Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    BANNED

His name is too much like Black Panther, who is better established. I think he does need another one.

And maybe the next step for him should be a RECURRING mini.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    How old is BL now?

If they want to make his name palatable, yes, change the color of his lightning effect to black, grey or dark purple. If Flash can get the Speed Force, then BL can get the Black Lighting Force. A second option would be to retire the original BL and allow one of his children (or grandchildren) to assume the name as a legacy. Then and only then would it be marginally acceptable to use the term Black on a superhero of color. Otherwise, let's all just agree that it's not the 70s anymore and we no longer need to identify and interact with individuals first and foremost according to their ethnicity. It's time to move on.
    It would be interesting to have the numbers on how many minorities made it through the racial gauntlet in the 70's,80's,and 90's and how many didn't in terms of education,jobs,wealth and whatever parameters you choose to use. The real problem is the perception that the welfare queen era still persists and when the break occurs it leads to Black Bridezilla and Snoop Dog cruising 3rd rate colleges to film naked co eds. I would rather see an ethnic identification occur with any group providing it allows for some cross cultural assimilation as well. It's only time to move on when the playing field is level and a recognition that we all need to pull together to survive the right wing onslaught threatening to pull us all down.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    His name is too much like Black Panther, who is better established. I think he does need another one.
    I'm not sure that changing the name of a character that has been around since 1977, in many different series and various media, and is about to debut in a TV show under that name, is really going to improve his popularity. Certainly his existing fans, who are not negligible and represent a starting point to build on, are not likely to be thrilled with that. Why not change his powers while you're at it? After all, Storm, Lightning Lad, Electro, and Static can all throw lightning bolts too.

And his name is too much like Black Panther? DC has both Green Lantern and Green Arrow, and somehow nobody ever gets them confused...
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

If the show does good, I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Bendis on a Black Lightning series.
    It would be the perfect vehicle for him to get started on taking over DC's street level heroes.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.