable. Time to get my comic news elsewhere.

Yeah, I just had an ad pop-up when I tried to catch up on the weekend's news that shut down the whole page. Auto-reloaded itself as soon as I closed it whether I let it play through or not. I love the content you guys offer, but if you're shutting down my browser (doesn't matter if I use firefox, chrome or internet explorer) every time I try to read what you've got I can't access that content and there's no reason for me to be here, and less reason for me to follow up on any of your advertisers product by clicking your link. I'm actually contemplating a boycott list for your advertisers whose ads shanghai my ability to experience (let alone enjoy) this site.
    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Auto playing video ads on the site is pretty awful and inconsiderate of people's data plans when mobile browsing. Also muting and pausing it didn't stop the audio from continuing.
    Last edited by Joker; 11-04-2015 at 04:55 PM.

For future reference: If you guys are having problems with the ads at CBR and need to voice your complaints, that's fine. You feel the need to express how it's making you want to search elsewhere for comic news, that's fine too. But you're not using this thread (or any thread) to bitterly or vindictively discuss your alternatives and make recommendations, regardless of whether or not you're doing that just to make a point. That gets deleted. You may not be happy with the site because of the ads, and you're welcome to criticize, but it's disrespectful to take it to that next step.

You presumably have access to and understand how to use the internet. Give that a try.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 11-05-2015 at 02:20 PM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Fair enough. Odd, I think, but your house, your rules. Thanks for letting us know.

Ok. I assume I am allowed to describe my experiences, from what's been said, so here goes:

I've been using two tablets - the first, a Kindle Fire, the second, my son's iPad.
    Let me start by saying that I get the same results whether I use ad-blocking software or not.

On both of these devices, in the past week or so, I regularly find a screen-sized black box appearing. At the bottom of the box, it says "Mouse over for sound".
    On a tablet, it is not possible to "mouse over for sound".

Occasionally, a small part of the page beneath the black box is visible, and I can drag that down until the black box scrolls off the top of the screen. At this point, I cannot see the "featured" links, and I cannot see the first 3 links in the main list below the featured items.
    Quite often, when I click a link, I get the same black box treatment on the next page.
    At no point do I get offered any option to remove that box. No "X" to close it, it does not vanish over time, I can do absolutely nothing with it.
    So, to put it very simply, I cannot read your articles, and I cannot tell what it is that your ads are trying to sell me. I cannot click on the adverts to visit their product pages, and I cannot close the black box that, I can only imagine, is supposed to be an advert for something or other.

This makes visiting your site quite an unpleasant experience.
    I really wish someone would look into it. I can't imagine a screen-sized black box is generating any advertising revenue for you at all.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    For future reference: If you guys are having problems with the ads at CBR and need to voice your complaints, that's fine. You feel the need to express how it's making you want to search elsewhere for comic news, that's fine too. But you're not using this thread (or any thread) to bitterly or vindictively discuss your alternatives and make recommendations, regardless of whether or not you're doing that just to make a point. That gets deleted. You may not be happy with the site because of the ads, and you're welcome to criticize, but it's disrespectful to take it to that next step.

You presumably have access to and understand how to use the internet. Give that a try.
    I was wondering why my post got deleted, so thank you for the explanation, though I think you mistake bitterness and vindictiveness for frustration and betrayal.

As for respect ... How respectful is it when CBR uses ads that hijack your computer or viewing of the site (as Blind Otto described)? CBR has chosen to use these ads that have fake, disguised close buttons, that do NOT close the ads at all, but instead open to another site. This is the sort of shenanigans hackers use to drop malware on users or the unscrupulous and greedy use as click bait. I actually warned my elderly parents about exactly this when they got a computer. Beyond being annoying, it's outright deception. Is that really how CBR wants to treat its users? The forum was rebooted to be a safe place for discussion, but the site isn't safe at all, as it lies to you, by using fake close buttons on their ads.

Yes, I'm complaining, and I feel others may also be. But I'm also reporting a problem with the site, which CBR seems to be disrespectfully blowing off, instead of addressing at all. So my respectful question to the mods -- is CBR actually looking at the ads and the problems they are causing? Or are they ignoring this, and users can just lump it or leave? I'd just like to be informed so I can make a decision.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 11-06-2015 at 01:59 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?