Page 158 of 231 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 3451
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    Not saying he couldn't, just that he shouldn't. Because I like Hellion without hands. It's a cool visual and, as others have said, boosts disability representation. It also gives him some tangible history; if you see him in a book now, you wonder why he has robot hands, then you can find the back-issue where he loses his hands, gains new hands, develops his fine motor control etc. It's a treat for continuity addicts, really.
    Okay I guess but however there is a lot of in-universe fallacies with keeping him disabled that did not do any good. Heck some people wondered back then why didn't Oracle get back her use of her legs when so many cures are available and the explanation fell flat.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Okay I guess but however there is a lot of in-universe fallacies with keeping him disabled that did not do any good. Heck some people wondered back then why didn't Oracle get back her use of her legs when so many cures are available and the explanation fell flat.
    The difference with Oracle was that Babs completely and utterly conquered her situation right after TKJ, Julian's been left too stew for 8 years
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    The difference with Oracle was that Babs completely and utterly conquered her situation right after TKJ, Julian's been left too stew for 8 years
    You could say that but however her reason to this day will never make sense. But you are right about Julian's situation it was a gold mine for good stories that was left not mined for years already so they should just give him back his hands.

Spectacular Member RoamingGnome8's Avatar

Oracle didn't get back the use of her legs because it was well written representation and because many fans preferred her as Oracle over Batgirl. Oracle was an example of a problematic storyline (The Killing Joke) with heavy undertones of 'Women in the Refrigerator', that was retooled by writers afterwards to focus on the narrative of a disabled female character.

The problem with disability, is there is no world building in comics really for it. Comic books essentially erase disability through advanced technology and other means. This is problematic because it can at times come off as a little ablist or lacking in representation.

Quote Originally Posted by RoamingGnome8 View Post
    Oracle didn't get back the use of her legs because it was well written representation and because many fans preferred her as Oracle over Batgirl. Oracle was an example of a problematic storyline (The Killing Joke) with heavy undertones of 'Women in the Refrigerator', that was retooled by writers afterwards to focus on the narrative of a disabled female character.

The problem with disability, is there is no world building in comics really for it. Comic books essentially erase disability through advanced technology and other means. This is problematic because it can at times come off as a little ablist or lacking in representation.
    if you say so but the fact she didn't sometimes rubbed others who wanted some in story logic as to why she won't when it technically could be done. But yet isn't that what some folk come into comics for to escape the humdrum of everyday life including the problems even disabled kids read about characters who aren't disabled.

Per a group consensus a group of NXM will now be referred to as a "target"
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

You could say that but however her reason to this day will never make sense. But you are right about Julian's situation it was a gold mine for good stories that was left not mined for years already so they should just give him back his hands.
    Like giving him his hands back automatically means he’s going to have positive character development ? Yeah, I don’t think so.

Julian hasn’t been written like he still has a chip on his shoulder about his hands since the Carey book, in what few appearances he’s had.. I’m not sure why y’all think erasing his disability would solve anything. He kind of needs to have a prominent role in a book to move him forward as a character, and preferably not some jokey book like Spider-Man and th X-Men.

Speaking of Hellion. Before WCA was announced, Kelly Thompson was asked anonymously who she would put on a WCA book. And, surprisingly, she picked an alright group:

https://1979semifinalist.tumblr.com/...vengers-roster

Advisors Hawkeye (Clint) and Valkyrie.
    Full team: Hawkeye (Kate), America, Armor, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine (Laura), Spider-Man (Miles), Hellion, and Victor Mancha maybe?

and when she was asked which X-Kid she would've added besides Quentin:

https://1979semifinalist.tumblr.com/...k-your-scripts

hmmmmmmmmm I smell......*sniff sniff*......"editorial-mandated Quentin", alternatively "editorial-mandated no New X-Men"

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Like giving him his hands back automatically means he’s going to have positive character development ? Yeah, I don’t think so.

Julian hasn’t been written like he still has a chip on his shoulder about his hands since the Carey book, in what few appearances he’s had.. I’m not sure why y’all think erasing his disability would solve anything. He kind of needs to have a prominent role in a book to move him forward as a character, and preferably not some jokey book like Spider-Man and th X-Men.
    Yhea, I'm not getting that either. Just because his status as a disabled character hasn't fully been touched on doesn't mean we strip him of that altogether. And Elixir fixing Julian's hands won't bring about the new Age of Hellion. He'll still be anohter face in the background, only less visually distinctive so much so that I'll most likely end up getting him confused with all the other black-haired students. The actual problem is that too many writers are interested in putting narrative focus on "meh" mutants like Quentin Quire or Eye-Boy (rip) or Ink. Hopefully, that may change post-Mothervine, post-Extermination, and post-X-Men Gold.

Spectacular Member RoamingGnome8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Speaking of Hellion. Before WCA was announced, Kelly Thompson was asked anonymously who she would put on a WCA book. And, surprisingly, she picked an alright group:

https://1979semifinalist.tumblr.com/...vengers-roster

Advisors Hawkeye (Clint) and Valkyrie.
    Full team: Hawkeye (Kate), America, Armor, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine (Laura), Spider-Man (Miles), Hellion, and Victor Mancha maybe?

and when she was asked which X-Kid she would've added besides Quentin:

https://1979semifinalist.tumblr.com/...k-your-scripts

hmmmmmmmmm I smell......*sniff sniff*......"editorial-mandated Quentin", alternatively "editorial-mandated no New X-Men"

Yhea, I'm not getting that either. Just because his status as a disabled character hasn't fully been touched on doesn't mean we strip him of that altogether. And Elixir fixing Julian's hands won't bring about the new Age of Hellion. He'll still be anohter face in the background, only less visually distinctive so much so that I'll most likely end up getting him confused with all the other black-haired students. The actual problem is that too many writers are interested in putting narrative focus on "meh" mutants like Quentin Quire or Eye-Boy (rip) or Ink. Hopefully, that may change post-Mothervine, post-Extermination, and post-X-Men Gold.

That's SO disappointing because I would have absolutely bought WCA with that lineup...

I don't know if there is actually a ban despite that rumor going around for years, just because Marvel doesn't seem to have any interest in using any 90's/2000's teen groups. Both Young Avengers and Avengers Academy are in the same situation New X-Men are. Most creators seem to either want to create new characters or only use the nostalgia characters from their childhood ; but there also seems to be some pushback from Marvel whenever writers or artists want to use them, so it could very well be true.

My only hope for the New X-Men is one of them making it to the movies or TV shows. Hopefully one character will make an appearance in the Gambit film, X-Force, Multiple Man, or X-23.
    Hopefully since Craig Kyle is co-writing the script some of them will appear.
    Also if Multiple Man is somewhat adapting X-Factor Investigations, FOX might need to replace Rictor and Wolfsbane, because they're appearing in other films...
    Last edited by RoamingGnome8; 06-04-2018 at 07:34 PM.

When is surge going to show up again?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post

Yes you do have a point but considering how well it worked out for Julian when Yost and Kyle were prevented from carrying out their own plan for him whatever it was I would say that unless Marvel offers them a really a good deal and reason to come back. Julain is not going to get his due i don't think even what Thompson mentioned could top Yost and Kyle's plans for him.

BANNED

CBR: There’s only one way to kick off X-Position’s return, and it’s with the most-asked question in the history of the column. The Dying Detective asks, “Will there ever be a New X-Men: Academy X revival?”

Jordan D. White: I cannot answer that, as “ever” is a long, long time. I know that book certainly has loyal fans, I would imagine it is only a matter of time until someone who loves that book as much as you do is writing the X-Men and makes it happen.
    Not exactly the most hopeful of answers. :-(

I'm still trying to figure out why JDW would say on Twitter the NXM won't sell a book considering even CBR notes how often they're asked for.

did anyone read CBR's WCA Thompson interview? Her Quentin answer really made it sound like he was forced upon her (perhaps over Hellion, citing popularity or something)

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Not exactly the most hopeful of answers. :-(

I'm still trying to figure out why JDW would say on Twitter the NXM won't sell a book considering even CBR notes how often they're asked for.
    My guess is that in whatever data metrics they look at CBR isn't high on the list

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    My guess is that in whatever data metrics they look at CBR isn't high on the list
    That's just it: Even Panic acknowledged he got more questions about seeing the NXM again than almost any other group of characters while he was running the X-Books. So there's clearly a LOT of demand for them.