Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I've seen Michael Morbius, the X-men's Banshee, and Clark Kent all sporting hoodies at various points.
    Also The Hood (in another disguise), Spider-Man, Black Canary, Ultimate Wolverine's kid? Grace, from the Outsiders?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Sexism.
    Misogyny.
    Objectification.
    Shock-value death.
    Meaningless, directionless stories.
    Lack of real consequences to said stories.
    Also, fan-rage.
    And so on...
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Also The Hood (in another disguise), Spider-Man, Black Canary, Ultimate Wolverine's kid? Grace, from the Outsiders?
    Are you saying The Hood once wore a hoodie, or that's the Hood's cloak is a hoodie? Because if it's the former, I have to see a picture of it. If it's the latter, well, c'mon, it isn't the latter, is it?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Are you saying The Hood once wore a hoodie, or that's the Hood's cloak is a hoodie? Because if it's the former, I have to see a picture of it. If it's the latter, well, c'mon, it isn't the latter, is it?
    Okeh, so they were disguised as thugs, still, this is hilarious and has nothing to do with being black, any more than hoodies in Cradlegrave or Action Comics are about a black stereotype:

Hoodies were tied to race by racist idiots, the same way anything can be tried to anyone by racist idiots. But they're prevalent enough, even in comics, that I don't think it counts an ethnic signifier just yet. More often, now, it just reminds people of what one poor kid was wearing he was murdered.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 05-27-2014 at 06:07 AM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Why does that bother you though? It's out of your control what people like to read and don't read. If it's one genre that is bringing people into comic shops and helping the industry thrive, then why resent them if you love comics? FWIW there's never been a wider diversity of genres that's on the shelves now and you'll surely find something that you'll enjoy. It's not like the superhero genre is ruining the industry and dictating that you must buy a certain genre.
    It's more so that I wish there was more genres up there with the mainstream superhero stuff. I don't fault anyone for what they enjoy genre-wise. I say it's all good. I just wish there was more variety being produced that can match the popularity, is all. Me posting that part isn't me being a fuming fanboy geek ready to through a table, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    any more than hoodies in Cradlegrave or Action Comics are about a black stereotype
    Yeah, if you see hoodies in a British comic (or British-set comic done by Brits), you'll see hoodies because they're a clear market of city youths (and suburban youths wanting to look cool), especially the working class.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Deaths which do not stick. And events that are completely out of character (i.e. make no sense for the characters involved.)
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Sexism.
    Misogyny.
    Objectification.
    Shock-value death.
    Also, fan-rage.
    And so on...
    That's what I was about to say.

It's just not fair, I never get to say something original, like maybe "fooflurbluh ploomfrahsha".
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

Spectacular Member

Sometimes episodes are too much naive, 'good' always wins 'bad' lose.

Not much about the specific genre annoys me -- It's my favorite comics genre and I still love it. I have a great deal of annoyance about current business practices, editorial decisions, and the like.

Absurd amount of luck :P

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Isn't that the point though? I was 14 when Watchmen and DKR was originally released and I thought they were both a great new direction for DC. I'm so glad the internet didn't exist back then cause I'd hate to have to listen to older fans complain about how my favourite comics were not 'kid friendly' enough.

Super heroes are an adolescent power fantasy, after all. I'm all far an alternate line up for other demographics but I'm annoyed by this rally for 'wholesomeness'.

Just my 2 cents.
    I don't think most are after the wholesomeness deal but rather that the ulra-violence, rape, and excessive gore shouldn't be a part of mainstream superhero comics. Like having limbs pulled off in a spurting mess in a DC event comic or like when the Sentry pulled Ares apart to spew his internal organs at the reader in a splash page.

Look at some of the biggest hit movies out there, most are sci fi/ fantasy adventure films with adventure, action, and a bit of romance that would fit right at home on a comic page. Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Harry Potter, the first Matrix movie etc. There's tons more examples of these films that are enjoyed by all age groups. Nolan's Batman films, regardless if you love or hate them, is another example of how to have something darker and more adult in tone but still accessible to all audiences as opposed to say Kick-Ass. So it can be done.

And truth be told there a kind of same vibe going on with marvel/dc, all is grim/dark, majority of heroes have tragic pasts no one is allowed to have fun or happiness. It all has the same boring feel. I think everyone is trying to be batman at DC but not every character should be based around tragedy. Tell me that if you suddenly got superpowers you wouldn't find the time to go "Holy crap! This is amazing!" once in a while?
    Last edited by Hamdinger; 05-29-2014 at 12:35 AM.

BANNED

The no kill rule and super villains constantly escaping and killing countless lives as result.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying a superhero should be kill happy but in some rare situations lethal force should be used against villains that would continue to kill countless people unless said villain is brought down for good.

Also the whole grim dark just for the sake of grim dark approach or make ever character tragic and broody like Batman. Just because it works for Batman doesn't mean it has to work for everyone else.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    The no kill rule and super villains constantly escaping and killing countless lives as result.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying a superhero should be kill happy but in some rare situations lethal force should be used against villains that would continue to kill countless people unless said villain is brought down for good.

Also the whole grim dark just for the sake of grim dark approach or make ever character tragic and broody like Batman. Just because it works for Batman doesn't mean it has to work for everyone else.
    Exactly. The reason why I enjoyed Waid's early Daredevil run was because it was fun and I dropped it when it was no longer fun for me. Not every character has to be so bleak and/or heavy. This is partly why I'm enjoying Slaine so much now, it's so much fun > on top of the lovely production values. I want some of that back in American super hero comics.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    Exactly. The reason why I enjoyed Waid's early Daredevil run was because it was fun and I dropped it when it was no longer fun for me. Not every character has to be so bleak and/or heavy. This is partly why I'm enjoying Slaine so much now, it's so much fun > on top of the lovely production values. I want some of that back in American super hero comics.
    It's why I've skipped DC and Marvel all together and searched for other comics outside of the companies mentioned. I missed the days when Marvel used to be, while grounded, still maintain that fun factor while with DC it used to embrace the colorful superhero archtypes. It's interesting in that the MCU actually managed to be what Marvel Comics used to be. It has dramatic moments yet still have it's superhero moments also.