Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

My big question (esp. perhaps to Legion 564) is How Does One CONTACT an artist directly? I've linked to a lot of dealer sites, and in the case of very small press work, like say Oddly Normal (now from Image) for example, directly, if inadvertently, with the artist through letters-pages, but have had very little luck finding a connection to an artist (Moritat, for example). Any help would be gratefully accepted!

I have about forty pages now, from Cerebus and Swampthing to Boneyard and Colonia. About 2/3 of them are framed and hung on the walls, which is about as many as my sweet-heart can accept. I have perhaps a dozen other pages in a portfolio binder; many of these, as mentioned above, I bought impulsively, fell out of love with, and now pretty much 'am stuck with' [ah, them first-world 'troubles'!]. So I too now buy only what I really, really like, and can afford (which is to say, nothing in the last several months..!).
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

The Claw of Justice!

Sometimes you can just contact artists through their website (if they have one). I don't know if you can purchase original art that way, though.

Yeah I've done it mostly through their deviant art if they have on and arrange to pick it up at a con.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    My big question (esp. perhaps to Legion 564) is How Does One CONTACT an artist directly? I've linked to a lot of dealer sites, and in the case of very small press work, like say Oddly Normal (now from Image) for example, directly, if inadvertently, with the artist through letters-pages, but have had very little luck finding a connection to an artist (Moritat, for example). Any help would be gratefully accepted!

I have about forty pages now, from Cerebus and Swampthing to Boneyard and Colonia. About 2/3 of them are framed and hung on the walls, which is about as many as my sweet-heart can accept. I have perhaps a dozen other pages in a portfolio binder; many of these, as mentioned above, I bought impulsively, fell out of love with, and now pretty much 'am stuck with' [ah, them first-world 'troubles'!]. So I too now buy only what I really, really like, and can afford (which is to say, nothing in the last several months..!).
    Just look up the artist on google or yahoo or whatever search engine you like and type in the words "Comic art for sale", which is how I found a lot of art early on.
    There are sites like Theartistschoice.com which is ran by Spencer Beck who reps a lot of great artists.
    Or, you could join the comicart-l group on yahoo and just ask there. Plenty of artists are members and you might be able to reach some there.
    Last edited by Mixmaster; 09-25-2014 at 06:43 AM.

Does anyone here put art pieces into anything before framing? Im looking for mylar bags that can go into frames but am having no luck finding them.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legion564 View Post
    Does anyone here put art pieces into anything before framing? Im looking for mylar bags that can go into frames but am having no luck finding them.
    I've not heard of that. I guess an obstacle could be that there's a lot of variety in the exact size of art, so there's be no bag that would exactly fit all art? Maybe that could lead to wrinkling...? I don't know, I'm trying to picture it.
    I've only had 3 pieces professionally framed and I went to a place where they knew what they were doing and used archival material and UV glass. That way I know the art 's protected and also is great to view. But it also means I've kept that art as is, and not switched it on the wall for other pieces. Are you thinking of a system where you could more easily and cost effectively 'rotate' the art you display?
    There could be a Dragons Den idea in there!
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

The paper framer is the only site I've found that has mylar bags and can rotate your pieces around. Or am I being too worried about this and should I just go with a local framing store?

Quote Originally Posted by Legion564 View Post
    The paper framer is the only site I've found that has mylar bags and can rotate your pieces around. Or am I being too worried about this and should I just go with a local framing store?
    You must do what you feel is right, of course....
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TZpIrlcZmXQ

;-)

But honestly Legion564, I don't know. The only comic art pages I had framed were about 10 years ago I think. And I'm just as in love with them now, so I don't want to rotate the art. Maybe at least your local framing shop could advise you of your options?

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Batman View Post
    But honestly Legion564, I don't know. The only comic art pages I had framed were about 10 years ago I think. And I'm just as in love with them now, so I don't want to rotate the art. Maybe at least your local framing shop could advise you of your options?
    Haha thanks for that. I called a bunch of shops in my area and found one that has mylar incapsulation along with all the other standard archival things so I guess it's time to save for frames.

Hi Guys!
    Just to put the word out that I have 3 fantastic pages up on ebay right now: There are 2 John Paul Leon Winter Soldier / Captain America pages, and a Mark Morales Captain America / Iron Man page from Civil War (Casualties of War) done in a cool 'retro' style as a homage to the cover of Tales of Suspense #58.
    There's NO RESERVE!
    My ebay id is Pyramiddeliveries or you can see the links on my Comic Art Fans gallery page (Adam Ianbarry)

I love all 3 pages but they don't fit in with the theme of my collection and I need some money before Christmas!
    Is anyone else having an ebay art sale before the Christmas Season?

I know we're not allowed to post direct ebay links, but hopefully I'm ok to repost a link to my Comic Art Fans gallery?
    Here goes.....
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=46952

Yeesh. Tough crowd..... ;-)

Amazing Member

Here's my latest pickups:
    Jim Starlin and Alfredo Alcala splash page to The Incredible Hulk 222
    http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1179899

Lee Elias Tomb of Terror 10 (1953) cover
    http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1178333

Neal Adams Superboy 153 (1969) cover
    http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1168066

Steve Lightle Spirits of Venom pinup
    http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1177728

Damn nice art dude. Also Celtic I think everyone is saving up for presents too lol. Hey guys I had some questions about commissions. I think I'll ask for something along the quality of original comic art and he gave me a range of things. At the higher range he said something about pin ups. What is a pin up when asking for a commission?