Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Alan Moore's Providence

No love for Alan Moore's newest cosmic horror series? It is very slow paced and subtle, but a stunning homage to Lovecraft and his storytelling style. Also, Moore must have watched True Detective and realized now was the time to bust out his extensive knowledge of Thomas Ligotti. Only one issue is out yet, and it did a wonderful job enveloping you in the period it takes place in (early 1900s), and seems almost like a spiritual successor to Moore's classic From Hell. You guys should get in on this one, so when it becomes Moore's next big cult classic and eventually a hugely successful film, you can tell people you are an OG fan who read it monthly via floppies.
    0.jpg

agree with you Ragdoll

It is a slow burn, and each character i felt showed a distinct personality, if not a bit too archetypical.

I thought it really flowed well, and when that happens, yup you get enveloped by the story, like a tentacle!!!

Great Cover with the tree encroaching on building 317

I believe its 1919, just after the great war.

It seems like Moore is going to go the "LOVECRAFT's writing is not fiction" route? I don't know....

The text piece was OK, as it replayed the story, sort of looping back to what we just read.

Is it a follow-up to Neonomicon or is it a standalone thing?

I believe it is related.

A new edition of that book is supposed to be out soon

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Providence is a prequel to Neonomicon, but completely stand alone into itself. You'll see a lot of stuff connecting.

Well I enjoyed the comic, I wold rather wait for the inevitable trade/HC.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    Providence is a prequel to Neonomicon, but completely stand alone into itself. You'll see a lot of stuff connecting.

Well I enjoyed the comic, I wold rather wait for the inevitable trade/HC.
    Neonomicon, itself, was a followup to another Moore work (and more or less paralleling his Lovecraftia in League comics, as well, just with less giant penguins).
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Neonomicon, itself, was a followup to another Moore work (and more or less paralleling his Lovecraftia in League comics, as well, just with less giant penguins).
    The Courtyard, which was a great read.

If I'm not mistaken Courtyard was a novel before it was turned into comics. Anyone knows if there are any noticeable differences?

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    If I'm not mistaken Courtyard was a novel before it was turned into comics.
    It was a prose story from an anthology called The Starry Wisdom: A Tribute To H.P. Lovecraft in the early 90's.

Anyhoo, I rather liked this.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Read the first issue earlier today and am hooked. I dig the references to Robert Chambers' The King in Yellow. Really looking forward to reading more.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

It's a very well done and interesting first issue as was to be expected. Moore's end is suitably conceptually pregnant, but I think the art, while defintiely in service of the story, is a little bland. I kinda wish Alan had approached Eddie Campbell for this.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    It was a prose story from an anthology called The Starry Wisdom: A Tribute To H.P. Lovecraft in the early 90's.
    I think Avatar has reprinted the short story in one of their Alan Moore collections, as well, but I can't remember which. Presumably whichever has their Courtyard comics adaptation.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Courtyard is the Neonomican collection, which i just read this weekend.

And yup moore is touching on the "HPL was not writing fiction, the Mythos is real!!!!" story.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    It's a very well done and interesting first issue as was to be expected. Moore's end is suitably conceptually pregnant, but I think the art, while defintiely in service of the story, is a little bland. I kinda wish Alan had approached Eddie Campbell for this.
    Whoa... Jacen Burrows is a FANTASTIC artist. When stuff starts getting weird and strange later on, his clean lines will be a most welcomed sight.

I read Neonomicon over the weekend after falling in love with this series and hearing they were related. I really hope this comic doesn't turn into a never ending rape scene like it's predecessor.
    As a huge fan of Lovecraft who likes to indulge in the "it's real" theories, this is right up my alley.