Default Walt Simonson is "dismayed" about the Orion Omnibus

Couldnt find this anywhere in the forums, and I think it warrants its own thread (sorry if someone already started one).

Simonson is quite upset with DC for the treatment that his Orion run is getting with the new reprint:

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.p...-simonson.html

I have never read this run and was quite looking forward to getting caught up with it considering the amount of praise it gets; but now Im not sure if its worth the asking price. Having all the backup stories at the end and breaking the intended story flow seems like a big deal to me, can folks who have read it share their thoughts on how much of an impact it would have for a first time reader?

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

We've been talking about it for the past few weeks in the "Clasics and Collected" forum.

While I would say that the omnibus is not ideal as far as the placement of the backups, it is still a very nice package all around, and likely to be the only collection of these stories we're going to get. (Yes, there is an older tpb of the first five issues, and Tales of the New Gods does collect the backups.) My advice is to get two bookmarks-- use one for the lead stories, and use another for the backups. It's a fairly simple system that worked for me. In addition, the last page of every lead story announces who the artist (and occasional writer) for the next issue's backup is, which also makes it easy to track. Again, not ideal, but not exactly a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    We've been talking about it for the past few weeks in the "Clasics and Collected" forum.

Oh ok, thanks for replying then. I never go in that section.

While I would say that the omnibus is not ideal as far as the placement of the backups, it is still a very nice package all around, and likely to be the only collection of these stories we're going to get. (Yes, there is an older tpb of the first five issues, and Tales of the New Gods does collect the backups.) My advice is to get two bookmarks-- use one for the lead stories, and use another for the backups. It's a fairly simple system that worked for me. In addition, the last page of every lead story announces who the artist (and occasional writer) for the next issue's backup is, which also makes it easy to track. Again, not ideal, but not exactly a disaster.
    Yeah, its a bit of a chore but what can be done about it; as you say this is likely the only thats going to happen for quite some time - if ever again.

Amazing Member

I wonder if they already printed all the copies. If not, someone over at DC could easily fix this just by editing the digital file so all the pages are in order?

Didio promised that the stories will be in the proper order if there are going to be regular collections in the future.
    BB

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by heatvision View Post
    I wonder if they already printed all the copies. If not, someone over at DC could easily fix this just by editing the digital file so all the pages are in order?
    All of the copies of the omnibus have been printed. That's how printing works.

As noted above, regular trades, if produced, will be corrected.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

DC's correction conditional promise is insufficient IMHO. Some want a correct Omnibus...not x number of correct tpbs.

DC should do an extra limited printing of the Omnibus, this time correct. Possibly allow fans to trade in the incorrect one.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-27-2015 at 12:40 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    All of the copies of the omnibus have been printed. That's how printing works.

As noted above, regular trades, if produced, will be corrected.
    I'm not asking how the printing process works. I was wondering if they already made all of them. Did they already print all of them and have them sit in a warehouse until shipping can distribute them to retailers? Or is some technician at the factory waiting a few more days to print and assemble the books based on the instructions in his digital file?

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heatvision View Post
    I'm not asking how the printing process works. I was wondering if they already made all of them. Did they already print all of them and have them sit in a warehouse until shipping can distribute them to retailers? Or is some technician at the factory waiting a few more days to print and assemble the books based on the instructions in his digital file?
    Kind of irrevelant as the omnibus is already on the market. It's a great book, too, even if it's flawed. It's worth buying if you love the New Gods and you love Walt Simonson's work. To be quite frank, I'm surpised it was reprinted. I'm probably the biggest Simonson fan around, and I was surprised DC reprinted it. I don't think we'll ever get those corrected tpb collections. (We should, but I don't see the demand.)

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I don't think we'll ever get those corrected tpb collections. (We should, but I don't see the demand.)
    Eventually we may. But, "eventually" here could mean twenty years. Could mean five.

I think The Invisibles is the only DC omnibus I was entirely happy with, as far as the order or things and the corrections all being made. Others all seem to leave easily correctable flaws, or have an unsatisfactory-to-me order to the stories (not that my order would be to everyone's taste, either, but maybe the authors'?).
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Isn't the Sleeper omnibus the best DC omnibus in terms of production?
    BB

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I think The Invisibles is the only DC omnibus I was entirely happy with, as far as the order or things and the corrections all being made. Others all seem to leave easily correctable flaws, or have an unsatisfactory-to-me order to the stories (not that my order would be to everyone's taste, either, but maybe the authors'?).
    What about Doom Patrol or Animal Man?
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Time to necro this thread of mine, seems DC kept their promise... I already preordered this:

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/APR180275

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Time to necro this thread of mine, seems DC kept their promise... I already preordered this:

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/APR180275
    Oo nice...