Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    Majority of Wonder Woman fans don't care about amazons period. Fans want to read good stories and want to see main character grow, what happens to supporting characters is secondary.

BTW, there was poll on this forum and around 45% voters gave Azzarello's run 5/5 rating. Around 10% voters hated it.

Before CBR reboot Wonder Woman won best comic book of new 52 award (dc forum). Which was based on votes as well.

I've seen plenty of people that either tolerated, liked, or loved Azz's run say that they wish he had not turned the Amazons into sex-pirates. I disagree with your statement that the majority of WW fans don't care about her supporting cast. There are plenty of folks who love the more peaceful, technologically advanced Amazons along with Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, Donna Troy, Artemis, Nubia, Wonder Girl(Cassie), Julia, and Vanessa.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Actually, I happen to think encouraging people to read individual characters solobooks by introducing them through a team book is a huge reason why those kinds of books exist.

Edit: But I agree, Johns is not changing anything for the sake of a book he isn't writing, he is doing it only so his own story either makes sense or gains somekind of momentum right at the start.

It's like what he did in Blackest Night; why did all the Black Lanterns, their commanding 'officers' and their patron deity go to Earth? Because Johns invented an object they wanted that no one had ever heard about before and contradicted age old GL history (the Guardians are far older than the Earth, so how could they bury the Entity here when there was nothing to hide it in?).
    people even know johns by his retcons, he is famous for that

"Most Of" is something we won't ever have any way of knowing/proving. Either way.

As for the article, is that actually Magog on what appears to be the #44 cover.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrap View Post
    I don't think they will care that much about continuity going forward, just like the new Batgirl for example. They just ignored almost everything (including Babs characterization) from the previous run. The new Green Arrow team will do the same, they already said as much. Harley Quinn is probably the best example, the Solo book and the Suicide Squad book have nothing in common.

Going forward everybody can have guest apperances everwhere in their original version like Wonder Woman in Deathstroke or Superman in the Starfire Sneak Peek. If you just want to read Deathstroke or Starfire why should you have to care about the current WW or SM Story?
    yeah, but harley quinn solo and suicide squad run paralel. johns just rewrote amazons and WW PI origin. new batgirl doesn't contradict gail simone origins, it is just another take. Percy green arrow seems to be a continuation of what Lemire was doing. Now next WW run can ignore Meredith finch run and continue on azz, or just ignore both

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    "Most Of" is something we won't ever have any way of knowing/proving. Either way.

As for the article, is that actually Magog on what appears to be the #44 cover.
    it i snot magog, it is Kanto darkseid assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    While that may or may not be true, the fact is that many more people read Justice League each month than Wonder Woman so those that read JL and not WW will go on believing what's written in JL.
    The seeming kink in this is that things may be that way in Deathstroke as well as Wonder Woman, no?

Now, for the interesting part. Lady to Grail's direct left?

BANNED

it's Grail mother

BANNED

I've seen plenty of people that either tolerated, liked, or loved Azz's run say that they wish he had not turned the Amazons into sex-pirates.

I disagree with your statement that the majority of WW fans don't care about her supporting cast. There are plenty of folks who love the more peaceful, technologically advanced Amazons along with Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, Donna Troy, Artemis, Nubia, Wonder Girl(Cassie), Julia, and Vanessa.
    That we didn't like it did not mean we were praying for someone to come up with a kneejerk solution to unmake it.

I think he is right, the majority of Wonder Woman fans of old don't really care about the Amazons; because they are more interested in pieces of the list you provided. The Amazons were just a form of wallpaper to them, the place Diana came from, but it was always more interesting to read about Diana doing stuff with Steve, Etta, Julia or other more mundane characters.
    Also this really comes to light when you look at your own list, Artemis and Nubia are the only 'just Amazons' on it, and Nubia hasn't been seen for 50 years so totally unknown to most. You didn't include Hippolyta, Philipus, Dessa, Io or any of the others that were support characters at one time or another.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

What was broken? It was just you who didn't like it.
    Dude the WW corners of the internet went into a meltdown when that issue came out, there's no way you missed out on that. Even a lot of people on this forum who overall liked the run have said they could do without the sex raids.

Johns seemingly retconning the sex raids out and returning things to a Perez-like status quo is great for me. I'm not losing any sleep over Azz's stuff getting tossed, and if Johns' influence takes over the solo book it can only be a good thing considering what's going on in it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    Majority of Wonder Woman fans don't care about amazons period. Fans want to read good stories and want to see main character grow, what happens to supporting characters is secondary.

BTW, there was poll on this forum and around 45% voters gave Azzarello's run 5/5 rating. Around 10% voters hated it.

Before CBR reboot Wonder Woman won best comic book of new 52 award (dc forum). Which was based on votes as well.
    Care to share how you came about this knowledge, O Wise One?

Or are you just projecting your own opinions unto other people?

That we didn't like it did not mean we were praying for someone to come up with a kneejerk solution to unmake it.

I think he is right, the majority of Wonder Woman fans of old don't really care about the Amazons; because they are more interested in pieces of the list you provided. The Amazons were just a form of wallpaper to them, the place Diana came from, but it was always more interesting to read about Diana doing stuff with Steve, Etta, Julia or other more mundane characters.
    Also this really comes to light when you look at your own list, Artemis and Nubia are the only 'just Amazons' on it, and Nubia hasn't been seen for 50 years so totally unknown to most. You didn't include Hippolyta, Philipus, Dessa, Io or any of the others that were support characters at one time or another.
    Nubia was in Perez's run and wore the Shmitar(sp?) armor for a while.

I didn't mention Hippolyta because I don't like her anymore and as for the others well they just didn't immediately come to mind as I was making out my list.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Dude the WW corners of the internet went into a meltdown when that issue came out, there's no way you missed out on that. Even a lot of people on this forum who overall liked the run have said they could do without the sex raids.
    What the internet likes/dislikes is not the same as asking the entire audience. By the time this revelation came out, Wonder Woman was still selling some 50-60K issues. We on this board at most number 50 people, and amongst those it's only 5-8 thats on an actual warpath about it. Dr. Poison himself actually 'admitted' to this in another thread when we compared the Amazons doings to Donna Troy's absence, he could only remember 2 instances of Didio/DC being asked about this over a period of 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Johns seemingly retconning the sex raids out and returning things to a Perez-like status quo is great for me. I'm not losing any sleep over Azz's stuff getting tossed, and if Johns' influence takes over the solo book it can only be a good thing considering what's going on in it now.
    And you'd end up with a book with no up or down, where every single issue can contradict the one from the month before. If Johns want's influence on Wonder Woman's solo, he should descend from his abode and start writing it.

Nubia was in Perez's run and wore the Shmitar(sp?) armor for a while.
    Eh? I only remember 2 people wearing that thing, one was never revealed... and the other turned out to be Hippolyta?

I didn't mention Hippolyta because I don't like her anymore and as for the others well they just didn't immediately come to mind as I was making out my list.
    Which is just also a sign of the problem; you immediately remember the others, but the Amazons only spring to mind later down the track.

What the internet likes/dislikes is not the same as asking the entire audience. By the time this revelation came out, Wonder Woman was still selling some 50-60K issues. We on this board at most number 50 people, and amongst those it's only 5-8 thats on an actual warpath about it. Dr. Poison himself actually 'admitted' to this in another thread when we compared the Amazons doings to Donna Troy's absence, he could only remember 2 instances of Didio/DC being asked about this over a period of 3 years.

And you'd end up with a book with no up or down, where every single issue can contradict the one from the month before. If Johns want's influence on Wonder Woman's solo, he should descend from his abode and start writing it.

Eh? I only remember 2 people wearing that thing, one was never revealed... and the other turned out to be Hippolyta?

Which is just also a sign of the problem; you immediately remember the others, but the Amazons only spring to mind later down the track.

Donna, Artemis, and Nubia are all Amazons and were included in my list.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

And you'd end up with a book with no up or down, where every single issue can contradict the one from the month before. If Johns want's influence on Wonder Woman's solo, he should descend from his abode and start writing it..
    I will concede that the internet isn't the best way to get a read on the entire audience, but that cuts both ways. There are plenty of people who read and liked the story who weren't posting online, but there is an equal chance that the people not buying the title were upset with the sex raids. I believe a discussion on the old boards brought up the fact that Azzarello's WW wasn't selling much more than the title was pre-reboot, so while there was an influx of new fans there were others who dropped off.

And if Johns did write the title, as long as he could keep the continuity straight within his own run I'd have no problem. Continuity changing between writers is nothing new, and Johns is hardly the worst example in the industry. Even Morrison ignores some stuff he doesn't like. Him ditching the "Jean Grey was not actually Phoenix during the Dark Phoenix saga" retcon and turning Beast into a cat for some stupid reason spring to my mind. There's also the story of Damian not really lining up with Son of the Demon like he initially said it would. And nobody cares.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Perhaps this is the looser continuity stuff coming into play.

If so? Fine by me. I'll just keep supporting JL and ignoring Diana's main book (unless things shape up real soon) and let DC know which kind of Wonder Woman/Amazons I'm willing to spend my money on.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--