Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default New comic book series to start?

I'm new to this site so I'm not sure if this is in the right section (I'm sorry if this is the wrong section) also this question isn't just for marvel.

I've only ever read manga mostly because I like the art style a lot better but I also enjoy the characters/stories more. I'm not sure if this is important but it might help with finding a comic to read. I get all my comic book knowledge from movies/shows/youtube videos/wiki. I want to start reading comic books but I don't know where to start. Was thinking about Thor because I like the history and mythology but most of his stories is from 60 or so years ago and I'm not sure how the quality is.

I'm fine with any character(must have some super power) with a good story but I would prefer it if it is a recent comic/issue, but I can get over this if I have to. Thought about the new 52's but I hear there horrible haha but what do I know.

Don't believe the New 52 hate. There are plenty of great stories to be read in the New 52. I'd recommend Batman (no superpowers but....its batman), The Flash, Action Comics, Green Lantern, Justice League, Justice League Dark, and Aquaman.

Marvel NOW is also a good place to start. Avengers, New Avengers, Iron Man, Thor God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Captain America, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, Nova, and maybe some Spider-Man are all good.

I'm no expert on this subject but these are just some stories I enjoyed when I first started reading comics.

The current Ms. Marvel. It's actually got a bit of a manga tone to it.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    The current Ms. Marvel. It's actually got a bit of a manga tone to it.
    i actually like ms marvel, are you talking about the muslim ms marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by gator4eva View Post
    Don't believe the New 52 hate. There are plenty of great stories to be read in the New 52. I'd recommend Batman (no superpowers but....its batman), The Flash, Action Comics, Green Lantern, Justice League, Justice League Dark, and Aquaman.

Marvel NOW is also a good place to start. Avengers, New Avengers, Iron Man, Thor God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Captain America, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, Nova, and maybe some Spider-Man are all good.

I'm no expert on this subject but these are just some stories I enjoyed when I first started reading comics.
    what is the "new" avengers?

Quote Originally Posted by losttrigger View Post
    I did say the "current" one, so yes.

All-New Member

I did say the "current" one, so yes.
    could you refer me to an issue to start with?

could you refer me to an issue to start with?
    Um... the first one? There's only fifteen issues so far. Catching up should be easy, especially since there's two trades (six issues each) already.

All-New Member

Um... the first one? There's only fifteen issues so far. Catching up should be easy, especially since there's two trades (six issues each) already.
    i meant the name but i gues i can just google that because i've looked up a few comic book characters before and people would recommend issues from different series and such. also it says that she is from earth 616, is that a new timeline and is there any other good comics from this time?

i meant the name but i gues i can just google that because i've looked up a few comic book characters before and people would recommend issues from different series and such. also it says that she is from earth 616, is that a new timeline and is there any other good comics from this time?
    The current Ms. Marvel is so new, she hasn't even appeared in anything else. Just get her mainline series to start with.

616 is THE timeline for Marvel. Almost every book ever written is based in 616. This is practically common knowledge.

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

Moon Knight is about 15 issues in, and no prior knowledge is needed. Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron I think has 3 trade collections and are worth reading if you want to check out Thor.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
    Moon Knight is about 15 issues in, and no prior knowledge is needed. Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron I think has 3 trade collections and are worth reading if you want to check out Thor.
    was never a fan of moonknight

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

was never a fan of moonknight
    Not a bad time to try something new.

what is the "new" avengers?
    It is spin off Avengers book, Avengers just with different characters.

The current Ms. Marvel is so new, she hasn't even appeared in anything else. Just get her mainline series to start with.

616 is THE timeline for Marvel. Almost every book ever written is based in 616. This is practically common knowledge.
    She was in two issues of Amazing Spider-Man.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

There are a lot of new #1s starting during Secret Wars but they may not continue once the mini ends.

Personally my favorites have been (in order): Master of Kung Fu, Infinity Gauntlet, and Where Monsters Dwell.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum