Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Are you Excited for Truth?

I never get into the Superman comics. The last Event was the Death and Return of superman but with the new Truth story ark it might be a good place to jump in
    I think all I need to know is Superman got a new power and he got outed by Lois

"Excited" is less the word I'd use to describe it. I think I'm more curious than anything. I guess curiosity is a big part of excitement, but as much as I think this story can be great, it's just as likely that it could be a complete disaster.

At least the premise isn't dull.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

A Superman story where he loses his powers for the 900th time, gets stabbed in the back by one of his closest friends, has no secret identity, and is lashing out at everyone around him? A story where he rides around on a motorcycle and can't even beat up Jim freaking Gordon? A story that begins with "Superman" boo-hooing over the loss of an easily repaired piece of cloth?

Nope. Not excited. Won't be buying any of the affected books until this crap is over.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    A Superman story where he loses his powers for the 900th time, gets stabbed in the back by one of his closest friends, has no secret identity, and is lashing out at everyone around him? A story where he rides around on a motorcycle and can't even beat up Jim freaking Gordon? A story that begins with "Superman" boo-hooing over the loss of an easily repaired piece of cloth?

Nope. Not excited. Won't be buying any of the affected books until this crap is over.
    You make it sound like it was Jim Gordon in the flesh, which it wasn't and Clark is just a regular Joe at the moment, so yeah it is expected he can't beat up a freaking armoured robot.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Fantastic Member

Not particularly.

If anything, I'd say I'm conflicted.

On one hand, I want to give Greg Pak the benefit of the doubt because I really loved his work prior to Doomed, though I haven't enjoyed his work as much following that crossover. And I definitely want to give Gene Luen Yang a fair shot despite not being overly thrilled with the preview. I've also enjoyed Peter Tomasi's work in the past, largely the Green Lantern Corps prior to the reboot, but much like Soule before him, his work on Superman/Wonder Woman has been hit or miss with me.

On the other hand, I'm pretty damn sick of the depowered Superman trope. Not because it's been used often, which I'm not sure it has in all honesty, but because it just comes off as really lazy, regardless of whatever the point of this storyline is.

So yeah, conflicted would be the word I'd use.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    You make it sound like it was Jim Gordon in the flesh, which it wasn't and Clark is just a regular Joe at the moment, so yeah it is expected he can't beat up a freaking armoured robot.
    And a "Superman" who can't beat up a freaking armored robot is no Superman worth reading about. IMO, of course.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

I'm all in.

I don't know if excited is how I'd describe my feelings. More apprehensive I guess. It's a big risk to drastically change the things they're changing. So I hope it's good, but I remain cautious.

BANNED

Considering this is a betrayal of what makes Superman Super, I would say no. The authors should be ashamed of themselves for going along with this.

I'm not sure excited is the word I'd use.. but I will give it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Will J. View Post
    Not particularly.

If anything, I'd say I'm conflicted.

On one hand, I want to give Greg Pak the benefit of the doubt because I really loved his work prior to Doomed, though I haven't enjoyed his work as much following that crossover. And I definitely want to give Gene Luen Yang a fair shot despite not being overly thrilled with the preview. I've also enjoyed Peter Tomasi's work in the past, largely the Green Lantern Corps prior to the reboot, but much like Soule before him, his work on Superman/Wonder Woman has been hit or miss with me.

On the other hand, I'm pretty damn sick of the depowered Superman trope. Not because it's been used often, which I'm not sure it has in all honesty, but because it just comes off as really lazy, regardless of whatever the point of this storyline is.

So yeah, conflicted would be the word I'd use.
    Same, sadly.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm torn. Want this to crash and burn so they could knock it the hell off with this grounding crap. But if this turns out to be great, I win lol

I'm excited because of the secret identity angle. The losing the powers stuff has been done before so that's no big deal, but exploring him completely out in the open for a decent period of time is of interest to me. Also the idea of making Lois important again, and giving him a more three-dimensional supporting cast all-around. At least that's what it sounds like.

I do look forward to him getting his costume back, though. I can roll with the t-shirt and jeans for a little while, but not too long.

More than anything though? After the borefest of Convergence I'm just excited to get back to DC period.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-29-2015 at 02:16 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Looks interesting enough to me. Granted, some of my excitement comes from my trust in the guy who writes half the books, but if the sneak peeks are anything to go by (although Superman/Wonder Woman was clearly behind the others. On the other hand, it's also the best Superman/Wonder Woma issue by Tomasi, so), I think it has the potential to be pretty good.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Apprehensively curiously cautious is the best to describe my feelings of this arc.