Page 29 of 231 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    Ya know I'm always kinda wanted to see how Wood would have handled them. I'm sure he would have had a back up feature with them going out on date. Its also kinda surprising Roxxie got over her crush on Rogue. She was thirsty.

Say what you wanna about Wood and his run on X-Men...he wrote the NXM the best since KYOST.

I loved Jubilee and Julian's banter.
    Hell, if they can't get KYost, bring back Wood for an X-Kids book; his Ultimate X-Men run (until the awful Cataclysm event) was pretty damn good.

Unless, Wood still has to deal with that incident...

Quote Originally Posted by Fordel View Post
    That punch always annoyed me because it's not something Mercury would actually do. She accepted and included the boy who can kill with a touch and the girl who was bred to be a murder machine... but a love note in a locker sends her into a violent rage?
    A symptom of the Age of Bendis.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty weird, especially as Cess agreed to go out with her later. Bling must've wrote a really creepy note.

I basically feel like the writer just used Cess there because of her visuals with no regard to any of her past history. "I need a mutant who is as alien as Bling, ahh that one!".

Incredible Member

I thoroughly disagree that Kyle & Yost wrote them well; their tenure on New X-Men still being the one and only run of theirs I vehemently dislike (overall; of course, it had its moments), to put it nicely.
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Yeah, I thought that was pretty weird, especially as Cess agreed to go out with her later. Bling must've wrote a really creepy note.
    Yeah, IIRC Mercury said it was because Bling! was giving off a creepy stalker vibe.

Which is probably a sense of frustration and personal failure to her. The potential to look normal again is in there, somewhere, but she just can't figure out HOW yet.

Like imagine a book shes in, where she gets up every morning, goes to like wash her face/brush her teeth/brush her hair and just spends a moment trying to figure out how to make the rest of her look like her hair. On a good day she might laugh off the attempt, on a bad day she might walk away defeated to face her day, on a awful day she might just smash the mirror.
    Maybe if the X-Men actually bothered to, y'know, TEACH her to do it like they intended to instead of throwing her into their wars all the time, Cess might has turned out better. Of course, she's got to stay an outcast, so allowing her to look human again would ruin it.

Then again, Marvel seems to have it out for shapeshifters. Only the villainous ones get any real attention, but the heroic ones get nerfed, turned evil, killed, or simply thrown off to obscurity.
    Last edited by Myetche; 04-18-2016 at 04:06 PM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    I thoroughly disagree that Kyle & Yost wrote them well; their tenure on New X-Men still being the one and only run of theirs I vehemently dislike (overall; of course, it had its moments), to put it nicely.
    It begins....

That punch always annoyed me because it's not something Mercury would actually do. She accepted and included the boy who can kill with a touch and the girl who was bred to be a murder machine... but a love note in a locker sends her into a violent rage?
    Tru. Still a whopping punch tho

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Maybe if the X-Men actually bothered to, y'know, TEACH her to do it like they intended to instead of throwing her into their wars all the time, Cess might has turned out better. Of course, she's got to stay an outcast, so allowing her to look human again would ruin it.

Then again, Marvel seems to have it out for shapeshifters. Only the villainous ones get any real attention, but the heroic ones get nerfed, turned evil, killed, or simply thrown off to obscurity.
    you know there was a time where they did just that

I'd love them to address Cessily's powers by having her gain full control and THEN decide, hey, I've grown quite accustomed to this Mercury look so I'll keep it. You can still have the visual whilst actually giving the character some growth.

We are still allowed to imagine good stories for the NXM right? Editorial can't shut that down right?

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Maybe if the X-Men actually bothered to, y'know, TEACH her to do it like they intended to instead of throwing her into their wars all the time...
    In general, I wonder how much 'teaching' anyone can actually do for each others powers. I guess it would be up to the telepaths that can literally look around in a persons head to see how a power actually works.

Cess in particular is very alien and different and I even want to say her powers make her partially resistant to things like telepathy and even magic. Like are there any friendly shapeshifters with similar experiences around?

Random question for everyone, how do you pronounce Cessily's name? I've always said it as SES-sily, but now I'm wondering if it's KES-sily maybe? Like her parents are Irish (if I remember right) and sometimes Irish names do not sound anything like they are spelled. Ceilidh for example is pronounced kay-lee .

Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    Oh, this makes me sad. My love of the New X-men kids SPECIFICALLY comes from their run; only Gillen has managed to write one of the kids better (Prodigy). Everyone else, for me, Kyle&Yost are the gold standard. Childhood's End is one of my favourite arcs in all of comics.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    I'd love them to address Cessily's powers by having her gain full control and THEN decide, hey, I've grown quite accustomed to this Mercury look so I'll keep it. You can still have the visual whilst actually giving the character some growth.

We are still allowed to imagine good stories for the NXM right? Editorial can't shut that down right?

They can just make it so she can't use her powers while she is keeping her normal appearance if they wanted to do that. Heck it would let her have a secret identity if she wanted it. Shiny girl in the field, regular girl at home.

I firmly believe if she had the ability and/or choice to look/be normal again, she would 100% take it. Out of all the NXM kids, shes the one that just wants to be that normal dull girl. She accepts what she is currently and she makes the best of it and doesn't let it rule her life, but she desperately wants to be regular again. She wants to be a muggle. She goes out of her way to be as normal as she can be on a consistent basis.

I actually didn't like how Gillen wrote Prodigy. David was always a bit of an ass, but he came across as a manipulative,predatory asshole in the Young Avengers book.