Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    because he is suppossed to be a secret agent/soldier? I was just wondering, I diubt he will buff up too much anyway
    Secret Agents / Soldier don't necessarily need bulked up frames.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Secret Agents / Soldier don't necessarily need bulked up frames.
    They do in Hollywood, even the nerdy analysts!

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    I can accept this casting and I think it is a good call although no offense to Wonder Woman fans but I had hopes for him to be cast in a bigger role in the DC Universe but I can accept this so long as they don't make him behave like the Wonder Woman animated movie Steve Trevor.

Yep Wonder Woman isn't impressed with all the superficial stuff but she is more impressed with the truth of character in a person and can see the good heart within a person whether they be a secret agent or a reporter for example.
    I liked the animated movie Steve, though maybe it's just because it was Nathan Fillion and I like his bravado act.

As for The Brave and the Bold, since it's a Batman cartoon, I always pegged whatever Batman says is absolute truth, so if he think Steve Trevor is an insufferable, pathetic, and incompetent guy who gets by on luck, then we're supposed to laugh and agree with Batman. I'm pretty okay with that, since the most popular version of Steve Trevor, Lyle Waggoner's, was a largely pathetic and incompetent guy who got by on luck. Hey, it was a campy 70's show, and that Steve was perfectly okay for the context.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    They do in Hollywood, even the nerdy analysts!
    Actually, I think that distinction is even more prevalent in the comic books. Every hero is a roided up bodybuilder while every heroine is a member of the silicone nation. At least that is what most artists seem to draw when doing the artwork for the heroes/heroines.

BANNED

Actually, I think that distinction is even more prevalent in the comic books. Every hero is a roided up bodybuilder while every heroine is a member of the silicone nation. At least that is what most artists seem to draw when doing the artwork for the heroes/heroines.
    yeah that was and still is the standart for majority of comic book artists.

Oh sure, everyone in comic books looks like he's on steroids, and artists can draw physiques that aren't humanly possible. But I like to call the mid-1990's onward the "Steroid Era" of Hollywood, too, because half of Hollywood's leading men probably take steroids, too.

Pine's physique is fine, but I'm guessing he's going to be asked to hit the gym as a matter of SOP.

As for The Brave and the Bold, since it's a Batman cartoon, I always pegged whatever Batman says is absolute truth, so if he think Steve Trevor is an insufferable, pathetic, and incompetent guy who gets by on luck, then we're supposed to laugh and agree with Batman. I'm pretty okay with that, since the most popular version of Steve Trevor, Lyle Waggoner's, was a largely pathetic and incompetent guy who got by on luck. Hey, it was a campy 70's show, and that Steve was perfectly okay for the context.
    I'm wondering if you could point to an actual episode or plot point where the TV Trevor was pathetic and incompetent? This strikes me as one of those statements that reflects the "conventional wisdom" but isn't really true. What I recall is a man who was very brave and confident, perhaps a little reckless.

Steve frequently needed to be rescued,but if that's the criteria then it seems to me that every superhero's supporting cast is pathetic. It's a genre trope. The supporting players exist so that the heroes can be heroic.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Incredible Member

I liked the animated movie Steve, though maybe it's just because it was Nathan Fillion and I like his bravado act.

To be honest I haven't seen the Wonder Woman Animated movie because everything I have seen doesn't agree with me but even though I agree Nathan Fillion is the saving grace Steve in that film I still feel that the character is a "damaged male that wants attention" cliché, so yeah I guess my favourite depiction of Steve is the Justice League animated show because he was a man of action who was some what cheeky and didn't object to being saved by a (Wonder) Woman.

I haven't seen much of the 70's Wonder Woman show but from what I have seen it is mostly Diana doing the work and Steve remains to pretty much report on Wonder Woman helping the allied forces, but honestly I don't mind this as much because that's what support characters are for really, I don't want repeats of chairs being used to push extra terrestrial robots out of tall buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I'm wondering if you could point to an actual episode or plot point where the TV Trevor was pathetic and incompetent? This strikes me as one of those statements that reflects the "conventional wisdom" but isn't really true. What I recall is a man who was very brave and confident, perhaps a little reckless.

Steve frequently needed to be rescued,but if that's the criteria then it seems to me that every superhero's supporting cast is pathetic. It's a genre trope. The supporting players exist so that the heroes can be heroic.
    Okay, I'll level with you. I haven't seen an episode of WW since the FX Network first came into being in 1995, and WW was one of the first shows that got an everyday showing. So, it's been about 20 years since I've watched the show. Before that, I'd watch it on syndication during summer afternoons in the 1980's. My memory of specific details isn't very reliable, so I'll be willing to change the description what you say. Though if you want to be all that technical, I'd say reckless is on par with incompetent, because if you ask me, a competent person will not routinely bite off more than he or she can chew. One of the core attributes of competency is knowing your limitations. Let's compromise and say if anything, he essentially plays the role of of a good looking Ordinary Guy from Darkwing Duck.

But bringing us back to The Brave and the Bold, I just figured the joke in that intro skit was to play off perception that Steve really isn't that good of an agent. I mean, when he's chained to the missile, he's all like, "Relax, Batbro, Wonder Woman is going to save me like she always does!" James Bond finds ways to get out of his pickles, and Steve doesn't even bother because he has the best safety net; moral hazard pays off for him.

BANNED

well as long the people being saved arent love interest viewers dont have a problem.

Okay, I'll level with you. I haven't seen an episode of WW since the FX Network first came into being in 1995, and WW was one of the first shows that got an everyday showing. So, it's been about 20 years since I've watched the show. Before that, I'd watch it on syndication during summer afternoons in the 1980's. My memory of specific details isn't very reliable, so I'll be willing to change the description what you say. Though if you want to be all that technical, I'd say reckless is on par with incompetent, because if you ask me, a competent person will not routinely bite off more than he or she can chew. One of the core attributes of competency is knowing your limitations. Let's compromise and say if anything, he essentially plays the role of of a good looking Ordinary Guy from Darkwing Duck.

But bringing us back to The Brave and the Bold, I just figured the joke in that intro skit was to play off perception that Steve really isn't that good of an agent. I mean, when he's chained to the missile, he's all like, "Relax, Batbro, Wonder Woman is going to save me like she always does!" James Bond finds ways to get out of his pickles, and Steve doesn't even bother because he has the best safety net; moral hazard pays off for him.
    Yeah, that is definitely the joke in the B&B episode. If we are going to step outside the universe and be "meta" about it, Steve is always failing. But I think the live action series always portrayed him as an admirable guy, never as a cocky bungler.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Yeah, that is definitely the joke in the B&B episode. If we are going to step outside the universe and be "meta" about it, Steve is always failing. But I think the live action series always portrayed him as an admirable guy, never as a cocky bungler.
    Yeah, agreed. He's a good guy on the 1970's show. That's why I used "insufferable" to describe The Brave and the Bold version but not the Waggoner one.

Yeah, agreed. He's a good guy on the 1970's show. That's why I used "insufferable" to describe The Brave and the Bold version but not the Waggoner one.
    I found nearly all of the male characters in The Brave and the Bold could be called insufferable. I believe, in many ways, that's one of the satirical threads running through the series.

Ultimate Member

I doubt that Steve will be like that in this film. Pine's track record when it comes to action movies is what I would refer to as "kind of sort of." His characters are "kind of sort of" action heroes. They're competent, but hardly uber-badass. His Kirk for example is good at thinking on his feet/coming up with plans on the fly. But he also gets his ass handed to him a lot (he gets beat up in that bar fight in ST09, and also by Spock, Nero, and Khan). So I think that Steve will maybe be similar. Not an idiot, but also not overshadowing WW in terms of skill either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Haha, I believe Bats' line right after that thumbs up is "What does she see in him?" Good episode.
    Any episode where Batman is jealous of Steve is a good episode.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I'd prefer Ryan Gosling or if going with a relatively unknown actor, Trai Byers (Selma/Empire). Chris is great as Captain Kirk, so I'd kind of like to see him play a different role.