Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    The continent Atlantis was part of was pretty advanced before dead king split it into 7 different parts. Gorilla city is not in earth, it's in another dimension.
    And this is more realistic than Themyscira having advanced tech how?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And this is more realistic than Themyscira having advanced tech how?
    What exactly are you asking? Atlantis or Gorilla city?

Gorilla city is another dimension and it is city of super-intelligent telepaths. So yeah, the answer is yes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    This. It's cape stuff guys, reading too hard into things like this just takes away the magic and drags it back down to Earth.
    Sorry, but unless there emerges some valid reason for the Amazons to be advanced, I'll prefer them as described.

As for Atlantis and Gorilla City, there is a huge difference there. The Amazons are (normally) immortal, Atlanteans and Gorillas are not. It is going to be the same Amazons thats trying to solve the same problem for decades with no fresh perspectives to come in and try new angles. With the other two you atleast have something like age to make sure that new people eventually show up.

What exactly are you asking? Atlantis or Gorilla city?

Gorilla city is another dimension and it is city of super-intelligent telepaths. So yeah, the answer is yes.
    I'm talking about both. Seriously, you're arguing that telepathic gorillas in another dimension is realistic?

BANNED

I'm talking about both. Seriously, you're arguing that telepathic gorillas in another dimension is realistic?
    Why not? They are super-genius tale psychic gorillas, why is it so hard to understand?

The question you should be asking is "are amazons super-genius?". The answer is no.

Why not? They are super-genius tale psychic gorillas, why is it so hard to understand?

The question you should be asking is "are amazons super-genius?". The answer is no.
    My point is that the Amazons being portrayed as super geniuses is no more ridiculous than psychic gorillas which, last time I checked, did not exist in real life.

BANNED

My point is that the Amazons being portrayed as super geniuses is no more ridiculous than psychic gorillas which, last time I checked, did not exist in real life.
    Who is talking about real world? Amazons are not possess super intelligence in DCU that's why they are not scientifically advanced. Gorillas on the other are super-genius with telepathic powers that's why they presented as scientifically advanced nation.

Who is talking about real world? Amazons are not possess super intelligence in DCU that's why they are not scientifically advanced. Gorillas on the other are super-genius with telepathic powers that's why they presented as scientifically advanced nation.
    The Amazons possessed super intelligence in the Golden Age and to a lesser degree post crisis.

BANNED

The Amazons possessed super intelligence in the Golden Age and to a lesser degree post crisis.
    What does that have to do with new 52?

What does that have to do with new 52?
    Just pointing out that there's precedent for it.

BANNED

Just pointing out that there's precedent for it.
    No longer canon.

No longer canon.
    Just because bad fanfiction is the new canon it doesn't mean that its defensible

Astonishing Member

True. But then again that hasn't stopped Atlantis or Gorilla City.
    But don't we expect a little more from Wonder Woman books? Not realism, I mean, but some kind of insight, whether it's about love and "loving submission," liberty, truth, mercy, compassion and empathy and dialogue, gender equality, etc. To me, the idea that integration and dialogue are often needed for progress, and that isolation out of fear often leads to stagnation, is reasonably insightful and constructive and fitting for Wonder Woman, even if we don't get the same idea from comics featuring Atlantis or Gorilla City.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    But don't we expect a little more from Wonder Woman books? Not realism, I mean, but some kind of insight, whether it's about love and "loving submission," liberty, truth, mercy, compassion and empathy and dialogue, gender equality, etc. To me, the idea that integration and dialogue are often needed for progress, and that isolation out of fear often leads to stagnation, is reasonably insightful and constructive and fitting for Wonder Woman, even if we don't get the same idea from comics featuring Atlantis or Gorilla City.
    The writers could start by interrogating why that isolation seems so appealing to begin with.

Astonishing Member

The writers could start by interrogating why that isolation seems so appealing to begin with.
    Why the isolation is so appealing is very important. Absolutely. But they come from a culture whose chief gods were three kings who divided the world between themselves and left the scraps to everyone else, and who forced the queen "to her knees" and try to pass her around like a symbol of power (issues 5-6); so it's probably a highly patriarchal society, and it's not too much of a mystery why a society of female warriors found isolation appealing in such a society. They shouldn't, in my opinion, be condemned, by the book or the readers, for finding isolation appealing; but portraying them as technologically stagnant isn't condemning them; it's just showing the harm that someone inflicted on them by driving them into isolation and making them believe that they needed to be isolated and do terrible things in order to "survive" (as Dessa puts it).

I do hope that writers will eventually (maybe soon) get around to exploring how they specifically encountered patriarchy and were driven out. I guess we just disagree about whether this volume of Wonder Woman should have had to start with that. As disagreements go, it's a pretty mild one, I think.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 05-30-2015 at 05:35 PM.