Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why doesnt black lightning have a series?

Black lightning is awesome. He's powerful and interesting enough to get a shot at a solo series. Why can't get one? Or Atleast be the star of a team book?
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    Black lightning is awesome. He's powerful and interesting enough to get a shot at a solo series. Why can't get one? Or Atleast be the star of a team book?
    Not sure, and he should be headlining an Outsiders book.
    I think they wen't a bit to retro with his year one series, and it didn't take.
    They need to stick with a modern version and look.
    Also his stint with Blue Devil was an odd pairing?

BLACK LIGHTNING APPRECIATION THREAD
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-27-2015 at 02:28 PM.

BANNED

Two reasons come to mind. One is that whatever the contractual situation is with his creator Tony Isabella might lead to DC not making 100% of the profit from a Black Lightning book, so they would rather focus on characters where they have full ownership.

It's also possible that DC has not been given indication that there is sufficient demand for a book about Black Lightning to be financially feasible, relative to other projects they can put their limited resources towards.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Two reasons come to mind. One is that whatever the contractual situation is with his creator Tony Isabella might lead to DC not making 100% of the profit from a Black Lightning book, so they would rather focus on characters where they have full ownership.

It's also possible that DC has not been given indication that there is sufficient demand for a book about Black Lightning to be financially feasible, relative to other projects they can put their limited resources towards.
    Both reasons make sense although for the second one I think building him up and hiring quality talent wouldn't hurt.
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

Incredible Member

I agree, he is a cool character. Would love to see him in a new Outsiders book at least.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    Both reasons make sense although for the second one I think building him up and hiring quality talent wouldn't hurt.
    Well, sure, but that could be said for any character.

Well, sure, but that could be said for any character.
    I say any character can become popular or atleast good enough to hold series with promotion and a good creative team. I just wish dc would have more faith in their more obscure characters. Give them a legitimate chance and a good run. Im happy they are Atleast trying with cyborg, black canary, starfire, etc. I just think black lightning is cool. I honestly think his time will come in the next ten years

I wouldn't mind a Black Lightning series. Though with his powers I wonder what type of scale the stories would be.

Invincible Member

That's kinda what I sorta speculate...that it has to do with Isabella's rocky relationship with DC management. The character has fans which is why he keeps popping up every so often. I wonder if it's something like the rumored reason Cable, Deadpool, and X-Force became Soldier X, Agent X, and X-Static...cuz someone figured they wouldn't have to pay Rob Leifeld royalties if those names aren't the title of the books.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That's kinda what I sorta speculate...that it has to do with Isabella's rocky relationship with DC management. The character has fans which is why he keeps popping up every so often. I wonder if it's something like the rumored reason Cable, Deadpool, and X-Force became Soldier X, Agent X, and X-Static...cuz someone figured they wouldn't have to pay Rob Leifeld royalties if those names aren't the title of the books.
    im actually not sure if thats true or not but doesnt quite makes sense, it was still cable and deadpool on those cases
    the case of Isabella is different on the sense that when the Superfriends show was going on they created an entirely new character named Black Vulcan to Not pay for the rights of Black Lighting

Actually, Why doesnt Black Vulcan have a series?
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 05-28-2015 at 12:51 AM.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

As far as the rights, it's complicated. As far as the quality, well... why didn't you read the '90s Isabella/Newell series? Some of the best art going around, and meaningful stories. If that series-- which is as good as comes-- didn't suceed, why expect a new one? (Unless you want to subvert creator rights... which I don't think you do, but that's what we're talking about.)

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    Because Paul Levitz negotiated certain creator rights after the Superfriends series (to his credit), but Isabella and VonEedan were still left in a grey zone. DC tried to do right-- and in most cases, did do right-- but this is one of those cases where the derivative character was before the equity share. Still, it's too risky to play with Black Vulcan because it's so obviously a derivative character.

I guess the unsaid question is, "Do you want creators to get screwed?"
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 05-27-2015 at 11:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Always liked reading him.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    im actually not sure if thats true or not but doesnt quite makes sense, it was still cable and deadpool on those cases
    the case of Isabella is different on the sense that when the Superfriends show was going on they created an entirely new character named Black Vulcan to Not pay for the rights of Black Lighting

I'm not 100% certain, but the way I understood it was Marvel doesn't have to pay Rob for using the character, but they do have to pay him him if the character's name is part of the title of a comic. Like Fanboy Stranger says it gets complicated when you get into co-ownership rights and what not

To answer the OP's question: It's because Cyborg is getting a series, and "there can only be one."