Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

The comicart-l list (i.e. a Yahoo Group) is still a good resource too.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Gabriele Pennacchioli recently won this AMAZING John Buscema Silver Surfer splash on ebay. Jaw on the floor.......

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...377&GSub=91975
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Holy crap how much was the final bid?
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Legion564 View Post
    Where do you guys buy art if it's not at a convention? And if you have something specific in mind how do you search for it?
    Some of the best comic art dealers are Mike Burkey (romitaman.com), Albert Moy (albertmoy.com), Anthony Snyder (anthonyscomicbookart.com), Will Gabri-El (comicartpage.com), Tom Fleming (www.fanfare-se.com), Spencer Beck (theartistschoice.com) and Mitch Itkowicz (graphiccollectibles.com).
    I started buying from Tom Fleming many years ago and continue to buy from him. Mike B., Albert, Anthony and Will all get great art and are very easy to deal with. Spencer deals directly as several artists' representative and he's a great guy. Mitch gets a lot of great comic and other types of art and he reps Frank Miller. Yes, THE Frank Miller.

Holy crap how much was the final bid?
    $8,850 after 49 bids!
    I guess if you had that much money 'spare' and you wanted an iconic Silver Surfer page......

Quote Originally Posted by Mixmaster View Post
    Some of the best comic art dealers are Mike Burkey (romitaman.com), Albert Moy (albertmoy.com), Anthony Snyder (anthonyscomicbookart.com), Will Gabri-El (comicartpage.com), Tom Fleming (www.fanfare-se.com), Spencer Beck (theartistschoice.com) and Mitch Itkowicz (graphiccollectibles.com).
    I started buying from Tom Fleming many years ago and continue to buy from him. Mike B., Albert, Anthony and Will all get great art and are very easy to deal with. Spencer deals directly as several artists' representative and he's a great guy. Mitch gets a lot of great comic and other types of art and he reps Frank Miller. Yes, THE Frank Miller.
    Mark Hay at splashpageart.com is an absolute gent and I can thoroughly recommend him, especially for more 'current' artists like Duncan Fegredo, Charlie Adlard, etc.

I think the best thing to do when searching is often to have a go at entering keywords into the search bar at the top of comicartfans.com
    That will bring up 4 sets of results that you can 'toggle' between: member's galleries; classified (member's galleries 'for sale'); dealers for sale; and towards the bottom of the screen some ebay items that match the keywords.

On the sidebar of comicartfans.com you've also got links to lots of dealers that are worth browsing.

It's worth doing a google search for "........<artists name>..... original art for sale" as not every artist, believe it or not, has a dealer for their original art. 2 examples off the top of my head: Tony Daniel only recently got represented by Albert Moy, until then he was selling his OA himself through his own ebay site. And Chris Sprouse sells his art himself through his own website/blog at http://sprousenet.wordpress.com/art-for-sale/

I'm only getting a couple of new pieces a year now, and they're just small commissions/sketches at UK conventions, and I have found talking with the artists themselves to arrange these to be great experiences.

Thanks for all the info guys. Another question are artist proof prints a thing? I can only seem to find one artist who does it regularly and thats Alex Sinclair. I like them since theyre also one ofs but come in color. Anyone have info on these kind of art?
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

Also for those of you who go to a lot of cons and have experience i have a question for you. I want to get a few pieces i have signed but theyre pretty big at 24x20 inches. Any safe way to carry these around the convention center without running into people? The one ive gone to was absolutley packed.

Amazing Member

Also for those of you who go to a lot of cons and have experience i have a question for you. I want to get a few pieces i have signed but theyre pretty big at 24x20 inches. Any safe way to carry these around the convention center without running into people? The one ive gone to was absolutley packed.
    That's an odd size for original art. Are you talking about prints?

Yeah but it's an artist proof so I value it more than a normal print. Just concerned about running into people accidentally while walking around. Lol do you think walking around with it framed is an ok idea?

Incredible Member

Go to an art supply store and get a portfolio or presentation binder of the appropriate size.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Go to an art supply store and get a portfolio or presentation binder of the appropriate size.
    Wow that seems so simple and good. Wonder why I couldn't think of that lol.

Amazing Member

Yeah but it's an artist proof so I value it more than a normal print. Just concerned about running into people accidentally while walking around. Lol do you think walking around with it framed is an ok idea?
    I'm not trying to be mean, so please don't take me wrong, but original art is unique, whereas prints are printed FROM the original art and are not unique. I just wanted to clear up any confusion that people posting or those reading the thread might have when I talk about original art.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Batman View Post
    $8,850 after 49 bids!
    I guess if you had that much money 'spare' and you wanted an iconic Silver Surfer page......
    I wasn't too surprised by the final price. Buscema Silver Surfer pages sell pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixmaster View Post
    I'm not trying to be mean, so please don't take me wrong, but original art is unique, whereas prints are printed FROM the original art and are not unique. I just wanted to clear up any confusion that people posting or those reading the thread might have when I talk about original art.
    Yeah don't worry there just wasn't a thread for prints. But the ones I buy are somewhat pricey and the guy only makes one of them so it's not like just a standard print you can buy anywhere.