Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Default Mute threads/set them invisible?

Is there any way to mute a thread on my end so it no longer appears in my forum feeds? There are certain threads/topics that I know I'll never be interested in and when they never leave the front page it keeps me from conveniently seeing a broader spectrum of topics.

Thanks in advance for any info, tips, or suggestions!
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

I'd love this as well.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

BANNED

Maybe threads could have tags, too, and we could set them invisible by tag. Then if someone didn't want to see appreciation threads or social threads or Celine Dion threads or whatever, they could just filter them. It would cut down on the complaining a lot.

Sooooo, do we just wait to hear from a moderator about this or just give up or wha? Also, if we don't get an official answer, does anyone know of a way the effect could be achieved via some kind of browser extension??

As far as I know there is no way to give users the option to pick and choose which threads remain visible through vBulletin.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

OK, thanks for replying! I'll see if I can come up with some other solution. I want to keep using this forum, but, the proliferation of certain threads and topics is making it difficult.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    Sooooo, do we just wait to hear from a moderator about this or just give up or wha? Also, if we don't get an official answer, does anyone know of a way the effect could be achieved via some kind of browser extension??
    Of course.

If you run Firefox you could easily use the Greasemonkey add-on to filter out certain threads. Could also look for some pre-made filters if you don't know JS/HTML too well.

But, that would not let you see more of the other threads on the front page, for that you need server/vBulletin support.

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    Of course.

If you run Firefox you could easily use the Greasemonkey add-on to filter out certain threads. Could also look for some pre-made filters if you don't know JS/HTML too well.

But, that would not let you see more of the other threads on the front page, for that you need server/vBulletin support.
    Aw, thanks for the feedback, man. Much appreciated! I use Chrome however (Windows 8.1 ... long story). Any suggestions for that browser?

Aw, thanks for the feedback, man. Much appreciated! I use Chrome however (Windows 8.1 ... long story). Any suggestions for that browser?
    Sure, looks like Tampermonkey is the Chrome equivalent.

https://www.google.fi/search?q=chrome+greasemonkey

And here's some scripts that will supposedly hide forum threads.

https://www.google.com/search?q=user...forum%20thread

I haven't tested any of these myself, so no guarantees. But it's definitely possible, with more or less work.

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    Sure, looks like Tampermonkey is the Chrome equivalent.

https://www.google.fi/search?q=chrome+greasemonkey

And here's some scripts that will supposedly hide forum threads.

https://www.google.com/search?q=user...forum%20thread

I haven't tested any of these myself, so no guarantees. But it's definitely possible, with more or less work.
    Wow. I'll try these out! Really cool of you to look into this for me. Thanks so much! If it works, I think it will make my time on the boards a lot more interesting. =)

Wow. I'll try these out! Really cool of you to look into this for me. Thanks so much! If it works, I think it will make my time on the boards a lot more interesting. =)
    Not much effort on my case, just a little googling.

If you try some scripts out, keep in mind that CBR uses the vBulletin 4 forum software (version 4.2.2 to be exact), the script probably need to explicitly target that.

Good luck!