Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!!!!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

^^^ "I'll have what she's having."

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!!!!
    Ha. Right in the stuff. Clark Kent, combat pragmatist.
    So, I take it that the guy Clark's talking about is Luthor? And they've actually been teaming up all along in the Sneak Peek?
    Interesting.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Also, just realized...these guys actually are the supremacists from issue 25?
    That's kinda cool.

Spectacular Member Virile Agitur's Avatar

oh. right in the sweet spot.
    yeah. this is the superman i want more of.

Damn, now I have to step out of the conversation for fear of spoilers. But if Superlad and Auguste are both hyped? Im down for this all the way.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I'm also glad too that they aren't replacing that logo with an equally atrocious "DC YOU" logo. If anything, after four years, I'm glad we are simply back to DC COMICS.
    We are?! When did that happen? Must have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    44 minutes. Thanks for the resume. So, just let me see from the interviews I've read:

Pak: Batman fan 1st, Superman fan... afterward.
    Tomasi: Batman fan 1st, Superman fan...
    Romita: Batman fan 1st...
    Geoff: Doesn't like Batman that much, but doesn't like Superman either.
    Yang: Likes Bruce Timm's version of the character.
    Morrisson: Batman fan 1st.

We just have to accept that Batman is the one who atracts the talent. Can it still be said that DC doesn't make an effort to find Superman fans amongst the talent or is it just a fact of life that the market is flooded with Batman fanboys?
    We have to accept that much of the "talent" DC has working for it today was exposed to the hit list of Batman stories, rather than the actual defining runs. Snyder and others seem like they've only read Miller and Loeb's stuff. What about the work of O'Neil, Englehart, Grant, Moench, and Dixon? The stories they told defined The Batman for a generation and yet no one talks about their influence.

The Batman is sadly DC's cash cow right now. If the WB wasn't comprised of a bunch of short-sighted chimps, they would have realized that what worked for The Batman doesn't work for all characters and that Nolan's take was only possible with that character. The next logical progression would then be to get creators on their films (and in the comics) who know and love the character and have a specific take on that character.

Thus, we'd have Brad Bird on Superman films instead of the guy who co-wrote Nolan's trilogy and the guy who makes flashy and dumb movies that appeal to kids giving us their emo, angst-ridden, awash in darkness NotSoSuperman. Imagine if each DC hero had a film that reflected its history and iconic elements in a way that was different than all the other movies in the same stable? The Batman would be cloaked in shadow, Superman aglow with hope and nobility, Wonder Woman in power and compassion. Instead, we're getting the DCU as filtered through the grimy lens of Nolan, Goyer, and Snyder. The same holds true for these new takes in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    LOL, that basically sums it up.
    Yep, it certainly does.

I never thought a story would make me reconsider Grounded. At least I recognized Superman in that story. He wasn't de-powered yet again, he wasn't being used as a PC mouthpiece for a writer which DC seems to only laud in its copy because of his racial background, and he was still acting like Superman. JMS was attempting to explore the character of Superman as he was, not as he wanted him to be.

DC seems to have lost sight of that type of approach since then. Ironically, JMS' take in the Earth One OGNs remains superior to everything in the mainstream line since 2011 outside of Morrison's Action run.

BANNED

Wow..."Superman" kicks someone in the testicles and then breaks one of their hands, and the so-called "Superman fans" cheer?

These truly are the end days.

Quote Originally Posted by Xon-Ur View Post
    Wow..."Superman" kicks someone in the testicles and then breaks one of their hands, and the so-called "Superman fans" cheer?

Heh. Like my mom always says, closed minded people are always the ones losing in the end.

NOT A HOAX!
    NOT AN IMAGINARY STORY!
    HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS AS SUPERMAN.......gives a stern lecture to a bunch of villains bent on killing him.
    STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT THRILLING ADVENTURE!

BANNED

We have to accept that much of the "talent" DC has working for it today was exposed to the hit list of Batman stories, rather than the actual defining runs. Snyder and others seem like they've only read Miller and Loeb's stuff. What about the work of O'Neil, Englehart, Grant, Moench, and Dixon? The stories they told defined The Batman for a generation and yet no one talks about their influence.

The Batman is sadly DC's cash cow right now. If the WB wasn't comprised of a bunch of short-sighted chimps, they would have realized that what worked for The Batman doesn't work for all characters and that Nolan's take was only possible with that character. The next logical progression would then be to get creators on their films (and in the comics) who know and love the character and have a specific take on that character.

Thus, we'd have Brad Bird on Superman films instead of the guy who co-wrote Nolan's trilogy and the guy who makes flashy and dumb movies that appeal to kids giving us their emo, angst-ridden, awash in darkness NotSoSuperman. Imagine if each DC hero had a film that reflected its history and iconic elements in a way that was different than all the other movies in the same stable? The Batman would be cloaked in shadow, Superman aglow with hope and nobility, Wonder Woman in power and compassion. Instead, we're getting the DCU as filtered through the grimy lens of Nolan, Goyer, and Snyder. The same holds true for these new takes in the comics.
    Ah, man, you caught me wrong footed. I'm trying to stop my Batgod rants. I know they are useless, LOL. I know that as long as Batgod sells more toys Supes doesn't stand a chance. I think that you are right about what works for Batman doesn't necessarily work for other heroes. And MOS was bleak, not because of the color filter, but because the only ray of light in that movie was Martha. Even Lois was subdued. But I'm in too much of a good mood right now to discuss this.

But I'd like a story where Supes defeats Batman by throwing toys at him. Pow! A lego spaceship. Crash! A box of matchbox cars. Boom! A G.I. Joe Aircraft Carrier to the noggin. Down goes Bats defeated at his own game.

Yep, it certainly does.

I never thought a story would make me reconsider Grounded. At least I recognized Superman in that story. He wasn't de-powered yet again, he wasn't being used as a PC mouthpiece for a writer which DC seems to only laud in its copy because of his racial background, and he was still acting like Superman. JMS was attempting to explore the character of Superman as he was, not as he wanted him to be.

DC seems to have lost sight of that type of approach since then. Ironically, JMS' take in the Earth One OGNs remains superior to everything in the mainstream line since 2011 outside of Morrison's Action run.
    I have to disagree here. Yang's issue is the one I'm waiting for the most. It was the best story in the FCBD issue/sneak peeks. His writing of Jimmy, Lois and Clark was fantastical. The natural interactions I've wanted to see forever. Clark is still fighting, he's still Superman. It's not about pc/race/worshiping/populism. It's about settling once and for all the issue of his identity and having writers from here on concentrating on writing good stories, instead of always worrying about his 'humaness'.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I have doubts about TRUTH myself...but anyone who reads this preview and ACTION #41 and opines that this is totally out of character and "not Superman"...well they apparently haven't read any of the early Siegel and Shuster Superman stories or even the 90's triangle era Post-Byrne pre-Loeb Superman stories...because this is just that guy with his back pushed against the wall and without the traditional costume.

Hell Auguste Dupin's tag line comes from ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #526...Knee deep in the triangle era. That Superman was a sh!t kicker. It's just that I guess we haven't seen that guy for so long that whenever he shows up, we get cries of "OMG SUPERMAN IS SO OUT IF CHARACTER!!!!! THEY ARE RUINING HIM!!!!!" all over. The fact is, the "nice" boy scout Superman is actually the out of character portrayle when judging which version is "in character".

I get the feeling if Siegel and Shuster were alive and reading this...they may be leery of the lack of his traditional suit...but they'd likely give a thumbs up to his characterization here. I am not sold on the whole TRUTH story yet (How Lois is portrayed in the next few issues of SUPERMAN will determine that for me),however, one thing that Pak has right here is Supes' voice. No complaints there.

Oh given his power level (or lack of it) he was justified in his breaking of hands, and balls. They were big, mean and tough racists who were trying to kill him. What was he supposed to do? Talk them down while they stabbed him to death?

I have doubts about TRUTH myself...but anyone who reads this preview and ACTION #41 and opines that this is totally out of character and "not Superman"...well they apparently haven't read any of the early Siegel and Shuster Superman stories or even the 90's triangle era Post-Byrne pre-Loeb Superman stories...because this is just that guy with his back pushed against the wall and without the traditional costume.

Hell Auguste Dupin's tag line comes from ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #526...Knee deep in the triangle era. That Superman was a sh!t kicker. It's just that I guess we haven't seen that guy for so long that whenever he shows up, we get cries of "OMG SUPERMAN IS SO OUT IF CHARACTER!!!!! THEY ARE RUINING HIM!!!!!" all over. The fact is, the "nice" boy scout Superman is actually the out of character portrayle when judging which version is "in character".

I get the feeling if Siegel and Shuster were alive and reading this...they may be leery of the lack of his traditional suit...but they'd likely give a thumbs up to his characterization here. I am not sold on the whole TRUTH story yet (How Lois is portrayed in the next few issues of SUPERMAN will determine that for me),however, one thing that Pak has right here is Supes' voice. No complaints there.

Oh given his power level (or lack of it) he was justified in his breaking of hands, and balls. They were big, mean and tough racists who were trying to kill him. What was he supposed to do? Talk them down while they stabbed him to death?
    Pretty much.
    Plus, just because he kicked the nuts and stepped on the hand doesn't mean any of it is broken. These guys are cyborgs, after all, they can take a bit of a beating.

On another note entirely, I stumbled upon this tweet from a comic shop's twitter:
    "ACTION COMICS #41, feat. T-Shirt Superman sold out in no time, showing more interest from customers in Superman that we've seen in a while"
    (here's the link: https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_).
    Of course, this had to be taken for what it is, just one report of one comic shop about the first book of an event, and nothing more. Still, if this ends up being representative to the sales of the issue, that's a good news.
    Between this, the positive reviews, and the overall positive reaction upon those who read it, I'd say it seems like a good start to me.

exactly.

the incredibly restricting box that some want to put superman in does nothing but hurt and hinder the character.