Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Are Ya'll Tired of Maria Hill?

Seems like we can't get through one issue of the X-men without Maria Hill showing up. I don't dislike her, mind you, I'm just sick of her and SHIELD being in the X-books. I'm not the only one, right?

If she was doing something interesting it wouldn't be so bad but she's like this annoying thing that always butts in to everyones business. Marvel just has to promote SHIELD and the Avengers at the expense of everyone else.

BANNED

Well she's kind of the laughing stock of the X men ATM,she is an incompetent villain because the real villain UXM is Cyclops fighting against his own demons. But no, I'm not tired of her, she's quite enjoyable to read and I don't think with the image of SHIELD she projects anyone would be interested in reading about them.

BANNED

It's kind of formulaic. Characters goof, chief calls in with a mission.

I hope Hill and SHIELD disappear from the X-books post-Secret Wars. They add nothing good.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

If SHIELD was working with the X-Men to help mutants across the world (basically a mutant version of the Avengers Academy), it'd be WAY more interesting, as you'd have JGS with the government, and the NXS really would be a rebel group, but yeah...that's not the case...

She's just there to be there.

Yup. I mean, I like Maria Hill, but it took a long while to get there - she was an irritable, knee-jerk lout when she first showed up, and it took until Fraction's Invincible Iron Man run to actually tone her down and give her dimensions beyond Angry and Hates Everyone. She came out of that series with the same steel but a more nuanced personality and a P.O.V that was still aggressive but kinda understandable.

But the Maria Hill that's been cropping up in UXM and ANXM is apparently an LMD* based on a years-out-of-date brain scan, so she's back to being an obnoxious nuisance again, one whose bafflingly illogical actions serve no in-universe purpose beyond making Cyke look better by comparison. Like most other non-NXS characters in the series, then.

* - The best thing about SHIELD is that you can easily blame any instances of OOC behaviour/**** writing on a wonky Life Model Decoy and it's 100% plausible.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

BANNED

I'm only a fan of the MCU Maria Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyderman View Post
    I like her and MCU Cap. Their movie versions are SO much better than their comic versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Yup. I mean, I like Maria Hill, but it took a long while to get there - she was an irritable, knee-jerk lout when she first showed up, and it took until Fraction's Invincible Iron Man run to actually tone her down and give her dimensions beyond Angry and Hates Everyone. She came out of that series with the same steel but a more nuanced personality and a P.O.V that was still aggressive but kinda understandable.

But the Maria Hill that's been cropping up in UXM and ANXM is apparently an LMD* based on a years-out-of-date brain scan, so she's back to being an obnoxious nuisance again, one whose bafflingly illogical actions serve no in-universe purpose beyond making Cyke look better by comparison. Like most other non-NXS characters in the series, then.

* - The best thing about SHIELD is that you can easily blame any instances of OOC behaviour/**** writing on a wonky Life Model Decoy and it's 100% plausible.
    Like Rogue in Uncanny Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyderman View Post
    Yeah, me too, besides that she played by Aunt Robin.

Incredible Member

Unfortunately, yes. Maria just never really took off and filled Fury's shoes. She's always felt like she was overwhelmed in the job and Bendis has turned that up to 11 for his X-Men stuff. She's borderline incompetent. The only book where I truly enjoyed her was Invincible Iron Man. And now Nick is gone, so unless Coulson steps up, we'll be keeping her for a while yet (never made sense to me that everyone else could be forgiven for so much crap, but Nick can't get his old job back. they freaking gave Norman Osborn control of SHIELD, was Nick really that bad?).

Since Hill is a bendis creation she is probably the only way Bendis has to still make it seem like the X-men and the rest of the MU are connected to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. Maria just never really took off and filled Fury's shoes. She's always felt like she was overwhelmed in the job and Bendis has turned that up to 11 for his X-Men stuff. She's borderline incompetent. The only book where I truly enjoyed her was Invincible Iron Man. And now Nick is gone, so unless Coulson steps up, we'll be keeping her for a while yet (never made sense to me that everyone else could be forgiven for so much crap, but Nick can't get his old job back. they freaking gave Norman Osborn control of SHIELD, was Nick really that bad?).
    Well, they could put Quake in charge again.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, they could put Quake in charge again.
    You have no idea how much I want that, but I just don't see it happening. I hated how they tried it, and just quietly did away with the idea. Personally hand-picked by Nick Fury. Has the respect of Steve Rogers. Has a personality that actually feels appropriate for that kind of job. And just a total badass.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I do mind her. Kinda like her.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================