forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Default the weekly collection reviews part 1

So, here's an idea. One thing I love about this subforum (altough not that fun for my wallet ) is that I always get to see new stuff which leads to me having a nicer and more diverse collection. So I thought, why not do a thread where a different single collection, regardless of genre or publisher, gets the spotlight, followed by a quick review every week? So here it is:
    I'll post a new book every week on saterday, but if you wish, you can always contact me to highlight a book yourself (saves mr some work).

First book is... King city by Brandon Graham!

I picked the full Image collection up on a recommendation from Billy Batson and I didn't regret it. It's a very underrated book since it's funny, heart warming and often just bananapants crazy. This book follows Joe, a Cat master and his cat Earthling, whom Joe can transform into practically anything at will by injecting him, including things like a periscope, a hoverboard and a key duplicater. This book, altough lacking a big epic plot, has one of the best pieces of world building you'll find in comics. King city is a strange place filled with ninja's, Aliens, shoe vending machines, drugs that transform you into the drug and all other kinds of quirky.
    KCDrugKnife.jpg If you love Graham, bizarre comics or just enjoy a funny comic, this your pick!
    Last edited by victorxd1999; 05-24-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

(Guy in the back of the crowd) Show us your pics!

Kidding aside, I wanna read that now. Also, currently looking up pics.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    (Guy in the back of the crowd) Show us your pics!

Kidding aside, I wanna read that now. Also, currently looking up pics.
    Had a problem with my own pics, I've put in some web pics now
    It's indeed a great book, only problem is that it's only in tpb (altough it's a good quality cheap tpb (400 pages, $20))
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Since you enjoyed King City, I'd suggest trying Graham's other book, Prophet. One of the best sci-fi books currently. So far there's been three trades but if you're willing to wait, , it'll eventually be collected in two big hardcovers.
    BB

Nice! I wouldn't mind helping you with these weekly reviews.

I just came home from the Vancouver Arts Festival and had a blast. A gigantic convention of nothing but Indy artists and self publishers. Came home with a bag full of Indy comics and prints but sadly didn't pick up King City. Graham was there selling it with his Prophet books. I'm going back tomorrow for some great panels, should I be picking up king city?

BTW just wanted to say one thing. The festival was PACKED. This was only their third year and it has outgrown it's current venue which is huge. I was also delighted to see that the convention had I would say 60% females ratio to 40% males of attendees. There were also a ton of female creators. Are we at a golden age of independant comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Graham was there selling it with his Prophet books. I'm going back tomorrow for some great panels, should I be picking up king city?
    Yes and anything else from Graham.
    Are we at a golden age of independant comics?
    And yes.
    BB

I just came home from the Vancouver Arts Festival and had a blast. A gigantic convention of nothing but Indy artists and self publishers. Came home with a bag full of Indy comics and prints but sadly didn't pick up King City. Graham was there selling it with his Prophet books. I'm going back tomorrow for some great panels, should I be picking up king city?

BTW just wanted to say one thing. The festival was PACKED. This was only their third year and it has outgrown it's current venue which is huge. I was also delighted to see that the convention had I would say 60% females ratio to 40% males of attendees. There were also a ton of female creators. Are we at a golden age of independant comics?
    Graham's work is very creative and he's the master of world building, you should at least try some of his stuff. Prophet and King city are great beginnings

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Graham's work is very creative and he's the master of world building, you should at least try some of his stuff. Prophet and King city are great beginnings
    Thanks for making this thread. I went back to the Comics Arts Festival and picked up Brandon Graham's King City, Multiple Warheads and Prophet. Amazing! Every page was breathtaking and the world is sucking me right in. This is exactly the kind of comic that I love. I'm going through the pages and I'm in awe right now. Don't know how I missed it the first time. Brandon Graham, Simon Roy and Farel Dalrymple were all there so when I bought Phophet vol 1 all three were nice enough to do a little sketch for me in Prophet without me asking. Also picked up a sketchbook and a cool print.

Also check out this cool little sketch from Graham for me. He took his time and signed and sketched on every book I bought from him. Really cool dude. I told him you guys here told me to go buy all his stuff. Looks like I will, his stuff is amazing! There were a few other fanboys there too waiting all gushing over his work and he took his time to chat with us for a while and did some great sketches.

Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 05-25-2014 at 05:45 PM.

OMG I'm in tears, so good. My new favorite artist/creator.

OMG I'm in tears, so good. My new favorite artist/creator.
    That's what the thread is for! Great news, hope you'll enjoy everything. And those sketches are friggin amazing, very nice.

Yeah, I saw Graham at ECCC and got a signed print of the cover to the program he had done.
    He was also nice enough to draw me this sketch for free:
    1979706_10100976104905130_1811277816_n.jpg
    Peace, Love, and Tacos