Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: The Infinity Gauntlet, #1

Dustin Weaver and Gerry Duggan deliver a high-octane cosmic adventure in "The Infinity Gauntlet" #1.

Full review here.

[spoiler]Grandpa Bakian is probably dead now but I really hope he isn't.[/spoiler]

Quote Originally Posted by marvelousmetalmouse View Post
    spoilers:
    Grandpa Bakian is probably dead now but I really hope he isn't.
    end of spoilers
    Spoiler tags are [ spoil ] and [ /spoil ] without the spaces.

---

I really enjoyed the issue. I think it's a good starting point for the series. I also thought Anwen made for a good protagonist and I can't wait to see more interaction between spoilers:
    her and her mom
    end of spoilers. I would have liked to see a bit more of Thanos than what we got though. My full review is here.
    Last edited by robreedwrites; 05-28-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Loved this issue. Often I don't think the Annihilation Wave feels as threatening as they should because they are typically being dispatched by the dozens. It was nice to see an issue that focused on how dangerous they are when all you have is your natural human ability. I hope this family stick around post SW, Arwen made a pretty strong impression for only being in one 22 page story.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

It's the review thread. I think it's safe to put spoilers here without tags.

>Great writing. Great art.
    >It's nice to see a positive portrayal of a family that happens to be black. I really felt for them after only a single issue.
    >Anwen has the reality gem, eh? I hope her mother doesn't disappear at the end of this story.
    >Thanos. This should be good.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I loved this issue. I wasn't really interested until I saw the concept art. I thought black female protagonist color me intrigued. Then I saw the preview and thought I need this book. The dialogue fit so well. I immediately empathized with Anwen and her family. I loved the banter. I was pretty much giddy all week in anticipation of this book and I'm happy to say I wasn't disappointed. The art was beautiful and the story feels well set up. It felt like I was reading for about minutes despite how short it was. I wished the mom didn't comeback so fast though. I would have liked if she came in the forth issue and thanos had time to manipulate Anwen and her family.

I love how aside form the secret wars banner this doesn't feel like a secret wars tie in. It feels like a brand new story and I hope it lasts past secret wars and goes on to be a 20-30 issue epic story. I hope it blows up in popularity because it seems like the perfect book for mcu lovers or non readers. It honestly feels kinda like an image book in a way.
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    It's the review thread. I think it's safe to put spoilers here without tags.

>Great writing. Great art.
    >It's nice to see a positive portrayal of a family that happens to be black. I really felt for them after only a single issue.
    >Anwen has the reality gem, eh? I hope her mother doesn't disappear at the end of this story.
    >Thanos. This should be good.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.
    As much as I hope it's not the case, a part of me wondered if the mom showing up at the end was a result of the Reality Gem being used in someway rather than her actually being alive .

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    I loved this issue. I wasn't really interested until I saw the concept art. I thought black female protagonist color me intrigued. Then I saw the preview and thought I need this book. The dialogue fit so well. I immediately empathized with Anwen and her family. I loved the banter. I was pretty much giddy all week in anticipation of this book and I'm happy to say I wasn't disappointed. The art was beautiful and the story feels well set up. It felt like I was reading for about minutes despite how short it was. I wished the mom didn't comeback so fast though. I would have liked if she came in the forth issue and thanos had time to manipulate Anwen and her family.

I love how aside form the secret wars banner this doesn't feel like a secret wars tie in. It feels like a brand new story and I hope it lasts past secret wars and goes on to be a 20-30 issue epic story. I hope it blows up in popularity because it seems like the perfect book for mcu lovers or non readers. It honestly feels kinda like an image book in a way.
    I agree. Master of Kung Fu and Where Monsters Dwell are like this as well.

Incredible Member

Five stars? I was already curious, because I like the Nova Corps, but daaaaaang. High praise.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Loved this issue. Often I don't think the Annihilation Wave feels as threatening as they should because they are typically being dispatched by the dozens. It was nice to see an issue that focused on how dangerous they are when all you have is your natural human ability.
    Actually I thought they went a bit too far with the whole "barely surviving every point of the chase" aspect. Realistically the Annihilation Wave should have ripped them apart.
    Last edited by ShaokhaN; 05-28-2015 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Five stars? I was already curious, because I like the Nova Corps, but daaaaaang. High praise.
    It was a good issue. Very accessable, great POV characters, and Weaver's artwork all made it a win.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    Actually I thought they went a bit too far with the whole "barely surviving every point of the chase" aspect. Realistically he Annihilation Wave should have ripped them apart.
    Probably, but it was still a noticble difference compared to the canon fodder they usually are. In most "wave" stories four supers would have made short work of all of these bugs instead of spending most of the story running for their lives.
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As much as I hope it's not the case, a part of me wondered if the mom showing up at the end was a result of the Reality Gem being used in someway rather than her actually being alive .
    That would actually be a nice/tragic twist!
    Hearing good stuff so far about this title, I will def be picking it up.

Really good. The chase scene was really intense and perfectly handled.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    Actually I thought they went a bit too far with the whole "barely surviving every point of the chase" aspect. Realistically the Annihilation Wave should have ripped them apart.
    Yeah but I would have not paid 4$ for a 6 pages comics.