Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Hey for those of you who know a lot about framing does it matter what kind of frame i get? Will just a plexiglass and wodden one be ok for long periods of time for a high quality paper print?
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Batman View Post
    Hi Michael, I love your Warlock and The Infinity Watch pinup... in fact I left a comment on it back in Feb! :-)
    and your page from Strange Tales #180 is Genius! One of my favourite comics as a kid, loved it!
    My CAF gallery can be found here:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=46952
    Cheers!
    You've got a great collection of art!
    Thanks for the compliments on the Starlin art. I have loved Starlin art since I was a child and to have two key pieces is still pretty cool, if I do say so myself.
    My favorite pieces in my own collection are those two, the Mazzuchelli Daredevil cover and the Ghost Rider 80 cover.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Hi,

Celtic Batman, you've got some really nice pages! Particularly like the Seaguy two-- and your arrangement of pages with 'pictures within pictures' -- do you look for those in particular?
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Gary B--
    very envious of your Usagi art! and the Mouse Guard page as well!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Mixmaster Michael--
    truly envious of your collection! Have a Luke Ross Jonah Hex, and very much like those you've obtained; and the Gene Day MOKF! Almost got a Gene Day page with Brynocki on it--one of my absolute favorite pages--but it quickly--quickly! was priced way out of (my) reach, alas.

Okay, here's a question to everyone:
    what kind of limits do you have concerning your purchases?

e.g., I buy panel pages, because, to me, that's what 'comics art' is about: sequential storytelling. I usually buy pages featuring the lead character. I've stopped buying pencils-only pages largely 'cause they're hard for me to see from any distance away. I try to keep what I purchase at/around the $100 level, just 'cause it makes me nervous to have anything more valuable in my possession;and because frankly, that's already more than I 'should' be spending on damn near anything. I don't buy anything with people shooting stabbing 'mayheming'--this stuff's up on my walls where I look at it everyday, and I get enough of the other stuff in comics themselves, and--on the news.

have discovered some other criteria, but will save mention for another post--!
    best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by Legion564 View Post
    Hey for those of you who know a lot about framing does it matter what kind of frame i get? Will just a plexiglass and wodden one be ok for long periods of time for a high quality paper print?
    From my experience, getting "acid-free" material when framing is the best way to preserve the artwork when displaying. Most custom frame jobs usually offer this along with "museum" glass that helps protect the art from UV rays, but this can be pricey. Although I do get a custom frame job occasionally for my more favorite/valuable pieces, there are ways to display your artwork without the crazy prices. What I'd do is purchase 2 pieces of acid-free matt boards from an art store and ask them to cut the proper opening for the art to show through one of the pieces (this allows you to place the artwork within the frame without it touching an acidic surface within' the frame itself).Also remember to either use acid-free photo-corners or acid-free tape to hold the artwork in place between the two pieces of matt board. Then simply place the sandwiched matt boards within' a frame of your choosing.As for the glass, I think you are able to purchase the museum quality stuff separately, but if you choose to keep the standard glass that came with the frame, be sure to keep the piece hanging away from where direct sunlight comes through e.g. windows, doors etc. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Dekay; 06-02-2014 at 02:04 PM.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Hi,

Celtic Batman, you've got some really nice pages! Particularly like the Seaguy two-- and your arrangement of pages with 'pictures within pictures' -- do you look for those in particular?
    Thanks Matt, yes, the 'pictures within pictures' has certainly emerged as a theme in my collecting!
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Cool thanks for the advice. If I do go to a framing store to get archival quality framing done do you know a rough estimate? I have two that need 20x24 frames.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

e.g., I buy panel pages, because, to me, that's what 'comics art' is about: sequential storytelling. I usually buy pages featuring the lead character. I've stopped buying pencils-only pages largely 'cause they're hard for me to see from any distance away. I try to keep what I purchase at/around the $100 level, just 'cause it makes me nervous to have anything more valuable in my possession;and because frankly, that's already more than I 'should' be spending on damn near anything. I don't buy anything with people shooting stabbing 'mayheming'--this stuff's up on my walls where I look at it everyday, and I get enough of the other stuff in comics themselves, and--on the news.

best wishes!
    This is an interesting question! I too wonder what the thought process is for selecting pages etc etc. For me I'm not all too picky; I just buy pages from books that I like at prices I can afford that features characters that I love. I do take a liking though to pages with unconventional panelling or a nice free flowing sequential composition. Also I really love the horror genre so I tend to buy pages featuring monsters. The media type for me isn't majorly important ( I have a few pencil pieces ), but I must admit that inked pieces have much better contrast and is easier to view. As for subject matter, I don't really mind violence and such but for some reason can't bring myself to buy a piece with a scantily clad heroine. I guess all thats left is to leave my CAF gallery here ... http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=89097 . Also the pieces everyone's sharing are incredible! Amazing stuff all around!

Quote Originally Posted by Legion564 View Post
    Cool thanks for the advice. If I do go to a framing store to get archival quality framing done do you know a rough estimate? I have two that need 20x24 frames.
    It depends on a few things such as what frame you buy and the quality of the archival materials you choose to use. Also size of the piece can affect the pricing, but if I had to put an estimate I'd say close to $90 for a basic frame (colored metal) at the size of about 11x17 (this includes the museum glass and acid free matt board). This is specifically what I've experienced through chains like "Michaels". Sometimes they have discounts that can make the price drop a little bit lower.
    Last edited by Dekay; 06-02-2014 at 03:46 PM.

http://www.thepaperframer.com/ComicArt.php

I'm considering ordering from this guy. I know it's expensive but seems really professional plus he puts the art into 4 mil Mylar sleeves lol.

Incredible Member

This is a little old but still useful:

http://web.archive.org/web/200308082.../comicart/faq/

Amazing Member

best wishes!
    I don't have any set criteria, other than most of my art comes from comics I fondly remember reading as a child.
    I focus mostly on covers, but panel pages are pretty good when you can't get a cover. Like, I can afford a BWS Conan page or a Berni Wrightson Swamp Thing page, but not the $50,000 it would probably cost me to get a cover by either of those two great artists.
    I also have certain artists on my want list.
    I love Starlin and Miller, so I try to find nice examples by those two artists, but I want them drawing characters that they are famous for drawing.
    I have certain characters I collect, like Daredevil, Swamp Thing, Ghost Rider and Flash.
    For years, I focused on getting commissions from my favorite artists, but a couple bad experiences has put me off of getting any new commissions. I've got one I'm waiting on right now and another that is in the works, then I'm done.
    I tend not to buy new art, although I did buy a page from a New 52 Batgirl last weekend because it was such a striking image.
    My main focus is getting published covers and pages from comics I love.

Where do you guys buy art if it's not at a convention? And if you have something specific in mind how do you search for it?

Crazy-- thought I'd posted these before, but hey! things...change, don't they..?
    anyway, here're a few places I check damn near daily, for new postings of original art for sale:
    anthonyscomicbookart.com/newitems
    comicartfans.com
    heritage auctions, at: comics.ha.com/c/search-results (although the "search-results" part of it may be superfluous...?)
    and of course, good ol' ebay....

and these guys usually once every two weeks:
    splashpageart.com/newitems
    rojaysoriginalart.com
    albertmoy.com/artists

I've personally purchased from Anthony Snyder, James Meeley (Comic Art fans), Splash Page, and Heritage, and had great results. Did purchase one page from ebay, and that went well, too.

Good luck!