Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I think the big issue with homosexual characters is that its almost always very ham-fisted. For example, I have no problem with Apollo and Midnighter being a couple, as it was built up, and made sense. There was jokes long before it was official of "You too get a room" and so on. I think it is very tacky to change the sexuality of a already established character.

Living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

This is more about Marvel/DC superhero comics, but I can't stand the never ending story lines that always reset to status quo.

I'm also not a fan of the might makes right thinking behind a some of the stories.
    Read Prophet, live Stray Bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by eye of all View Post
    This is more about Marvel/DC superhero comics, but I can't stand the never ending story lines that always reset to status quo.

I'm also not a fan of the might makes right thinking behind a some of the stories.
    Yeah, I don't like that either, you're reading one or two books minding your own business, then they get caught up in some big event that CHANGES EVERYTHING, then the books are either cancelled or start over, until the next event that CHANGES EVERYTHING.

I think that events are a real problem. I get that they sell, but it's too much for me.

I also think that it would be nice to read about a hero that wasn't so quick to punch people.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 05-26-2014 at 01:44 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted Humor View Post
    Very few Superheros are family friendly. I don't mind Dark, but even the most moody Batman tries to avoid killing folks (at least in most variations before a fan-boy points out that I am wrong), and that to get a superhero comic you have to go to a comic book store.
    This bugs me too. I get that people don't want to feel like their funny books are not a respected medium but we are robbing kids of the great characters we fell in love with by making them ''adult'' which ends up just being adolecent.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    This bugs me too. I get that people don't want to feel like their funny books are not a respected medium but we are robbing kids of the great characters we fell in love with by making them ''adult'' which ends up just being adolecent.
    Nailed it in one.
    I'm 42 years old now. But I was reading comics before I could read. And I think it's mean-spirited and selfish that some people are so insistent on mainstream superhero comics 'growing up' to suit them that it's impossible for the original intended target audience to get into them.
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    Nailed it in one.
    I'm 42 years old now. But I was reading comics before I could read. And I think it's mean-spirited and selfish that some people are so insistent on mainstream superhero comics 'growing up' to suit them that it's impossible for the original intended target audience to get into them.
    That reminds me of another argument I hate.

"I'm getting old and boring. I want these great characters that I grew up with to get old and boring with me."

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I recently read No-Hero by Warren Ellis. It was disgusting and cruel, and it's put me off Superhero comics possibly forever. Probably what Ellis intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    What gets to me for one is the fact that the superhero genre is still the top genre when it comes to comic books. You get other genres in the "mainstream" every now and then (The Walking Dead) but it's still completely just superheroes. There's more to the comic book craft than that one genre.
    Why does that bother you though? It's out of your control what people like to read and don't read. If it's one genre that is bringing people into comic shops and helping the industry thrive, then why resent them if you love comics? FWIW there's never been a wider diversity of genres that's on the shelves now and you'll surely find something that you'll enjoy. It's not like the superhero genre is ruining the industry and dictating that you must buy a certain genre.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted Humor View Post
    I think the big issue with homosexual characters is that its almost always very ham-fisted. For example, I have no problem with Apollo and Midnighter being a couple, as it was built up, and made sense. There was jokes long before it was official of "You too get a room" and so on. I think it is very tacky to change the sexuality of a already established character.
    It was pretty blatant in the Stormwatch story that introduced them. Heck, Apollo even had another boyfriend in the flashbacks in that one, with the Manhunter riff.

Millar tended to make more scenes about their sexuality, but it was pretty obvious in many of their early appearances that they were a thing, and that they were gay.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

And there's no way that comics mainstream is "just superheroes."

Monica's Gang comics have outsold anything Marvel or DC's put out in the last ten years. Outside of specialty shops, Diary of a Wimpy Kid outsells most DC or Marvel comics every time a new one is released. More people, still, have read a Garfield of Peanuts comic than have read an X-Men comic. Most people who know or care about Spider-Man or Superman, care about him from movies and cartoons or toys, with very few of them likely able to even remember the last Spidey/Superman comic they ever read, if they ever have.

Where superheroes continue to dominate is in American specialty shops and, arguably, in received wisdom/reflex assumption.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post

The other thing I don't like is the sense of absolutism, something is either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever, there's no middle ground.
    This very much so. When I "review" a book I list the pros and cons but I think some people just love to pull the great or awful card more out of a fan, writer or character rivalry and it becomes quite tiring and mind numbing.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Fan gate-keeping. AKA who is or isn't an A-list character.

A lot of times the only way the barrier is broken is when those outside of comics take a liking to a character and demand to see more of the character and comic fans follow suit. Prices on first appearances go up and all of a sudden the character is more relevant/viable.

I wish we as readers were more open to any character potentially becoming A-list instead of RSVP spots to Superman, Wonderwoman, Batman, Spiderman, Wolverine, Iron Man etc.

Let's just have characters EARN spots by interesting stories and characterization and not just go on tradition.
    Yep, its gotten really bad the last few years. I dont give a crap really, I just wanna read stories. Are we reading comics or is this E channel? Its pretty silly I think.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 05-26-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    And are hoodies that gigantically uncommon in your area?
    Hoodies are common for everyone in real life but still the stereotype exists of black kids in hoodies are all criminals (as evidenced by Mark Cuban's comments, how Geraldo defends him and Rush Limbaugh claiming the hoodie is now the h-word). I don't know any white characters who wear them in comics. I may be wrong.

Not every criticism of comics is a personal attack on the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I think that events are a real problem. I get that they sell, but it's too much for me.
    "Event fatigue" I definitely have it. I just don't bother with mainstream on-goings anymore unless they're isolated like Young Avengers.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 05-27-2014 at 12:08 AM.

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Isn't that the point though? I was 14 when Watchmen and DKR was originally released and I thought they were both a great new direction for DC. I'm so glad the internet didn't exist back then cause I'd hate to have to listen to older fans complain about how my favourite comics were not 'kid friendly' enough.

Super heroes are an adolescent power fantasy, after all. I'm all far an alternate line up for other demographics but I'm annoyed by this rally for 'wholesomeness'.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by The Beast; 05-27-2014 at 12:25 AM.

I don't think anyone's saying all superhero comics should be suitable for eight-year-olds. It's more a case of too many (especially from one particular publisher) trying desperately to show how grownup and edgy they are, and ending up with a bunch of joyless grimdark rubbish.
    Last edited by Spike-X; 05-27-2014 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Hoodies are common for everyone in real life but still the stereotype exists of black kids in hoodies are all criminals (as evidenced by Mark Cuban's comments, how Geraldo defends him and Rush Limbaugh claiming the hoodie is now the h-word). I don't know any white characters who wear them in comics. I may be wrong.
    I've seen Michael Morbius, the X-men's Banshee, and Clark Kent all sporting hoodies at various points.