Page 184 of 231 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 3451

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Thanks, in the long run I'd like them to become best friends since I think it's a shame that neither of them has a well-developed strong female friendship, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy a bit of hostility along the way. Plus it'd be nice to have two Japanese girls on the same team, there are certain types of fans who think they'd be redundant in the same book because they're both Asian,
    YES!!! I hate that nonsense. Nobody says that **** about white people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    An-Oh-Lee

Same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    Its actually a really interesting idea, to focus on their contrast, and I would love to see it explored.
    I'd definitely like it stressed that while Noriko's father is ashamed of her and won't accept her as his daughter, Hisako's father is proud of her for who she is and what she does.
    Considering that Japanese culture tends to place considerable importance on family ties, this is worth exploring.

I would also point out the one key difference between the two of them - Control.
    Hisako controls her power, and seems to have been able to do it since day, and as a result her life's choices have been her own.
    She's originally in the institute because she WANTS to be an X-men - not because she has to be.
    Noriko meanwhile can't control her power, and it has DESTROYED her life - she lost her home, was forced to live on the streets, got dependent on drugs, and even now is dependent on her gloves.
    She's in the position she's in because she was forced into it - even if she'd not give it up at this stage.

It's a damn shame no attention was given to them.
    The point about the importance of family ties in Japanese culture is a big one, it's part of why I would want a Surge/Armor team up to take place in Japan. I want to see what their home country and their culture means to them both.
    Hisako literally gets power from her family, honoring them and holding onto their memory makes her stronger. Meanwhile Noriko was rejected by her family, they didn't honor her.
    Hisako's family is what gives her strength, while Noriko's family used cultural traditions as an excuse to disown her.

That's a good point about their powers and control. I don't think Surge's reliance on her gauntlets is that bad, not enough to be compared to the drugs she took, but how their powers have they've affected their ability to make their own choices is interesting.
    It's also interesting how you brought up how Armor wanted to be an X-man, I remember after the battle royale in New X-men when she was a bit snarky that Emma chose four Hellions for the new team.

Another point is that Armor's powers are limitless, she can keep her armor up indefinitely and use it whenever she wants. While Surge can run out of electricity the more she uses her powers and she can't absorb too much at once or she'll overload, her powers can be unreliable.

Hopefully whatever Kelly Thompson has planned for Armor is good, and that they don't put down Surge too much.
    Last edited by Beetle; 09-07-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    YES!!! I hate that nonsense. Nobody says that **** about white people.

Same thing.
    No its not. The pronunciation of the first syllable was different in what you posted

Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

The point about the importance of family ties in Japanese culture is a big one, it's part of why I would want a Surge/Armor team up to take place in Japan. I want to see what their home country and their culture means to them both.
    Hisako literally gets power from her family, honoring them and holding onto their memory makes her stronger. Meanwhile Noriko was rejected by her family, they didn't honor her.
    Hisako's family is what gives her strength, while Noriko's family used cultural traditions as an excuse to disown her.

That's a good point about their powers and control. I don't think Surge's reliance on her gauntlets is that bad, not enough to be compared to the drugs she took, but how their powers have they've affected their ability to make their own choices is interesting.
    It's also interesting how you brought up how Armor wanted to be an X-man, I remember after the battle royale in New X-men when she was a bit snarky that Emma chose four Hellions for the new team.

Another point is that Armor's powers are limitless, she can keep her armor up indefinitely and use it whenever she wants. While Surge can run out of electricity the more she uses her powers and she can't absorb too much at once or she'll overload, her powers can be unreliable.

Hopefully whatever Kelly Thompson has planned for Armor is good, and that they don't put down Surge too much.
    Its less of how much effect the gloves themselves have, and more about the symbolism of them - much like Cyclops, Surge is constantly wearing things that are the ever present reminder of her lack of ability to control her life.

Ultimately, Hisako is where she is because she chose it - And she can quit and go home the second she chooses to.
    More then that - she can easily "pass" for a normal human if she just doesn't use her powers.

Nori never chose to be where she ended up (right down to the leadership role being forced on her) but she has nowhere else to go.
    And the gloves mean she's always going to be recognized as being a mutant - even if its not a physical mutation.

And the fact that BOTH ended up choosing to be heroes despite how different their circumstances is one of the best things to explore.
    Hisako has everything Nori lacks (Control of her powers, Support form her family, Wolverine as a Mentor, Etc) and they still end up in the same place.
    Is Hisako a hero because the benefits that she enjoys in her life ?
    Is Nori a hero despite how much crap she had to endure ?

Its a fun thing to explore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    When did Anole get a tail? Also how do we Anole?
    I love how Bobby lumped him in the with the likes of Spit Girl, dismissing him as being one of the kids in the "Button Mashing Phase" of using their powers.

Oh look, it's Friday, time to dump on the New X-Men. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No its not. The pronunciation of the first syllable was different in what you posted
    Forgive me for not knowing exactly how to spell out what the lovely video you posted (and I) was trying to convey. Your grace continues to marvel

I'd love a story about Armor and Surge running into each other in Japan. It'd be one of those awkward situations where you see a coworker or classmate out in the real world so you feel obligated to at least say "hello".
    And then they get attacked by a villain, aren't able to call the X-men for backup so they're forced to team up, and then develop some grudging mutual respect for each other.
    In my big "New X-Men in Japan" story that i'm continuously rewriting in my head. One of the big 4 stories would star Surge trying to reconnect with her family and Armor tagging along. We find out that her dad has ties to the Yakuza and in turn has ties to an offshoot of the Facility who are trying to make new Predator X's. Some which are Kaiju-size! Their story would tie into the other 3 NXM stories: one about Rocklside and Anole finding fame and fortune in Japan, one about X-23 reconnecting with them and another about Hellion "turning the page".
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    Its less of how much effect the gloves themselves have, and more about the symbolism of them - much like Cyclops, Surge is constantly wearing things that are the ever present reminder of her lack of ability to control her life.

Ultimately, Hisako is where she is because she chose it - And she can quit and go home the second she chooses to.
    More then that - she can easily "pass" for a normal human if she just doesn't use her powers.

Nori never chose to be where she ended up (right down to the leadership role being forced on her) but she has nowhere else to go.
    And the gloves mean she's always going to be recognized as being a mutant - even if its not a physical mutation.

And the fact that BOTH ended up choosing to be heroes despite how different their circumstances is one of the best things to explore.
    Hisako has everything Nori lacks (Control of her powers, Support form her family, Wolverine as a Mentor, Etc) and they still end up in the same place.
    Is Hisako a hero because the benefits that she enjoys in her life ?
    Is Nori a hero despite how much crap she had to endure ?

Its a fun thing to explore.
    Yeah, the fact that Nori had no free will in the major directions that changed her life is something that definitely needs more in-depth convo. Even though the decisions that affect Noriko are wildly different, they all have two unifying "themes." 1) That it always comes down to the fact that Nori has no other place to turn. When she was homeless and on drugs, she had nothing else to do but run to the Xavier Institute. Even though she didn't "run" anywhere, she was essentially backed into a corner and forced to be a leader when Emma picked her over Julian. When Scott did the biggest dick-move and fake-disbanded the X-Men, once again, Nori had nowhere else to turn so she ran to Dani. After months of a seemingly sedentary lifestyle, she was kidnapped by the Leper Queen and the X-Men became her home again, all the way through Schism and AvX. She couldn't even keep that resolve as Cyclops and Utopia fell apart and she found herself trudging back to the ol' JGS with the remainder of the Utopian Refugees.

Man......it would've been so cool to have Surge lead over the group of Utopia kids after Avengers Academy. It was a perfect severing off point for them from the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    In my big "New X-Men in Japan" story that i'm continuously rewriting in my head. One of the big 4 stories would star Surge trying to reconnect with her family and Armor tagging along. We find out that her dad has ties to the Yakuza and in turn has ties to an offshoot of the Facility who are trying to make new Predator X's. Some which are Kaiju-size! Their story would tie into the other 3 NXM stories: one about Rocklside and Anole finding fame and fortune in Japan, one about X-23 reconnecting with them and another about Hellion "turning the page".
    I'm not sure how I feel about making every single character from Japan related to the yakuza or the Hand. I mean the Yashida family is related to both through Silver Samurai.
    Noriko's dad is an *******, but making him a gangster seems like a bad idea.

I'm not crazy about having all of the New X-Men in Japan on four separate adventures at the same time. It seems like having that many stories, they would fall into weeaboo anime tropes really easily.

Having the New X-men in various simultaneous stories is a cool idea though. I think you could have a fun "What I did over my Summer Vacation" type story with that.
    • Hellion, Anole and Rockslide starring in a Bromo Superior redux, they travel to California for some fun in the sun and run into Kingmaker and a team of his enforcers.
    • Pixie, Mercury and Dust visiting the UK where they run into the Mastermind sisters, their illusions on Megan accidentally release her Nightmare persona who teams up with her sisters for some mischief, forcing Mercury and Dust to fight all 3 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Man......it would've been so cool to have Surge lead over the group of Utopia kids after Avengers Academy. It was a perfect severing off point for them from the X-Men.
    I really wish they'd had a book focusing on Prodigy and Surge leading the kids who chose to stay on Utopia right after Schism as a counterpoint to WATXM, I know there was Generation Hope but it wasn't the same. It probably wouldn't have sold well since most of the cool kids went to Westchester, but I feel like it was missed opportunity not to focus on them a bit more.

I'm not sure how I feel about making every single character from Japan related to the yakuza or the Hand. I mean the Yashida family is related to both through Silver Samurai.
    Noriko's dad is an *******, but making him a gangster seems like a bad idea.
    its one of those things that's contstantly getting rewritten in my head....because not everyone from japan should be a yakuza or a ninja from the hand

I'm not crazy about having all of the New X-Men in Japan on four separate adventures at the same time. It seems like having that many stories, they would fall into weeaboo anime tropes really easily.
    But that's the whole point of the story is take the NXM on what looks like anime/manga/weeaboo tropes and then invert/subvert/parody them. (My headcanons aside that Rockslide, Anole and hellion are in fact giant weebs)

We've gotten to the point where the NXM
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

BANNED

If you've seen Big G's Tumblr page you'd understand. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    its one of those things that's contstantly getting rewritten in my head....because not everyone from japan should be a yakuza or a ninja from the hand

But that's the whole point of the story is take the NXM on what looks like anime/manga/weeaboo tropes and then invert/subvert/parody them. (My headcanons aside that Rockslide, Anole and hellion are in fact giant weebs)

We've gotten to the point where the NXM
    I'm not sure if subversive weeaboo tropes is something we should hope for in this Akira Yoshida era, I'd expect unironic embracing of them

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    If you've seen Big G's Tumblr page you'd understand. ;-)
    Geez call me out why don't you....

I'm not sure if subversive weeaboo tropes is something we should hope for in this Akira Yoshida era, I'd expect unironic embracing of them
    that's why its the greatest NXM story that will be never written lol

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    Back when Roleplaying was done on forums, I ran an X-Men based one. We ended up having some of the New X-Men gang and other Younger X-Folk end up in California building their own version of X-Factor. It co-led by Nori and Jubilee who were best friends; other members included Elixir, Icarus and I think we had Prodigy there even though nobody played him outright.

That being said, Factor, I have always had similar thoughts on the New X-men kids. The way they've been treated, and how defiant they have been to authority, I always thought they would branch off on their own. Some of the kids ideals line up more with Xavier/X-Men philosophy, but most don't.

I think Schism was a good idea, but not exactly executed so well. If we could go back in time, I think Schism without the introduction of so many all the new kids and just used the Academy X kids. They already had personalities that could have been built upon further.

Who do you think would have sided with Logan or Scott?
    Exactly. I really don't see characters like Surge, Prodigy, Hellion or Dust remaining with the X-men long, especially Surge and Hellion.
    In a way, it's a great contrast with Armor, Pixie, Anole and Rockslide, who have always been all about becoming true X-men. They're the ones who I could see remaining with the X-men and maintaining the classic legacy of the school setting and such. It's why I think Armor should lead the next school-based team. Armor's team (X-men: Legacy), should be full-fledged X-men, but would stay closer to the mansion, protecting it and recruiting new students, while Jean and Storm's team (Uncanny X-men) would handle large scale threats. (in a Schism scenario, Armor and co would be team Wolverine).

As for the rest, they should have an X-force to their NM. A new direction away from the regular X-men mandate.
    I see Moonstar as a new "Cable" = the leader of a new faction of young mutants with different ideals and ways to achieve them.
    New Mutants would be basically a new version of the X-Corporation concept: an international NGO created to take care of complex social issues surrounding the mutant cause, things that couldn't be fixed by simply enrolling every mutant in a super-hero school.
    It should have shades of X-treme X-men and have a large rotating cast. There should be a main team (Dani, Sunspot, Surge, Prodigy and Dust), but there would be several international HQs maintained by X-characters like Karma, Magma, Indra etc.
    The X-books needs to focus on world-building again and a series like this would be awesome for that (they could even call it X-men World for sales).

Both my Legacy and New Mutants idea would take place in a scenario where most of the New X-men had already graduated (this time for real).
    Kitty would still be the headmistress, but would no longer be leading a field team. That role would go to Armor and Kitty would be Hisako's Professor X.
    The school would have way fewer students because of all the graduations. I'd select no more than 15 characters to remain there as students (no more random wallpapers), and the ones who didn't get a place in a team would be allowed to move on.
    I see some like Mercury and Transonic opting to go to college. Others like Loa and Indra would return to their homes, but would become part of Dani's larger team, appearing from time to time.
    This way, everyone would at least get some closure or direction, instead of becoming wallpaper for eternity.
    Meanwhile, Kitty would be facing competition, as Emma Frost would open her own mutant college, and many Xavier Institute graduates would move on to Emma's side. Hellion would have a subplot in Legacy about that.

I've given all this way more thought than I should LOL. I plan on making micro-heroes of the teams and I'll post them here whenever I finish

Honestly I feel like there should still be some leftover resentment between the New X-Men and the New Mutants, Dani and Karma are cool, but Cannonball and Sunspot were willing to physically fight the kids to defend Magik when she came to San Francisco at the beginning of New Mutants vol. 3. And then Cannonball guilted Anole and Pixie into rescuing Magik from Limbo during the Second Coming Hellbound mini, and they both acknowledged that it felt like the X-men would let every single NXM die just to save Magik.

There's an interesting dichotomy there. When Sunspot joined the Avengers and ran AIM, he was pretty supportive of younger and newer heroes (Hulkling, Wiccan, White Tiger, Power Man, Squirrel Girl, Pod, Toni Ho, Max Brashear), but based on his reliance on Cannonball, Warlock and the other New Mutants as backup I wonder if his loyalty will always be towards his original team before anyone else.
    I agree about some of the resentment, but the way I see it, the NXM should still be pretty close to Dani, and she'd be the one leading the new initiative. I could see their relationship with Sunspot being a lot more tumultuous, but that would also add some nice drama

BANNED

Putting JDW on the spot.

I LOVE how all of the follow-on responses are basically professionals telling him he's completely wrong in his assessment of how the real world works.