View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Blue Beetle?

Voters
307. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dan Garrett

6 1.95%
  • Ted Kord

165 53.75%
  • Jaime Reyes

136 44.30%
Page 1 of 118 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Blue Beetle Appreciation!!

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEBUT: August 1939
    1ST APPEARANCE: Mystery Men Comics #1
    CREATED BY: Charles Nicholas
    ON-GOING SERIES: 73 issues
    Blue Beetle Vol 1 #1-42 & #44-60
    Blue Beetle Vol 2 #18-21
    Blue Beetle Vol 3 #1-5
    Blue Beetle Vol 4 #50-54

DEBUT: November 1966
    1ST APPEARANCE: Captain Atom #83
    CREATED BY: Steve Ditko
    ON-GOING SERIES: 29 issues
    Blue Beetle Vol 5 #1-5
    Blue Beetle Vol 6 #1-24

DEBUT: February 2006
    1ST APPEARANCE: Infinite Crisis #3
    CREATED BY: Keith Giffen; John Rogers; Cully Hammer
    ON-GOING SERIES: 72 issues
    Blue Beetle Vol 7 #1-36
    Blue Beetle Vol 8 #0-16
    Blue Beetle Vol 9 Rebirth-18
    Last edited by El_Gato; 03-05-2018 at 04:13 AM.

Am I the only Blue Beetle fan on this forum?

Edited to include this collage of Jaime Reyes! Comic, cartoon, live action, video games
    Last edited by El_Gato; 08-18-2016 at 11:44 AM. Reason: new picture.

Jamie is one of my favorite characters! As a Mexi American myself I was absolutely thrilled when I heard the new Blue Beetle would by Latino. Not only that, but his costume/armor design is awesome. In interviews the characters co-creator Keith Giffen has said that the characters ethnicity shouldn't be the focus of the stories.
    "Blue Beetle was a deliberate attempt to do an ethnic character that did not traffic in his ethnicity," Giffen said. "It wasn't about being Mexican-American. It was about being Jaime."
    This made me love the character even more. He's a regular teenager who happens to be Hispanic. Sadly the Young Justice creators and Tony Bedard decided to make Jaime talk like a stereotype. I cringed everytime he'd say something like "ay dios mia ese!" or "super vatos".
    I grew up around a number of Latinos and I've never heard anyone talk like that. Hopefully when/if Jaime returns he'll be more like his was in the Giffen/Rogers series. A witty, slightly self deprecating, average teen with a great family to support him.

Incredible Member

Ted Kord is my favorite, but I also like Jaime as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister BoMan View Post
    The same here. I adored Ted, and I AM glad to see him alive in the nu52 and would love him to be a hero again. However, I sure hope they don't kill off Jaime. Frankly, both characters, when written properly, are rich with fun and heart.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

I think Jamie is cool, but my Blue Beetle is Ted Kord! I LOVE Ted Kord. He and Booster Gold made for some great moments in comics.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Absolutely adore them both. Long Live the Blue Beetles! Ted is the best one tho IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    The same here. I adored Ted, and I AM glad to see him alive in the nu52 and would love him to be a hero again. However, I sure hope they don't kill off Jaime. Frankly, both characters, when written properly, are rich with fun and heart.
    I was really hoping when Geoff Johns announced Ted's return that he would be writing a Blue Beetle book and finally made one that sold well, but instead he's writing Superman again!. After what's been done to Wally, showing that DC with the New 52 is willing to change every aspect of a character except for there name, I fear greatly for what Ted in the New 52 will be like.

Really hoping Jaime gets put on the New Teen Titans roster sooner of later.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I love Jaime, and his supporting cast. Never had an iota of interest in Ted Kord. I feel like nobody did, until he died.

BANNED

New52 Ted Kord sucks

So pointless, why even bring him back, especially as a kid? It feels like a slap to his legacy, Jamie Reyer.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister BoMan View Post
    This exactly.

I love both characters but I grew up reading Ted Kord in JLI and, though John Rogers' Blue Beetle was an amazing series, I've never gotten the feeling that others writers have quite the same grip on Jaime as he did. Still, Jaime should be a lesson to DC how to introduce new minority characters into the DCU. I never liked Ted's death and I would have loved to see the two characters work together in a mentor/ student fashion but at least Jaime felt like a totally new, fresh and fully formed character that neither crapped all over the Blue Beetle legacy (Rogers actually ensured that it was quite the opposite), nor felt like little more than PC pandering.

Regardless of all that though, suffice it to say that I am a huge fan of both Blue Beetles (I'm largely unfamiliar with any Dan Garrett stories) AND those first twenty five issues of Rogers' (and Giffen's) Jaime Reyes series were some of the best superhero comics of the past decade. It's just a pity that the whole Blue Beetle legacy is yet another sad victim of the New 52.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I love Jaime, and his supporting cast. Never had an iota of interest in Ted Kord. I feel like nobody did, until he died.
    I thought his solo-book was fun.

I really like Jamie as well and looked forward to his DCnU 52 title. However, like many others I was very disappointed with it. I hope that Jamie is used again in the DCnU and doesn't get forgotten. I think he would be a nice addition to the Teen Titans.

I would love for DC to get its teen heroes back on track and really build their niche within the DCnU 52 universe. I think Jamie can really lead this charge as he has a nice mythos in his own right. I feel like Marvel's new Nova series works in a way that Blue Beetle should have worked. I think DC really dropped the ball with Blue Beetle which I find especially sad considering how well written his previous series was and I thought his animated/tv appearances were all done well too.
    Last edited by nj06; 05-18-2015 at 03:50 PM.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Neowing View Post
    New52 Ted Kord sucks

So pointless, why even bring him back, especially as a kid? It feels like a slap to his legacy, Jamie Reyer.
    WOW! Didn't even know he was back? Well in light of recent events it could of been a lot worse, as far we know. Has he said anything yet?