View Poll Results: How Would You Rank This Run?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+ Brilliant. The Best Diana Has Been

7 29.17%
  • A Very Good

14 58.33%
  • B Decent

1 4.17%
  • C Average

1 4.17%
  • D Below Average

1 4.17%
  • F Poor

0 0%

Default Rank Greg Rucka's Run

Post your thoughts on the Greg Rucka run.

Astonishing Member

Overall, it's still my favorite. It's the run that got me to really buy-in to WW. And, though I read them out of order, it feels like Perez WW all grown up.

The main downside is that it got caught up in Infinite Crisis, and then cut short.

Eta - I gave it an "A," because, while very good, it still has room for improvement.
    Last edited by Awonder; 05-27-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Overall it's a top tier run IMO ... but I have to say it didn't live up to The Hiketeia for me. Agreed with Awonder that it's too bad it got caught up in IC ... and I've never been sure how I felt about Max Lord's death. I've never been one to consider it "Murder" as I've seen posted, but I didn't love that Diana became the hero who was willing to kill either. I prefered her as the hero who rehabilitated her villains.

1360370-wonder_20woman_20v2_20219_2022.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Overall it's a top tier run IMO ... but I have to say it didn't live up to The Hiketeia for me. Agreed with Awonder that it's too bad it got caught up in IC ... and I've never been sure how I felt about Max Lord's death. I've never been one to consider it "Murder" as I've seen posted, but I didn't love that Diana became the hero who was willing to kill either. I prefered her as the hero who rehabilitated her villains.

1360370-wonder_20woman_20v2_20219_2022.jpg
    She still has a lower body count than most heroes who do.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Can't she do both? Be willing to kill and try to reform? I don't think one approach fits all.

At the time, I liked that Diana was willing to kill. I didn't like that IC then went on to make her the bad guy of the trinity; and I don't like that other writers *cough*Johns*cough* went on to over fixate on Diana, the warrior,Max if she just wants to kill everything. Thank goodness that Johns seems to be coming around and doing better lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    She still has a lower body count than most heroes who do.
    not really the point ... I don't really care about heroes killing or not killing (personally I think Batman's "code" is silly). I just find that killing flies directly into the face of her earliest beliefs so I find it more out of character for her than others, but it's not a "deal breaker" for me like it seems to be for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Can't she do both? Be willing to kill and try to reform? I don't think one approach fits all.

At the time, I liked that Diana was willing to kill. I didn't like that IC then went on to make her the bad guy of the trinity; and I don't like that other writers *cough*Johns*cough* went on to over fixate on Diana, the warrior,Max if she just wants to kill everything. Thank goodness that Johns seems to be coming around and doing better lately.
    Certainly she can do both, but I prefered her as a reformer ... it fits with her concept IMO ... killing her enemies works for me when they are monsters that cannot be redeemed, but Max? Seemed a little abrupt to have her kill him, even if you call it a justifiable homicide.
    Last edited by Darius; 05-27-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

I prefer WW primarily as a reformer, too, and Rucka's run cold use more of this. The fight with Medusa was pretty cool, and it made for some great moments, including the comparison to Max as a monster. But, in retrospect, I wonder if it would be more interesting if Diana had helped Medusa reform.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    I prefer WW primarily as a reformer, too, and Rucka's run cold use more of this. The fight with Medusa was pretty cool, and it made for some great moments, including the comparison to Max as a monster. But, in retrospect, I wonder if it would be more interesting if Diana had helped Medusa reform.
    That could have been a cool twist! Rucka certainly liked to pile heaps o'crap onto Diana during his run ... she never seemed to catch a break under his pen so I suppose she was a tad busy to try and reform one of mythologies nastiest b*tches

Absolutely my favorite run. I had no problems with her killing Max Lord. I do wish Rucka portrayed Medusa in a more sympathetic way, rather than just a creature out for revenge, but the battle scene between her and Diana was amazing. Love that Rucka tied up loose ends with Vanessa as the Silver Swan, plus his Doctor Psycho was scary as hell. I love that Diana had her own supporting cast at the embassy (I've always found them very interesting). Ferdinand and Io were great additions to her cast, as well. Ares was sleek and sexy, which was a nice change from his earlier depictions.

The only thing I didn't really care for is his focus on Veronica Cale, who I found to be slightly irritating and not engaging as a villain.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Absolutely my favorite run. I had no problems with her killing Max Lord. I do wish Rucka portrayed Medusa in a more sympathetic way, rather than just a creature out for revenge, but the battle scene between her and Diana was amazing. Love that Rucka tied up loose ends with Vanessa as the Silver Swan, plus his Doctor Psycho was scary as hell. I love that Diana had her own supporting cast at the embassy (I've always found them very interesting). Ferdinand and Io were great additions to her cast, as well. Ares was sleek and sexy, which was a nice change from his earlier depictions.

The only thing I didn't really care for is his focus on Veronica Cale, who I found to be slightly irritating and not engaging as a villain.
    I totally agree with you, Nyssane, except for Veronica; I like her. I'm still disappointed Doom Patrol stole her and never gave her back. With her running her own island country of evil scientists, she would have been great for WW.

The embassy (the best setting for WW, imo), Silver Swan, Psycho, Io - lots of good stuff.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

My least favorite run before JMS/Hester and New52. The Hiketeia was an interesting idea born of a failure to grasp the essence of the character. Wonder Woman isn't fenced in by ancient customs and conventions; she breaks through them, and calls them on the nonsense they are. And unfortunately it started a trend of po-faced stories in which Greek mythology was front and center.

The run on the main title seemed to me to be slow-motion replays of Hiketeia. The payoff to the buildup always was that Wonder Woman was boxed in and forced to do something drastic, like blind herself or kill Maxwell Lord. An oppressive, unliberating series of stories.

He did make interesting additions to the supporting cast. I miss the days when Wonder Woman had one.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Spectacular Member

Loved it. It's what really got me interested in Wonder Woman. Until I stumbled upon it most of my thoughts of Wonder Woman was based on the few bits and pieces that I knew of the Lynda carter TV series, which I just found total cringe.

I wish he could write for her again. If he can't at least bring Ferdinand back!

BANNED

This was a really great run, Rucka should write WW again