Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The art is as good if not better in some case than those you quote.
    And do not confuse a first issue with an entire run. Those are different scales.

jebus2477

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    FIVE stars?

I mean it was pretty good and the art was nice but five stars? Someone here said they would give it a 9.5 outta 10. Wow. Really? You're saying it's the equal or better than Moore's run on Swamp Thing or his Watchmen, Gaiman's run on Sandman, Miller's run on Daredevil, Waid's original run on Flash, Simonson's run on Thor?

The art was good, but as good as Bolland? Arthur Adams' Longshot? Darrow? Kaluta? Vess?

I mean it was fine but this amount of hyperbole makes me like it less, like a lot less.
    So someone else enjoying it more than you did makes you like it less? That just boggles my mind.
    Plus as the previous poster said, we're judging on an individual issue basis not an entire run. Are those runs amazing? Sure they are. But to say that other great works exist and this one can't be one of those because those exist is silly.

In the preview-thread I wrote the following regarding the gem Anwen found (based on color it should be the Mind Gem, but based on effect it looks like the Reality Gem. Well if these stones are anything like the originals that is):

In a way I'd actually like if it was the Mind gem and that Anwen's mother somehow was plucked and temporarily materialized from her memories and imagination. That would also give an extra layer to Thanos' comment ('that is undecidedly untrue').

That might be stretching it a bit but would also sustain the darkness of the story, where the reunion with her mother isn't real.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciriaco View Post
    In the preview-thread I wrote the following regarding the gem Anwen found (based on color it should be the Mind Gem, but based on effect it looks like the Reality Gem. Well if these stones are anything like the originals that is):

In a way I'd actually like if it was the Mind gem and that Anwen's mother somehow was plucked and temporarily materialized from her memories and imagination. That would also give an extra layer to Thanos' comment ('that is undecidedly untrue').

That might be stretching it a bit but would also sustain the darkness of the story, where the reunion with her mother isn't real.
    No, I like this idea. I mean, I want her mom to be real, but it makes it such a darker story if she's just in Anwen's mind.

I'm also wondering if maybe this Thanos isn't a villain. We think he is because of 616 Thanos, but maybe this one isn't? ETA: Yeah, as others have said, it's probably another Thanos. Still think he might be the hero (er, anti-hero).
    Last edited by Sans Simian; 05-30-2015 at 09:06 AM.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Simian View Post
    No, I like this idea. I mean, I want her mom to be real, but it makes it such a darker story if she's just in Anwen's mind.

I'm also wondering if maybe this Thanos isn't a villain. We think he is because of 616 Thanos, but maybe this one isn't? ETA: Yeah, as others have said, it's probably another Thanos. Still think he might be the hero (er, anti-hero).
    So the Thanos here is not the one who came out the ship in SW#2...?

Spectacular Member

Yes, we assume it's a different Thanos. He even looks different to me sort of like a cross between Thanos and Black Maw.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    So the Thanos here is not the one who came out the ship in SW#2...?
    It's all conjecture at this point, but I mostly say (and hope) that for three main reasons:

1) The cape/poncho that Thanos is wearing in this issue gives me a sort of pilgrim/refugee vibe from him, like he's on a journey somewhere;

2) No sign of the Cabal. We see Thanos briefly on top of the building, and then at the end pages in one of the upper floors of the building, with no sign that any one is around him;

3) You know the saying, "Be careful for what you wish for?" Right after finding the Infinity gem inside the mechs-insect, Anwen wished that her mom was there to help her fight, and then her mom shows up almost literally out of thin air. We're led to believe by Thanos's statement (and our past history with 616 Thanos) that he is going to upset the reunion by trying to kill everyone for the Gem that Anwen found, but I think just making Thanos the villain in another attempt to grab all the Gems (and really, what reality they're from is another topic of debate, since the 616 ones were destroyed when Cap used the Gauntlet to stop the first Incursion) seems predictable. Perhaps these Gems need protecting, and who better a protector than Thanos?

This is def a different Thanos that goes along with this seperate reality/continuity
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

So I got around to reading this and I'm like, "WOW!". This is the best thing I've ever read from Marvel. It felt like a book from an independent company. (I've recently come to realize I enjoy those types of books.) I really felt the family dynamic. The beautiful art relayed the feel of the chase to where it felt cinematic. The writing was fantastic. Nothing else of this whole Secret Wars has impressed me outside of Infinity Gauntlet. I love these characters after one issue. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    So I got around to reading this and I'm like, "WOW!". This is the best thing I've ever read from Marvel. It felt like a book from an independent company. (I've recently come to realize I enjoy those types of books.) I really felt the family dynamic. The beautiful art relayed the feel of the chase to where it felt cinematic. The writing was fantastic. Nothing else of this whole Secret Wars has impressed me outside of Infinity Gauntlet. I love these characters after one issue. Can't wait to see where this goes.
    Yep, it definitely feels like something that Image would publish.

Great first issue, i can't wait to read more from weaver and co.
    We need better comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    FIVE stars?

I mean it was pretty good and the art was nice but five stars? Someone here said they would give it a 9.5 outta 10. Wow. Really? You're saying it's the equal or better than Moore's run on Swamp Thing or his Watchmen, Gaiman's run on Sandman, Miller's run on Daredevil, Waid's original run on Flash, Simonson's run on Thor?

The art was good, but as good as Bolland? Arthur Adams' Longshot? Darrow? Kaluta? Vess?

I mean it was fine but this amount of hyperbole makes me like it less, like a lot less.
    What do any of these other books or writers you've mentioned have to do with the well deserved rating this book has recieved thus far?

I found this opening issue featuring a strong family overcoming tragedy and almost impossible odds, quite endearing as well as entertaining.

And even more importantly, it was a welcome respite from what passes for storytelling in the current Marvel climate so as far as I'm concerned, it was well worth the money and thotally deserving of the solid ratings.

Peace.

The fact this tie-in doesn't focus on some quirky alternate world with its 'similar but not quite' take on the usual heroes and villains, but instead focuses on just normal people, really just makes it stand-out so much. It's so far one of the few, if only, tie-in that can stand on its own without needing to be under the Secret Wars banner. That just means it's set-up and characters are already that strong.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Took a look... He has... but yeah, not very many. Darn. He's not the only one singing its praises, however.
    http://www.newsarama.com/24657-best-...-shazam-2.html

Rama Rating: 3 out of 10

It's almost like the reviewers for Newsarama, and Cbr, were reading two different books. Go figure..
    #MagnetoWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post
    http://www.newsarama.com/24657-best-...-shazam-2.html

Rama Rating: 3 out of 10

It's almost like the reviewers for Newsarama, and Cbr, were reading two different books. Go figure..
    Yeah, that review is upset that it's not a re-telling of the original. I don't think any of the tie-ins that I've read that are "continuing" a series are doing that. Very odd review. Although I agreed with their Convergence review.