Page 205 of 231 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205206207208209215 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,075 of 3451

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    The up and down of it all is a little dizzying.
    We're all clamoring for Pixie (as an example) but then someone finally endeavors to use her and we're criticizing how, her status, her competency, her injury, etc etc. Yeesh.
    I think we have a tendency to bite the hand that feeds us. Same thing happened when Hellion and X-23 showed up on the same team in PR. A lot of us were clamoring "why aren't they talking? dont they hate one another? Are they back together?" ect ect but if we took the movement to pause and realize. In the case of Julian and Laura, most of us should of realized that a book about the Phoenix coming back probably wasn't going to be the vehicle for their reconciliation. also we gave the poor artist a helluva of a time for the gloves, but we've had that debate before so need to bring it up again.

anywho while we have every rite to critique and be skeptical, because the fact is that a lot of recent writers have treated the NXM as jokes and thrown them under the bus when they shouldn't have, we still have to appreciate when they get involved in the stories. Because if we don't they'll just go back to being wall paper or event fodder. And next time it will be more than just them getting knocked around but six foot under.

Also as much as i criticize the redundancy of Glob and Rockslide on the same team, I can't fault a writer for wanting to write their favorite, because Godzilla's knows I'd do the same if i was in their position.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    They really need to give Armor her own uniform so these kind of mistakes aren't made all the time.
    Right now, her primary unique physical characteristic is her "Hime Cut", which can often be confused for just long hair.
    And its not that much of a "hime cut" to begin with. It's pretty much just bangs.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

It's not that I think Pixie is above receiving any additional training, or that I'm not grateful that she's finally appearing at all.

I just wish that this appearance acknowledged the development and experience she's gained over the last 10 years. After years of wallpaper status for the rest of the kids, just appearing isn't good enough anymore.

Like those preview pages of her just flying and running away from Dragoness. Kinda pathetic.
    Megan has powers other than teleportation and flight. Stab her with the soul dagger, throw some Pixie dust in her face, do something. If the writers want to impress me, have her use the Mists of the Morpheus, it's literally the only other spell she knows and it blows shit up when she isn't careful.

I know we haven't seen the whole fight yet, but so far it's a poor showing of what she's capable of and how she's proven herself. She's been on dozens of missions, she's saved the team single handedly, she's travelled to Limbo half a dozen times to rescue Magik because Colossus threatens her every time Snowflake misses her curfew.

Also that AoA Gargoyle look is ugly so I don't have much faith in how they're using her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Something I just thought about while discussing Uncanny and the New X-Men situation on Twitter.

If Laura and the New X-Men ever do reunite, their REALLY ought to be some resentment from the others because she got privileged treatment that they didn't in the aftermath of Second Coming. She was basically allowed by Logan to go off and do her own thing, while they were forced to return to the student body when the Schism began. Up until that point, while Laura certainly had superior combat skills because of her training by the Facility, Schism was the point where their experiences actually began to diverge: Laura went on to have her Walkabout after Second Coming, attend Avengers Academy, (by her choice) get dragged into Murderworld, and have her adventures with the O5 and her solo activities as Wolverine. The rest were relegated back to trainee status because Wolverine arbitrarily decided that kids shouldn't fight.

There's very much an in-universe double standard that needs to be addressed.
    I'm catching up with the thread so I'm a bit late but I'd be disappointed if Laura's friends were upset at her "success" in-universe. I mean, she's had some tough times that they haven't tied to her stories post-Schism, so it's not like she hasn't suffered? Also, I would absolutely treat a student with a healing factor and ridiculous amounts of survival & combat training differently from the other New X-Men and I think that they would recognise this.

I'd be wary about trying to make everything work too neatly in-universe when the major factor for a character is sales.

Something I just thought about while discussing Uncanny and the New X-Men situation on Twitter.

If Laura and the New X-Men ever do reunite, their REALLY ought to be some resentment from the others because she got privileged treatment that they didn't in the aftermath of Second Coming. She was basically allowed by Logan to go off and do her own thing, while they were forced to return to the student body when the Schism began. Up until that point, while Laura certainly had superior combat skills because of her training by the Facility, Schism was the point where their experiences actually began to diverge: Laura went on to have her Walkabout after Second Coming, attend Avengers Academy, (by her choice) get dragged into Murderworld, and have her adventures with the O5 and her solo activities as Wolverine. The rest were relegated back to trainee status because Wolverine arbitrarily decided that kids shouldn't fight.

There's very much an in-universe double standard that needs to be addressed.
    I'm pretty rusty on the facts from this era (haven't read much between the end of the first X-23 solo and All-New Wolverine) but:

- Wouldn't her getting cut from X-Force was a secondary team that she essentially got a honorable discharge from and wasn't her leaving the X-Men for the walkabout her own decision (and like a leave of absence)?

- The Avengers Academy wasn't affiliated with the X-Men and Laura did chose it as an alternative to picking sides within the X-Men. I assume that the other kids technically could've done something similar?

- Were the time-traveling O5 officially affiliated with the X-Men or an independent faction?

- I thought her Wolverine gig was something she essentially took on herself without any "permission" from the X-Men.

Maybe I'm being devil's advocate, but there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Yeah I thought she was Laura and it confused me why she was in a training suit
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    I think we have a tendency to bite the hand that feeds us. Same thing happened when Hellion and X-23 showed up on the same team in PR. A lot of us were clamoring "why aren't they talking? dont they hate one another? Are they back together?" ect ect but if we took the movement to pause and realize. In the case of Julian and Laura, most of us should of realized that a book about the Phoenix coming back probably wasn't going to be the vehicle for their reconciliation. also we gave the poor artist a helluva of a time for the gloves, but we've had that debate before so need to bring it up again.
    Seconded.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The Avengers Academy wasn't affiliated with the X-Men and Laura did chose it as an alternative to picking sides within the X-Men. I assume that the other kids technically could've done something similar?
    The Avengers Academy ended up siding with Wolverine's school during AVX. They imprisoned the students who sided with Cyclops and Utopia, to prevent them from convincing any of the other students to participate in the war. Even used their pet sentinel's mutant tracking radar to make sure no one left the grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    Yeah, I remember that much. I couldn't quite remember where David was at the conclusion of the mini and I didn't have the time to reread. Hmm. I'm surprised he didn't get infected too. Maybe there are other plans in place for him that require him to not be burdened by the T-O virus.

An ideal outcome would be actual dialogue (even better if it's with Laura). Rosenberg, Thompson and Brisson seem to have a little more interest and respect for the beloved New X-Men than some other writers, so I hope they get some Uncanny moments. I vaguely recall Thompson mentioning Dust but idk if I'm misrembering. I'd have to search through her Twitter + Tumblr and I don't have the time for that
    He disappeared from the narrative. Kind of how his whole role was in that book. I'd rather have him in Uncanny than him in a sequel mini, spending 5-6 issues doing little to nothing. I loke that we have three writers that genuinely do love these characters, I just wish there was more respect for what DeFelippis, Weir, Kyle, and Yost did for those characters. Prodigy sitting behind a computer screen and not being able to defend himself is entirely unthreading the character arcs where he subverted the 'man in the chair' trope. I'm kind of scared for how they might write Surge, if they make her character nothing but "mean girl #55 :P".

Even though he's a crappy human being for sexual assault, the way Brian Wood utilized the students in UXM Vol 4 is great. That's how you could handle them in Disassembled.
    Last edited by Tycon; 11-10-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Just needed to jump on this thread and say, I recently re-read the Kyle/Yost run on New X-Men and it really holds up. I remember loving it the first time I read it, and thinking what a great new team to focus on. Unfortunately, that potential and investment was squandered over time. The Wolverine & the X-Men run used some of that team pretty well. X-23 is a star now. Rockslide seems to be a go-to character still today, but I miss the connections and relationships this team had...as a team.

Rockslide, Anole, Dust, Mercury, Hellion, Elixer, Prodigy, Surge, X-23, Gentle and Pixie.NewX-Men44cover.jpg

I like seeing the characters in other books, even as secondary characters. I get excited when they show up. But I do hate it when they are relegated to extras. I didn't feel the same way about the recent Generation X team. Eyeboy's been fun. But the rest have not resonated with me much, if at all. The exception would be Quentin Quire. He has such great potential, but I'm not sure why he can't get any real traction.

I don't know why this New X-Men team fizzled, but I wish they'd bring it back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stwaz View Post
    This simple answer is because they're not the Claremont/Byrne/Lee team. Paniccia outright said as much during his tenure as EIC, and Moar 80s/90s Nostalgiaz is still the single biggest driving factor at Marvel.

This simple answer is because they're not the Claremont/Byrne/Lee team. Paniccia outright said as much during his tenure as EIC, and Moar 80s/90s Nostalgiaz is still the single biggest driving factor at Marvel.
    Additionally: Guggenheim decided he could do better than to keep the momentum that the other creative team had going and squandered the chance the NXM had for sustained growth in favor of introducing wonderful new additions like Ink to the mythos.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stwaz View Post
    Just needed to jump on this thread and say, I recently re-read the Kyle/Yost run on New X-Men and it really holds up. I remember loving it the first time I read it, and thinking what a great new team to focus on. Unfortunately, that potential and investment was squandered over time. The Wolverine & the X-Men run used some of that team pretty well. X-23 is a star now. Rockslide seems to be a go-to character still today, but I miss the connections and relationships this team had...as a team.

Rockslide, Anole, Dust, Mercury, Hellion, Elixer, Prodigy, Surge, X-23, Gentle and Pixie.NewX-Men44cover.jpg

I like seeing the characters in other books, even as secondary characters. I get excited when they show up. But I do hate it when they are relegated to extras. I didn't feel the same way about the recent Generation X team. Eyeboy's been fun. But the rest have not resonated with me much, if at all. The exception would be Quentin Quire. He has such great potential, but I'm not sure why he can't get any real traction.

I've also been reading the whole run again these past few days and have fallen in love with all the characters all over again. We've had so many weak and poorly-executed books coming from the X-office I can't believe the New X-Men characters haven't had another crack at their own series yet. It also doesn't help that each writer was allowed to come up with their own new group of students, making everyone feel interchangeable and not worth caring about.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    The Avengers Academy ended up siding with Wolverine's school during AVX. They imprisoned the students who sided with Cyclops and Utopia, to prevent them from convincing any of the other students to participate in the war. Even used their pet sentinel's mutant tracking radar to make sure no one left the grounds.
    Thought the school was locked down entirely and so missed out on it? Course that's only hearsay; I never read that event myself.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Well, sort of. Sales numbers are the biggest driving factor at Marvel and the Claremont/Byrne/Lee characters are way more popular and sell better. Simple.

BANNED

KT on Laura's changed dialogue in Uncanny:

Sure. I think people were right to call it out not because I think it’s SO wrong/egregious but just because it could have been better. And now it is.

Unfortunately for folks that hated that original line, there’s another line they’re going to hate. It’s a joke Laura makes and she uses quotes…but I sense the same people (including you? Idk) will be annoyed by that as well. I don’t know… you can’t possibly please everyone. I give up!
    I'll be in my bunker.

Yer bunker have wifi?