Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Nightwing #30 - series conclusion - Preview/Discussion

A preview of Nightwing following the "reveal" of his fate in Forevel Evil #7. This conclusion will connect with the launch of the Grayson: Agent of Spyral in July.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/uncat...conclusion/#/0

Just from the few pages you can see that the real tragedy of this storyline is the emotional toll it will have on Alfred. However, I am more confused about the scene taking place between Bruce and Dick.

Given what Bruce is saying, does anyone else interpret this issue as possibly taking place sometime in the future? Surely he can't be referring to FE?

BANNED

This is so stupid, why shouldn't Alfred know about this plan? This is a such dick move by Dick and Bruce.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    This is so stupid, why shouldn't Alfred know about this plan? This is a such dick move by Dick and Bruce.
    Gotta admit, you'd have to be a f.cking a-hole to do something like that.
    I mean, he's Alfred. Don't tell me they're afraid he will spill the beans! The guy has been keeping every one's secret since day one.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Spectacular Member

Alfred is usually among those in the know of a big plan, as the Bat office has continually prized him with being Bruce's closest confidant. I feel optimistic that whether in Nightwing or Batman, an explanation will be given for the amount of secrecy Bruce is asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by sidekick77 View Post
    Alfred is usually among those in the know of a big plan, as the Bat office has continually prized him with being Bruce's closest confidant. I feel optimistic that whether in Nightwing or Batman, an explanation will be given for the amount of secrecy Bruce is asking for.
    Just going be the little bit of information they've given us, it seems that Spyral is surrounding Batman, and perhaps the superhero community in general, on all sides, trying to determine pasts, identities, and the like for purposes of their own. Dick's mission may be Batman's attempt to discover what they know and what they are up to. If that is the case, Batman may insist on absolute secrecy simply because the Bat Family does not know who they can trust outside their own ranks, and they may be under constant surveillance. If someone were to inadvertently give an indication that Dick is alive, not in the sense of betraying the secret but simply by acting in a way that an observer might find inappropriate or suspicious, it could be very dangerous. He may convince Luthor, Catwoman, and Cyborg to go along for the same reasons, as they may be under threat and surveillance as well, and as Dick would be acting on behalf of the superhero community as a whole.

On another note, I find it interesting that Bruce is leaning heavily on the "brother/bromance" angle, and seems intent on treating Dick, not precisely as an equal, but in a way that emphasizes his agency and dignity (especially when you consider that Dick might have overheard the conversation with Alfred about him not being a boy). It's a good way to start off a series in which Dick will be the main actor, and probably a necessary correction to the Boy Hostage aspects of Forever Evil.

Leslie Tompkins either dyed her hair black or they've de-aged her in the New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Gotta admit, you'd have to be a f.cking a-hole to do something like that.
    I mean, he's Alfred. Don't tell me they're afraid he will spill the beans! The guy has been keeping every one's secret since day one.
    I agree that it seems a-hole-ish, but man, I'm such a sucker for sad Alfred. Be sure that Mr. Pennyworth will have words with Mr. Wayne, when the truth finally comes out.

Agreed. In the mean time, I'm going to enjoy the ride.

BANNED

If Spyral wakes up one day and decides to assassinate everyone who knows Dick is one of their agents, who would you want them to kill? Batman is just protecting everyone. Spyral is dangerous.

That said, why does it matter if Leslie told Spyral who Batman is? They already know everything.
    Last edited by ReverseReverseFlash; 05-24-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseReverseFlash View Post
    If Spyral wakes up one day and decides to assassinate everyone who knows Dick is one of their agents, who would you want them to kill? Batman is just protecting everyone. Spyral is dangerous.

That said, why does it matter if Leslie told Spyral who Batman is? They already know everything.
    Kathy seemed content to keep his secret, and it's pretty obvious why. Leverage. She can walk in and walk out and execute people in front of Bruce and he can't touch her because she knows his secret identity. She can use his big Batman operations as bolsters to her own operations and then swoop in and smash his codes of honor in front of him. And he can't do anything. Kathy is in control. But she does respect and like and have a history with him - she's not going to make a habit of it.

But if there's rogue agents within Spyral who might have used their complete autonomy to defy Kathy's standing orders, maybe "Netz loyalists" or something, they might've interrogated a Leslie Thompkins for confirmation or something. Key details are missing from this preview. Very key details. What we get is some okay Burnham-esque art, somebody actually giving a bit of Alfred/Bruce action/interaction, and proper brotherly bonding between Bruce and Dick. And come on ... with an impetus like that; "Batman and his prodigy are going to spar, and Nightwing HAS TO WIN", it's not just classic comics ... it's got a stellar sense of agency.

Grayson has to beat Wayne. Ironically, one issue after Higgins left, we get the full-circle. Bruce smacked Dick's tooth out, now Dick gets his brotherly payback.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I'm definitely intrigued now by this.

Maybe this can put Grayson back on the top and when he returns to Nightwing in a year, maybe 2, he can finally be at the top like he is supposed to be in the Nu52 universe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Kathy seemed content to keep his secret, and it's pretty obvious why. Leverage. She can walk in and walk out and execute people in front of Bruce and he can't touch her because she knows his secret identity. She can use his big Batman operations as bolsters to her own operations and then swoop in and smash his codes of honor in front of him. And he can't do anything. Kathy is in control. But she does respect and like and have a history with him - she's not going to make a habit of it.

But if there's rogue agents within Spyral who might have used their complete autonomy to defy Kathy's standing orders, maybe "Netz loyalists" or something, they might've interrogated a Leslie Thompkins for confirmation or something. Key details are missing from this preview. Very key details. What we get is some okay Burnham-esque art, somebody actually giving a bit of Alfred/Bruce action/interaction, and proper brotherly bonding between Bruce and Dick. And come on ... with an impetus like that; "Batman and his prodigy are going to spar, and Nightwing HAS TO WIN", it's not just classic comics ... it's got a stellar sense of agency.

Grayson has to beat Wayne. Ironically, one issue after Higgins left, we get the full-circle. Bruce smacked Dick's tooth out, now Dick gets his brotherly payback.
    Great analysis. I just hope the writers understand it that well.

I do like that Bruce NEEDS Dick to kick his ass, this time. He won't be able to sleep at night if he sends Dick out there with his training unfinished. He won't be under Bruce's watch anymore. Whether it be close or from a distance, Grayson is about to become completely cut off from his friends and family. Legally, he IS dead.

The problem with anyone knowing Dick is alive, they'll just come after him. Tim will want to bring him home, Alfred will be going behind Bruce's back to talk to him, etc.

The agreement with Spyral is that your former life dies. You are dead. The only members who retain their contact with the outside are sleeper agents like the Hood.

BANNED

It's not RIGHT to put an old man through such grief.

I still think keeping Alfred and Babs in the dark really loses a lot of weight when so many other characters already know he is alive, like Catwoman, Owlman, Lex and the whole Justice League probably. I think if they were going to sell the concept rather than just use it to force some drama later they needed it to be a lot tighter story where only Bruce knows, but it was clear Johns in Forever Evil had no interest in setting it up.

Still, aside from that it looks fine. If Dick can actually land a few hits on Bruce as some payback for the backhand in Owls that would be better than a lot of what Higgins' did. I want the character to do more badass things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I still think keeping Alfred and Babs in the dark really loses a lot of weight when so many other characters already know he is alive, like Catwoman, Owlman, Lex and the whole Justice League probably. I think if they were going to sell the concept rather than just use it to force some drama later they needed it to be a lot tighter story where only Bruce knows, but it was clear Johns in Forever Evil had no interest in setting it up.

Still, aside from that it looks fine. If Dick can actually land a few hits on Bruce as some payback for the backhand in Owls that would be better than a lot of what Higgins' did. I want the character to do more badass things.
    Yeah, it's like: Catwoman and Lex Luthor are more trustworthy than Alfred? It would be reasonable for Alfred to quit Bruce's employ--I certainly wouldn't stick around in a job where I was burying children (comparatively speaking) every couple of months.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

When I was a kid I thought working for Batman would rock, now I think it'd be the worst job ever.

Every other week a kid dies, and he treats you like crap.