Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Euvari View Post
    People who hate on things they supposedly care nothing for to begin with. They don't like Spider-Man, but when news about Spider-Man is announced, they reiterate how much they hate him. Folks who think Superman is lame, and would never spend money on his merchandise. But let news of the next Superman film drop, we'll get a full page rant about why the movie shouldn't happen. I'm like, why do you care, you're not spending money on it anyways.
    Yeah, that's annoying. The people who actively want comics/movies/whatever to fail, just because they don't care for the characters involved.

Fantastic Member

Creating long lost family members for characters that have been published for 30+ years or creating new characters that were original team members before the original team. In this case, I'm referring to X-Men characters both times.

And every character seemingly knowing every other character from some time before we see the characters first published story - i.e. Tony Stark and Emma Frost.

The embarrassment over certain parts of the hero just because it's goofy
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

They won't grow old. Old people are great.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hapless Henchman View Post
    What I find annoying is the pre-judging of everything. Quotes along the lines of "This book is going to suck because x writer or x artist is on it." or "That movie is gonna suck because x actor is in it." are really annoying when not one page or one second of film has been seen yet.

Another thing I find annoying is the hard core fans of both major companies who are against whatever the other company is doing. If you enjoy titles or movies from both companies, you are seen as some sort of traitor to these people.

Internet fanboy rage. You gotta love it.
    I hope MArvel and DC start stripping the name of creators off of the front covers of books like back in the good ole days. I mean did the Avengers movie title read...JOSS WHEDON's AVENGERS..or Marvel's Avengers!

bring back those ole covers..with just the characters. Then readers will have to *gasp* actually read a book to determine if its good or not and not creator hoard. And not bias purchases--who knows, a person might discover a new writer or artist they like.

Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-25-2014 at 07:47 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    It's almost like the guys who created all those awesome characters got absolutely shafted by big companies and didn't reap any kind of rewards for all that work they put in or something?
    Ha, good point. One of the last guys that did that for Marvel was Gary Freidrich. And when Gary tried to regain some of the rights, Marvel turned around and counter-sued HIM. The reason creators don't bring fresh new ideas like, say, Hellboy, to Marvel and D.C. isn't at all mysterious.

Aggh, why can't we curse any more? You really need some dirty words to describe these companies.

Also, stuff like this:

What is going on here with this pose? Why do you need high heels if you can fly?
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 05-24-2014 at 09:28 PM.

1. When writers and editors run out of ideas they... replace the characters.

Howsabout replacing the talent pool? If a writer or editor's out of ideas, replace THEM...not the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    They won't grow old. Old people are great.
    Yeah. No sign of wrinkles, grey hairs, or receding hairlines in the Marvel Universe, despite the long history of the timeline that should put some of the older superheroes in the late-30s/early-40s age range. Everyone's looking like a 20-something.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    I hope MArvel and DC start stripping the name of creators off of the front covers of books like back in the good ole days. I mean did the Avengers movie title read...JOSS WHEDON's AVENGERS..or Marvel's Avengers!

being back those ole covers..with just the characters. Then readers will have to *gasp* actually read a book to determine if its good or not and not creator hoard. And not bias purchases--who knows, a person might discover a new writer or artist they like.
    That's a horrible idea. I like that the creators get more recognition. The names of the creators are on other types of books and other types of media. Stripping them off of comics would indicate comics are an inferior creation where creators are less respected (as was the case in the good old days).

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    That's a horrible idea. I like that the creators get more recognition. The names of the creators are on other types of books and other types of media. Stripping them off of comics would indicate comics are an inferior creation where creators are less respected (as was the case in the good old days).
    But actual human beings with talent will never be as important as a faceless corporation. And quality will never be decided by actual human beings working on a comic. Quality is decided by the imaginary person inside the story or brand loyalty. "Buy Marvel Comics! This one might be good!"
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    But actual human beings with talent will never be as important as a faceless corporation. And quality will never be decided by actual human beings working on a comic. Quality is decided by the imaginary person inside the story or brand loyalty. "Buy Marvel Comics! This one might be good!"
    Honestly, though, the natural tendency to follow creators was always there in comics, even when the companies tried to fight it. Kids figured out that they liked "the good Duck artist" best without ever knowing who Carl Barks was. Neal Adams covers sold more Batman even without putting his name on there.

BANNED

Nothing whatsoever annoys me about the Superhero genre. It's my favorite genre. It's the only reason I even read comics (nearly 30 years and counting!).

Buuuuut (there's always a but), there are some specific annoyances I have with how these modern superhero stories are told.

Decompression has forced me to become a tradewaiter. I can't think of much more grinding than knowing an arc today can go on for five or more issues to tell one damned story. Now, sure I'm an old-school reader and I'm more used to the one-and-done issues and comparatively shorter arcs of old, and this is 2014, so comics aren't always written with my ilk in mind. But, damn I sure miss following monthlies like I used to before decompression really forced my hand.

Hollywood. Entertainment films have been thrilling millions for ages, but it's kind of screwed Superhero comics IMO. It used to be that I could read comics and I'd looked forward to reading about things that could only happen in a Superhero comic. But, nowadays these comics have been filled with (often mischaracterized) talking heads that seem more appropriate for TV audiences.

BANNED

If there's one thing that grinds my gears about comics it's how insufferably self-congratulatory everyone involved with their production seems to act at all times. I understand the need to promote the product but some honesty and humility once in a while can help with that too, it doesn't have to be all overwrought bombast all the time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    If there's one thing that grinds my gears about comics it's how insufferably self-congratulatory everyone involved with their production seems to act at all times. I understand the need to promote the product but some honesty and humility once in a while can help with that too, it doesn't have to be all overwrought bombast all the time.
    Blame Stan Lee.

The need that some fans and creators have to make everything serious and mature and edgy and, whatever you do, don't make it fun. It all gets quite ghastly sometimes.

What's wrong with Superman smiling as he punches a giant robot into the sun?