View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Blue Beetle?

Voters
307. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dan Garrett

6 1.95%
  • Ted Kord

165 53.75%
  • Jaime Reyes

136 44.30%
Page 118 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118
Results 1,756 to 1,767 of 1767

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Legacy is clearly not what motivated WB-AT&T to do something with the character. If anything the Spider-Man/Iron Man and daresay Venom like aspects of the character probably made it a much easier choice than anything legacy related. The people that want Ted in the movie should probably realize they are not the demographic WB is chasing, but rather I think the current millenial/post-millenial MCU crowd.
    Very true. I personally think the legacy heroes at DC is one of the things that makes their "pantheon" unique and more interesting than Marvel and will be sad (understatement) if Ted Kord or Dan Garrett aren't mentioned at all, even as people long dead in Jaime's world. However, I don't go to the movies or have the future purchasing power of Millenials, so why would WB care? I can see the appeal for WB in not having to bring up the other Beetles for a movie-going audience who doesn't even know there is a Blue Beetle in the first place, even if I think that their previous relationships to the scarab makes Jaime's story in the comics richer and could translate easily to the screen.

I hope that the movie can do Jaime justice and also incorporate Ted in some way that doesn't break this approaching-elderly fan's heart, but WB is not making movies for old fans, it is looking for new fans. I just hope they don't make Jaime all grim and dark. A big part of why I like him so much is that he is typically written as a really nice guy who loves his family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

I can't stand the it's one or the other mentality DC and by extension (not you) some fandom has fomented on both sides.
    Güicho -- I agree with you 100%.
    Last edited by sanderling; 12-02-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Or is he like Alejandro Inarritu, who hates Superhero films?
    LOL he will never live down that rant, although to be fair, he was specifically asked about what the interviewer described as "Hollywood's fixation with superheroes".
    Their words, that context maters, he commented on exactly what the interviewer already recognized as Hollywood absolutely fixating on superhero blockbusters, at the time his and other movies like his, struggled to get backing.
    It's in that context, as well as this was specifically during Birdman, a movie exploring obsession with huge Superhero genre and franchise movies that can shape the identity of not just the actor but how the world sees him. How it haunts one trying to reinvent himself outside that hyper-idealized vision.
    A public and fans that only wants to see that role, and the critics who would never accept him as anything but.
    This was suicide for the actor/creator. In that context the studios myopic fixation, can lead to what he called a "cultural genocide".
    So yeah he was approaching the "fixation" question from an interesting place. it was a little more complex than "he hates superhero films", although sad that's what it's been whittled down to.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I wonder if someone like Alfonso Cuaron would be interested in directing a Blue Beetle film? He seems to genuinely do a great job with younger characters and has made some really good films! ... One thing is for sure, there is plenty of talented Latino directors to choose from!

Yes there is a strong group of film makers who have garnered some attention.

L to R:
    Guillermo del Toro, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Emmanuel (El Chivo) Lubezki, Alfonso Cuarón, Jonás Cuarón

As far as who of those would make a superhero film, I think in the group we know Guillermo Del Toro would if they could sign him, maybe not Iñárritu or Alfonso Cuarón, but his son Jonás Cuarón who co-wrote Gravity and has worked on other films with his father, has been tapped to make a Zorro movie.
    Zorro is probably the closest thing to the original Latino superhero, if not arguably the first american "proto-superhero", at least he fits all the tropes.
    Although that film might be in some kind of production-purgatory, as we haven't heard anything in a while.
    I could see him taking on something like Blue Beetle.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status...728067/photo/1

King hints at Ted showing up in Heroes in Crisis.
    LOL considering where this made to be "shocking" event has taken allot of characters, not sure that's something to celebrate yet.

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status...728067/photo/1

King hints at Ted showing up in Heroes in Crisis.
    He's going to die isn't he?

LOL he will never live down that rant, although to be fair, he was specifically asked about what the interviewer described as "Hollywood's fixation with superheroes".
    Their words, that context maters, he commented on exactly what the interviewer already recognized as Hollywood absolutely fixating on superhero blockbusters, at the time his and other movies like his, struggled to get backing.
    It's in that context, as well as this was specifically during Birdman, a movie exploring obsession with huge Superhero genre and franchise movies that can shape the identity of not just the actor but how the world sees him. How it haunts one trying to reinvent himself outside that hyper-idealized vision.
    A public and fans that only wants to see that role, and the critics who would never accept him as anything but.
    This was suicide for the actor/creator. In that context the studios myopic fixation, can lead to what he called a "cultural genocide".
    So yeah he was approaching the "fixation" question from an interesting place. it was a little more complex than "he hates superhero films", although sad that's what it's been whittled down to.

Yes there is a strong group of film makers who have garnered some attention.

L to R:
    Guillermo del Toro, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Emmanuel (El Chivo) Lubezki, Alfonso Cuarón, Jonás Cuarón

As far as who of those would make a superhero film, I think in the group we know Guillermo Del Toro would if they could sign him, maybe not Iñárritu or Alfonso Cuarón, but his son Jonás Cuarón who co-wrote Gravity and has worked on other films with his father, has been tapped to make a Zorro movie.
    Zorro is probably the closest thing to the original Latino superhero, if not arguably the first american "proto-superhero", at least he fits all the tropes.
    Although that film might be in some kind of production-purgatory, as we haven't heard anything in a while.
    I could see him taking on something like Blue Beetle.
    Thanks for clarifying on what Inarritu said. Didn't really know the context, I just heard others say he didn't like superhero films.

And yea there are plenty of directors to choose from! I really hope this film actually happens and doesn't lose momentum like other projects that were in development at DC. Those with insiders at WB seem to think it stands a good chance of happening, so that's encouraging.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Astonishing Member

Something I've been considering for a while. What if instead of being a Scarab host, Jaime was depicted as being a human superhero just like Ted. We don't have a lot of human heroes of color in the DC universe, let alone ones as smart as Ted or Bruce.
    I think I can see where you come from when you bring this up. There is a level of perception that would be filled if we had more Superheroes of color that didn't have otherworldly power at their fingertips (though sometimes, genius tech inventions can end up falling in that spectrum anyway). That said, the Scarab enveloping Jaime Reyes to become Blue Beetle and Jaime's journey with bonding with and at times controlling the Scarab is, if I may be so forward to say this, one of the biggest charms about his concept. And in doing so, we see that he is very much a human superhero of color, no matter the form of the tools he has at his disposal for superheroing.

The whole Iron Man/Symbiote/Power Ranger/Sentai/Kamen Rider/Magical Boy aspect is, quite likely, a lot more alluring from a marketing perspective, too.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    ok. if, a big if, ted is used:

- ted should not be allowed to upstage jaime in any form, but further the focus on him.
    - it should not be a stealth ted kord movie.
    - avoid the grievous error of putting ted over jaime for the sake of the movie, or risk the possibility of ruining jaime or the franchise.

got it. i've considered it. thanks.
    While I did quote you, it was because you're post brought what it did to my attention. I didn't mean to single you out or put you on the spot or anything. my bad.

I was just talking in general/to the invisible movie makers who I know can't hear me/to the air.

Yeah I absolutely recognize and sympathies with your concern, and how in the wrong hands that could easily come off the wrong way.
    And I'd be more than fine with a Blue Beetle movie being just about Jaime, his unique origin as solo concept and character I believe is more than strong enough to carry a movie alone. Especially with an emphasis on his strong family as mentors. This is something I'd absolutely love to see them develop.

That said as far as making him a Legacy character, I think they can have both, again just want to emphasize two movies that pulled off the legacy aspect really well, and were fair to and developed both generations of characters: Mask of Zorro and Ant-Man.
    If a Blue Beetle film allowed a similar dynamic, as far as some ethnic undermining of the character, there is nothing in those models or dynamic that would specifically compromise Jaime's character as far as being latino, unless it's the viewer bringing that baggage or insecurity to the character.
    Well, all that can be done is hope for the best.

This movie really does have so much potential to click so many of the right buttons! And fun buttons! And awesome buttons, too!
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 12-09-2018 at 11:46 PM.

My top choices for Jaime Reyes. I think both of them would do a phenomenal job at bringing Blue Beetle to life for different reasons.

On the left is Diego Tinoco from Netflix's On The Block and on the right is Xolo Maridueña from YouTube Premium's Cobra Kai. Diego is of Mexican/Colombian descent while Xolo is of Mexican/Ecudorian/Cuban descent so both are fully Latino. What do you guys think?
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

bros before heroes! wouldn't that be an awesome title for a mini series?

Ultimate Member

Something I've been considering for a while. What if instead of being a Scarab host, Jaime was depicted as being a human superhero just like Ted. We don't have a lot of human heroes of color in the DC universe, let alone ones as smart as Ted or Bruce.
    That falls on WRITERS & EDITORS to do their jobs.

Interesting thing in Black Panther not too long ago. He had an encounter with Thunderball (Wrecking Crew) and in that issue-Panther mentions how smart the man was and that he was a member of the group who helped create the Hulk.
    That is one of the few times someone acknowledge his intelligence.

I mean if you look through various books-folks forget how smart Steel (both), Prodigy, Static, Panther (before his sister), Jason and others are. Because most of the time someone like BRUCE overshadows them along with Ted in books.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

bros before heroes! wouldn't that be an awesome title for a mini series?
    "Bros before heroes," y'know, I get what they're going for here but I don't think Ted would actually say that...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That falls on WRITERS & EDITORS to do their jobs.

Interesting thing in Black Panther not too long ago. He had an encounter with Thunderball (Wrecking Crew) and in that issue-Panther mentions how smart the man was and that he was a member of the group who helped create the Hulk.
    That is one of the few times someone acknowledge his intelligence.

I mean if you look through various books-folks forget how smart Steel (both), Prodigy, Static, Panther (before his sister), Jason and others are. Because most of the time someone like BRUCE overshadows them along with Ted in books.
    I absolutely loved that issue of Black Panther! Coates actually going the distance of doing that, not to mention characterizing T'challa as someone who would lift up a fellow Black the way he did, was beautiful. I honestly never even knew that Thunderball had a name, Dr. Eliot Franklin, or that he was a genius worthy of far more than the typical brute I've only ever seen him written has. That was amazing.

To bring it on home, and I think I mentioned something on this before, but while genius POC heroes that don't have or rely on explicit superpowers are few and far between in the DC Universe (Mr. Terrific is really the only one, and his scope is as limited as his presence, so he doesn't get to "flex" those brain muscles of his or get shown passing down his smarts and sage insights to the younger gen and others in general), Jaime's circumstance with the Scarab is unique enough that I don't feel removing or downplaying that aspect would be worth it.