Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Are you Excited for Truth?

I never get into the Superman comics. The last Event was the Death and Return of superman but with the new Truth story ark it might be a good place to jump in
    I think all I need to know is Superman got a new power and he got outed by Lois

"Excited" is less the word I'd use to describe it. I think I'm more curious than anything. I guess curiosity is a big part of excitement, but as much as I think this story can be great, it's just as likely that it could be a complete disaster.

At least the premise isn't dull.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

A Superman story where he loses his powers for the 900th time, gets stabbed in the back by one of his closest friends, has no secret identity, and is lashing out at everyone around him? A story where he rides around on a motorcycle and can't even beat up Jim freaking Gordon? A story that begins with "Superman" boo-hooing over the loss of an easily repaired piece of cloth?

Nope. Not excited. Won't be buying any of the affected books until this crap is over.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    A Superman story where he loses his powers for the 900th time, gets stabbed in the back by one of his closest friends, has no secret identity, and is lashing out at everyone around him? A story where he rides around on a motorcycle and can't even beat up Jim freaking Gordon? A story that begins with "Superman" boo-hooing over the loss of an easily repaired piece of cloth?

Nope. Not excited. Won't be buying any of the affected books until this crap is over.
    You make it sound like it was Jim Gordon in the flesh, which it wasn't and Clark is just a regular Joe at the moment, so yeah it is expected he can't beat up a freaking armoured robot.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    You make it sound like it was Jim Gordon in the flesh, which it wasn't and Clark is just a regular Joe at the moment, so yeah it is expected he can't beat up a freaking armoured robot.
    And a "Superman" who can't beat up a freaking armored robot is no Superman worth reading about. IMO, of course.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

I'm all in.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

And a "Superman" who can't beat up a freaking armored robot is no Superman worth reading about. IMO, of course.
    Fair enough.
    Personally I am moreso intrigued than excited, but I hear Pak engineered this? And I have heard non stop praise from his work on AC, so that is encouraging.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Fantastic Member

Not particularly.

If anything, I'd say I'm conflicted.

On one hand, I want to give Greg Pak the benefit of the doubt because I really loved his work prior to Doomed, though I haven't enjoyed his work as much following that crossover. And I definitely want to give Gene Luen Yang a fair shot despite not being overly thrilled with the preview. I've also enjoyed Peter Tomasi's work in the past, largely the Green Lantern Corps prior to the reboot, but much like Soule before him, his work on Superman/Wonder Woman has been hit or miss with me.

On the other hand, I'm pretty damn sick of the depowered Superman trope. Not because it's been used often, which I'm not sure it has in all honesty, but because it just comes off as really lazy, regardless of whatever the point of this storyline is.

So yeah, conflicted would be the word I'd use.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Unless the guy writing this is the new Alan Moore, I agree with Vanguard.

I don't need my Superman to be broken down.

LOL, that basically sums it up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I'm also glad too that they aren't replacing that logo with an equally atrocious "DC YOU" logo. If anything, after four years, I'm glad we are simply back to DC COMICS.
    We are?! When did that happen? Must have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    44 minutes. Thanks for the resume. So, just let me see from the interviews I've read:

Pak: Batman fan 1st, Superman fan... afterward.
    Tomasi: Batman fan 1st, Superman fan...
    Romita: Batman fan 1st...
    Geoff: Doesn't like Batman that much, but doesn't like Superman either.
    Yang: Likes Bruce Timm's version of the character.
    Morrisson: Batman fan 1st.

We just have to accept that Batman is the one who atracts the talent. Can it still be said that DC doesn't make an effort to find Superman fans amongst the talent or is it just a fact of life that the market is flooded with Batman fanboys?
    We have to accept that much of the "talent" DC has working for it today was exposed to the hit list of Batman stories, rather than the actual defining runs. Snyder and others seem like they've only read Miller and Loeb's stuff. What about the work of O'Neil, Englehart, Grant, Moench, and Dixon? The stories they told defined The Batman for a generation and yet no one talks about their influence.

The Batman is sadly DC's cash cow right now. If the WB wasn't comprised of a bunch of short-sighted chimps, they would have realized that what worked for The Batman doesn't work for all characters and that Nolan's take was only possible with that character. The next logical progression would then be to get creators on their films (and in the comics) who know and love the character and have a specific take on that character.

Thus, we'd have Brad Bird on Superman films instead of the guy who co-wrote Nolan's trilogy and the guy who makes flashy and dumb movies that appeal to kids giving us their emo, angst-ridden, awash in darkness NotSoSuperman. Imagine if each DC hero had a film that reflected its history and iconic elements in a way that was different than all the other movies in the same stable? The Batman would be cloaked in shadow, Superman aglow with hope and nobility, Wonder Woman in power and compassion. Instead, we're getting the DCU as filtered through the grimy lens of Nolan, Goyer, and Snyder. The same holds true for these new takes in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    LOL, that basically sums it up.
    Yep, it certainly does.

I never thought a story would make me reconsider Grounded. At least I recognized Superman in that story. He wasn't de-powered yet again, he wasn't being used as a PC mouthpiece for a writer which DC seems to only laud in its copy because of his racial background, and he was still acting like Superman. JMS was attempting to explore the character of Superman as he was, not as he wanted him to be.

DC seems to have lost sight of that type of approach since then. Ironically, JMS' take in the Earth One OGNs remains superior to everything in the mainstream line since 2011 outside of Morrison's Action run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xon-Ur View Post
    We have to accept that much of the "talent" DC has working for it today was exposed to the hit list of Batman stories, rather than the actual defining runs. Snyder and others seem like they've only read Miller and Loeb's stuff. What about the work of O'Neil, Englehart, Grant, Moench, and Dixon? The stories they told defined The Batman for a generation and yet no one talks about their influence.

The Batman is sadly DC's cash cow right now. If the WB wasn't comprised of a bunch of short-sighted chimps, they would have realized that what worked for The Batman doesn't work for all characters and that Nolan's take was only possible with that character. The next logical progression would then be to get creators on their films (and in the comics) who know and love the character and have a specific take on that character.

Thus, we'd have Brad Bird on Superman films instead of the guy who co-wrote Nolan's trilogy and the guy who makes flashy and dumb movies that appeal to kids giving us their emo, angst-ridden, awash in darkness NotSoSuperman. Imagine if each DC hero had a film that reflected its history and iconic elements in a way that was different than all the other movies in the same stable? The Batman would be cloaked in shadow, Superman aglow with hope and nobility, Wonder Woman in power and compassion. Instead, we're getting the DCU as filtered through the grimy lens of Nolan, Goyer, and Snyder. The same holds true for these new takes in the comics.
    Ah, man, you caught me wrong footed. I'm trying to stop my Batgod rants. I know they are useless, LOL. I know that as long as Batgod sells more toys Supes doesn't stand a chance. I think that you are right about what works for Batman doesn't necessarily work for other heroes. And MOS was bleak, not because of the color filter, but because the only ray of light in that movie was Martha. Even Lois was subdued. But I'm in too much of a good mood right now to discuss this.

But I'd like a story where Supes defeats Batman by throwing toys at him. Pow! A lego spaceship. Crash! A box of matchbox cars. Boom! A G.I. Joe Aircraft Carrier to the noggin. Down goes Bats defeated at his own game.

Yep, it certainly does.

I never thought a story would make me reconsider Grounded. At least I recognized Superman in that story. He wasn't de-powered yet again, he wasn't being used as a PC mouthpiece for a writer which DC seems to only laud in its copy because of his racial background, and he was still acting like Superman. JMS was attempting to explore the character of Superman as he was, not as he wanted him to be.

DC seems to have lost sight of that type of approach since then. Ironically, JMS' take in the Earth One OGNs remains superior to everything in the mainstream line since 2011 outside of Morrison's Action run.
    I have to disagree here. Yang's issue is the one I'm waiting for the most. It was the best story in the FCBD issue/sneak peeks. His writing of Jimmy, Lois and Clark was fantastical. The natural interactions I've wanted to see forever. Clark is still fighting, he's still Superman. It's not about pc/race/worshiping/populism. It's about settling once and for all the issue of his identity and having writers from here on concentrating on writing good stories, instead of always worrying about his 'humaness'.