Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Best 90s X-Men comics?

What are some of the best X-Men comics from roughly '91 to '97 or so?

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNewb View Post
    What are some of the best X-Men comics from roughly '91 to '97 or so?
    I loved the Scott Lobdell run, I know it got a lot of stick but it was fantastic soap opera goodness.

All of Fabian Nicieza's run on X-Men. He's the second-best X-writer after Chris Claremont. It's top action-sci-fi-soap-opera of the kind that made the X-Men great.
    All of Fabian Nicieza and Tony Daniel's run on X-Force. It takes a little while to tune in to Daniel's (at the time) quirky art style, but once you do it's fantastic and Niciza's on top form.
    Peter David's X-Factor. Completely silly and very funny. David is very good at characterisation but also not afraid to waste a whole issue on setting up a joke that usually pays off.
    The first five or six issues of Generation X. Mainly for Chris Bachalo's stunning art and layouts (if you don't like modern Bachalo, don't worry. this was classic Bachalo who fell somewhere between Bill Sienkiewicz and David Aja in style).
    All of the Age of Apocalypse. Probably, all things considered, Marvel's best quality crossover event. Pretty much all the art and writing is good.

I can't remember how much of Alan Davis' Excalibur fell in the 1990s. I think Chris Claremont had left by then (boo!) but Alan Davis came back and did a bunch of issues that were pretty good fun.
    Last edited by genki_desu; 05-30-2015 at 04:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

The Further Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix is fantastic. The Davis and the Ellis Excalibur runs are amazingly good. PAD's X-Factor was fun. Larry Hama's Wolverine is divine, except for some editorial fait accompli situations, which he still makes the best of. Age of Apocalypse, Fatal Attractions, and and Bloodties were excellent crossovers/events.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Amazing Member

For me , it was the xtinction agenda , and thr birth of the second x-men title , my first comics I went and bought myself.
    I can actually remember walking into GOSH comics in London after a school trip getting the giant sized foldout edition of x-men one and the xtinction agenda back issues before it and my teacher going mental that I had wasted miney on purile books!

Well 25 years later , Im still here!

Lobdell's X-Men. Nicieza's X-Men/X-Force/Gambit. Kelly's Deadpool. Age of Apocalypse.
    Last edited by cc008; 06-02-2015 at 06:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not fond of Lobdell's X-Men at all, but I thought Generation X - his updated take on the New Mutants - was good. He's best at writing young characters and stories with some humour, not Edgy Extreme stuff.

Peter David's X-Factor (71-88) is the best X-Book of the era, with probably the best-regarded X-issue of the era, X-Factor # 87 (the one with Quicksilver's famous speech about why he's such a jerk). Its snarky humour and satire were the perfect antidote to an era when the core X-Books often took themselves too seriously.

Among the "serious" X-writers, I agree Nicieza was the best.

It was reverse at the time, but these days, I prefer Hama's Gen X to Lobdell's.

Dodson isn't as big a draw for me as Bachalo, but the stories were wilder, the emotions were in high gear, the magic was fun, and the racial stuff was well thought out. Much more well thought out, in my opinion, than what we usually got when x-comics decided to tackle non-mutant bigotry.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Fantastic Member Talkie Toaster's Avatar

Nicieza and Lobdell are what caused me to drop most X-titles back then, I found their efforts very mediocre.
    Hama's Wolverine run was brilliant though, and PADs X-Factor was fun even though I really hated Stromans art.
    Bah weep granah weep ninny bong

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I'm not fond of Lobdell's X-Men at all, but I thought Generation X - his updated take on the New Mutants - was good. He's best at writing young characters and stories with some humour, not Edgy Extreme stuff.

Peter David's X-Factor (71-88) is the best X-Book of the era, with probably the best-regarded X-issue of the era, X-Factor # 87 (the one with Quicksilver's famous speech about why he's such a jerk). Its snarky humour and satire were the perfect antidote to an era when the core X-Books often took themselves too seriously.

Among the "serious" X-writers, I agree Nicieza was the best.
    The entirety of Lobdell's Generation X run was fantastic, but that book took a serious nose dive when Hama took over writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    The entirety of Lobdell's Generation X run was fantastic, but that book took a serious nose dive when Hama took over writing.
    I remember feeling that way, at the time, even though in reality I only bought an issue here and there and kind of cared more about the existence of the characters/setting than the actual stories. These days, looking back, it's much easier for me to reread the Hama run. The Lobdell stuff, now, is kind of an effort for me. Glib moment, glib moment, heartfelt moment, glib moment, reminder they're all family, glib moment...

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I remember feeling that way, at the time, even though in reality I only bought an issue here and there and kind of cared more about the existence of the characters/setting than the actual stories. These days, looking back, it's much easier for me to reread the Hama run. The Lobdell stuff, now, is kind of an effort for me. Glib moment, glib moment, heartfelt moment, glib moment, reminder they're all family, glib moment...
    I haven't reread the Hama books, but I did with the initial Phalanx Covenant and early Gen X issues and still enjoyed them. From what I remember the Hama story lines were juvenile, I vaguely remember Artie and Leech becoming major characters and that the M storyline wasn't dealt with well. But this was a long time ago, I'm hoping Marvel continue with the Gen X trades they published last year.

Claremont and Lee's X-Men 1-3
    Alan Davis' Excalibur
    Warren Ellis' Excalibur
    The Seagle/Kelly X-men run showed a huge amount of promise. It's a shame it was cut short but what we did get was excellent

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I haven't reread the Hama books, but I did with the initial Phalanx Covenant and early Gen X issues and still enjoyed them. From what I remember the Hama story lines were juvenile, I vaguely remember Artie and Leech becoming major characters and that the M storyline wasn't dealt with well. But this was a long time ago, I'm hoping Marvel continue with the Gen X trades they published last year.
    I really like the first half of the Phalanx Covenant. And, the first dozen or so Lobdell issues of Gen X.

Artie and Leech barely even get mentioned in the Hama run, but maybe in Faerber's after? It was sillier in some ways, especially launching with the pookah and token story, magic trains and talking animals, but that's the same story Sync gets beaten for being black and Emma gets to sucker punch Banshee, taking her slowly out of the den mother phase she was in (and went right back to, I think, with the followup run). It was a mix of really silly (talking animals, a Snow White from space with - well - space dwarves), serious aspects like racism and trauma, and moving the characters out of some will-they-won't-they territory they'd been locked in. Paige and Chamber are forced to address their attraction. Jubilee finally gets props for being a real X-Man. Emma gets her sexy and her temper back. Banshee starts feeling his age and reconnects with his daughter.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Age of Apocalypse, hands down.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================