Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast

I keep forgetting i'm not on Facebook so i will just pretend to like every post on the last page.

The thing that annoys me most about super hero comics is the idea of a status quo. I have been re-reading X-Men from the beginning, and the thing that keeps jumping out at me in the earlier stories is the in story recognition of time passing, specifically in regard to how much a character has grown or things have changed since that time. That sort of thing NEVER happens anymore, because the books are now being structured to remain in stasis forever rather than grow and develop.

If I could change anything, it would be that.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

All-New Member

The never ending stream of universe-changing events.

And all the miraculous return from the deaths

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jlls View Post
    The never ending stream of universe-changing events.

And all the miraculous return from the deaths
    These are 2 of my major pet peeves. To bring up Colossus again, its not just that he was given a great, meaningful death and his resurrection both detracts from the weight of that in the service of the character being tormented with genocide prophecies and damnation as the result of an unhinged sister.

Its that there were already newer, lesser used characters like Mercury or Rockslide that could fill the void the character left and the resurrection feels both overly regressive on the whole while mainly focusing on the tragic aspects of the character, that while easy to write and make appealing, is the opposite of the characters appeal/ primary characteristics. When his death was being kept in place, Emma Frost gained an armor ability not unlike his because the writer wanted to use Colossus and the Juggernaut was used by the writer of Uncanny who will not be named as a stand in.

Their are certainly times I don't mind resurrections, I'm currently reading the explanation for Psylockes and enjoying it, but it works better as an odd occurance coupled with definitive deaths. Its why I found Avengers Arena enjoyable, deaths guaranteed to last while propelling lesser used characters. Alex Wilder I'll reserve judgment on until Undercover ends

Incredible Member

Another thing that takes me out of the story is when characters that are the rulers of countries are members of superhero teams, whether its Aquaman on the Justice League or Black Panther and Namor in Avengers. The current New Avengers I can accept it with given the scope of the threat present and that one of the characters is deposed.

Characters forgiving betrayal rather easily is something I find hard to accept, between Batman, Gambit & Blackwidow, it seems like there was a quick fix in the interest of the status quo. That said, damning actions from characters that are typically heroes, extreme actions no one should be forgiven for, are about as detrimental if planned poorly. As is continually mining drama from one story instead of building different stories, one off the other, for natural positive and negative character development. The positive is too frequently forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Yelling at Kingpin is nothing.
    JAMESON: GUTS OR BALLS?
    A Bugle Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    There's also Spider Slayers. Turning killer robots loose on the city can't be legal. And he created the Human Fly. That was partly accidental, but the fact that he was still working on super powered beings to fight Spider-Man showed he'd learned nothing for the Scorpion incident.
    This is one of those things that squats in a character's backstory and should probably be forgotten - except, well, we can't easily cover up where the Scorpion comes from since they keep coming back.

But apparently creating killer robots and supervillains isn't illegal in MCU New York cos Jameson never does time for it! (Also there was Mysterio II) Maybe the laws are lax so they won't have to arrest half the superheroes for things like Ultron.

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    Its that there were already newer, lesser used characters like Mercury or Rockslide that could fill the void the character left
    This is a thing I dislike: every so often a new character with potential will show up and many of them are allowed to languish in the void, maybe brought back for an easy kill, or if they're lucky because a fan-turned-pro was around at the start of them. They are rarely given a proper chance to get to the big boy's table. Luke Cage is finally in the A-list (or near enough) because Bendis spent how many years with him in comics, getting his face seen, being a regular Avenger? A lot of potential gets wasted.

[QUOTE=Charles RB;324019]This is one of those things that squats in a character's backstory and should probably be forgotten - except, well, we can't easily cover up where the Scorpion comes from since they keep coming back.

But apparently creating killer robots and supervillains isn't illegal in MCU New York cos Jameson never does time for it! (Also there was Mysterio II) Maybe the laws are lax so they won't have to arrest half the superheroes for things like Ultron.
    Is it common knowledge that he has done these things?

This is a thing I dislike: every so often a new character with potential will show up and many of them are allowed to languish in the void, maybe brought back for an easy kill, or if they're lucky because a fan-turned-pro was around at the start of them. They are rarely given a proper chance to get to the big boy's table. Luke Cage is finally in the A-list (or near enough) because Bendis spent how many years with him in comics, getting his face seen, being a regular Avenger? A lot of potential gets wasted.
    And unfortunately now Cage is now generic black superhero.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    The thing that annoys me most about super hero comics is the idea of a status quo. I have been re-reading X-Men from the beginning, and the thing that keeps jumping out at me in the earlier stories is the in story recognition of time passing, specifically in regard to how much a character has grown or things have changed since that time. That sort of thing NEVER happens anymore, because the books are now being structured to remain in stasis forever rather than grow and develop.

If I could change anything, it would be that.
    This!

Sure, good stories happen within the status quo but you just know that any significant development will not happen. Or will be wiped away 6 months down the line.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    This!

Sure, good stories happen within the status quo but you just know that any significant development will not happen. Or will be wiped away 6 months down the line.
    When they made some changed to Spider-Man like orgaic webbing (ALWAYS thought that should be part of SPIDER-Mans power set) along with a few others and I just knew, nope, can't have that, how long until they change this? Few months later.............yep!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sonofspam1972 View Post
    Is it common knowledge that he has done these things?.
    Didn't he boast about it is his own newspaper? I don't know, it's been like two decades for me.
    Last edited by Carabas; 07-20-2014 at 02:40 AM.

BANNED

The recent trend in having pencils high contrasted and coloured in lieu of inks.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

The thing I like least is one of the bases of the genre, the non changing age and eternal life of the superhero. I would be more interested if you could follow the trajectory of the person's life and have new heroes come up. But the fact that Clark Kent, Peter Parker, and Bruce Wayne are the same people doing the same things without change, growth or evolution makes them much less interesting. I also don't like the changing writers. I read Batgirl now because Simone is awesome. But she will shortly leave the book and the whole character of Batgirl will be different. Some with the current Wonder Woman. I would like it more if Batgirl grew up and someone else took her spot and she became Bat Yuppie or Gotham Defender or something else. One writer could set the tone and if someone else wanted to do something stupid, they could do it with a new character. However, this will never happen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    The thing I like least is one of the bases of the genre, the non changing age and eternal life of the superhero. I would be more interested if you could follow the trajectory of the person's life and have new heroes come up. But the fact that Clark Kent, Peter Parker, and Bruce Wayne are the same people doing the same things without change, growth or evolution makes them much less interesting. I also don't like the changing writers. I read Batgirl now because Simone is awesome. But she will shortly leave the book and the whole character of Batgirl will be different. Some with the current Wonder Woman. I would like it more if Batgirl grew up and someone else took her spot and she became Bat Yuppie or Gotham Defender or something else. One writer could set the tone and if someone else wanted to do something stupid, they could do it with a new character. However, this will never happen.
    That is part of the thing that makes me not that upset with the announcement of new people taking the mantle of classic heroes like Thor & Captain America. If it is handled pretty well then I wouldn't mind if someone else takes the original hero or heroine's place. Like what the current Ms.Marvel is doing. However what really gets me is that, at some point, it will all be handwaved then people like Captain America and Thor return to their original positions again.

Cause you just know Thor and Cap will return to their original spot the moment Avengers 2 rolls around.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleWithTrebles View Post
    The recent trend in having pencils high contrasted and coloured in lieu of inks.
    Which series do this?