Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    Half the grown ups in your country still believe this.
    It's not the WHOLE world, just all the important bits.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

It's been so long, I can't think of too many that I might have had.

I do remember thinking that actors on TV shows, even though I knew they were pretending to be characters, just made up everything they were doing and saying on the spot.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    I thought atheists were villains.
    I grew up in a fairly conservative area. I can remember thinking atheists were all god-hating terrors (or liberals in general). I also thought AIDS just happened when two guys had sex.
    Yeah suffice it to say I had some issues to work out.

On a lighter note, I though diarrhea was the body's inability to separate poop and pee. If you got sick, your body just let it all out at once.

I do remember thinking that actors on TV shows, even though I knew they were pretending to be characters, just made up everything they were doing and saying on the spot.
    I still kinda feel like Lucy Ricardo really was in Italy stomping grapes and that the Golden Girls where in Florida. It probably didn't help that Disney World had a model of the Golden Girls house.

I thought that the CD key you needed to unlock the game was the password you had to use for online play.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

I thought all actors on shows were really in relationships irl
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

I thought that meteorologists created lightning with their clickers they use to move to the next screen.

I thought the universe revolved around me. That I was the only person with consciousness somehow..

I thought the Great Pumpkin from Charlie Brown was 'real' like Santa Clause.

I thought the Disney Haunted Mansion was a real haunted house with real ghosts.

I thought that James Hetfield of Metallica was Hulk Hogan the wrestler (the mustaches!).

I thought when you had your tonsils removed, a large man came and ripped them out of your throat while others held you down.

I had a vivid imagination.. and my mom told me alot of bullsh** apparently lol.

Living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
    What misconceptions did you guys have when y'all were younger or as a child?

Here's an example: when I was around 6 to about 8 years old, I thought movies were like a glimpse into something really happening. Like in night of the living dead, they were real zombies eating people, until my dad told me that it was all just people pretending behind a camera.

Also, I thought that Santa was God in some form, because I didn't really understand what Santa had to do with Christ's birth, so I naturally thought that he was Jesus's father God, and that he gave out presents because it was his son's birthday!

Another one when I was young; I thought people didn't move if I wasn't looking at them.

Those are just ones I can think of off the top of my head, I will list some more later when I remember them.
    I always used to think TV was a look into someone's real life.
    Read Prophet, live Stray Bullets.

When I was very young I thought movie theater screens were giant televisions and that guns fired some kind of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Did you randomly choose your avatar ? Because if not, you have an excellent taste and I felt compelled to tell it to you.
    Why thank you, my old avatar was a picture of fried chicken and I had it for years. And no, I did not choose it randomly, I've always had an a thing for the idea of the samurai and ronins, just because I feel as if I was born into the wrong age sometimes. Kind of like Marv from sin city who should've been born in barbarian times.

Edit: ??? His post seems to have been deleted??? Weird
    Last edited by Cotton; 05-26-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
    Here's an example: when I was around 6 to about 8 years old, I thought movies were like a glimpse into something really happening. Like in night of the living dead, they were real zombies eating people, until my dad told me that it was all just people pretending behind a camera.
    Yeah, I thought that the people who played stormtroopers really died. I knew the rest of the Star Wars movies weren't real so I don't know why I thought that. But I did.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eye of all View Post
    I had the opposite problem, in a way: When I was very little, I thought everything on TV was fake and that you were supposed to know all the time it as fake.

Late single digits, I firmly believed a global anarchist revolution was coming, for various reasons.

I still tease my brother on occasion because, as a kid, he combined the fact we have a blind musician in the family with some of our cousins being noticeably black, to believe that Stevie Wonder was our cousin. But, I spent the same years convinced that everyone I met and liked was "probably my cousin," on account of "cousin" being the family catchall for relatives or friends of the family.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Once thought it was a good idea to make xerox copies of money and try to spend those copies (similar to an episode of Beavis and Butthead).

Also thought only gay people got AIDS.

Finally, I thought the term "playboy" meant that a guy had a lot of toys at home to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Yeah, I thought that the people who played stormtroopers really died. I knew the rest of the Star Wars movies weren't real so I don't know why I thought that. But I did.
    Well little kids are stupid and don't know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by eye of all View Post
    Oh my God yes!!!

I would argue with my Mom that Kevin from the Wonder years re-runs didn't have to go to sleep. I thought people just filmed them from he top of their house. I thought it was soo cool. UNTIL I watched the Lost Boys, and couldn't go back to sleep I was so scared.

I used to think that all countries were some variant of America, that the 'third world" were countries on other planets.

I thought the D in the Disney logo was a backwards G.