Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Default Star Wars: The Argument for Canon

    Hey All!
    I wasn't sure where to put this, so I figured that since Star Wars was everything media, that I would put it here. I wrote a small post about some Star Wars stories that should be kept canon once the new movie comes out. They all take place before the original trilogy takes place. Check it out, and let me know what you think, or if you think other stories should be kept canon as well.

    Star Wars: The Argument for Canon

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Random_Nerd View Post
    Hey All!
    I wasn't sure where to put this, so I figured that since Star Wars was everything media, that I would put it here. I wrote a small post about some Star Wars stories that should be kept canon once the new movie comes out. They all take place before the original trilogy takes place. Check it out, and let me know what you think, or if you think other stories should be kept canon as well.

    Star Wars: The Argument for Canon
    Only onscreen canon is the main canon. That means only the Star Wars movies and TV shows.

    Games, Comics, and Novels of the expanded universe are non canon to begin with.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    Only onscreen canon is the main canon. That means only the Star Wars movies and TV shows.

    Games, Comics, and Novels of the expanded universe are non canon to begin with.
    No your wrong. Everything that comes out now IS cannon. So the new Marvel comics, the new novels, and the new games are all over seen by the cannon office and are all offically part of new cannon.

  4. #4
    Incredible Member darthjoker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    Only onscreen canon is the main canon. That means only the Star Wars movies and TV shows.

    Games, Comics, and Novels of the expanded universe are non canon to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    No your wrong. Everything that comes out now IS cannon. So the new Marvel comics, the new novels, and the new games are all over seen by the cannon office and are all offically part of new cannon.
    Both answers are correct. Disney took out ALL EU material released before Feb.2014 but said that ALL new material released from that date forward is the new cannon.
    The only book that is uncertain about it's continuity is the new Tarkin book. Since it was written before feb.2014 but released after feb.2014

  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    No your wrong. Everything that comes out now IS cannon. So the new Marvel comics, the new novels, and the new games are all over seen by the cannon office and are all offically part of new cannon.
    Expanded universe stuff such as games, novels and comics will never be canon, those never connect well no matter how hard those strangers to the franchise try. comics and novels of Star Wars are just like published fanfics thats it.

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    Expanded universe stuff such as games, novels and comics will never be canon, those never connect well no matter how hard those strangers to the franchise try. comics and novels of Star Wars are just like published fanfics thats it.
    Again you can scream the sky is bright purple if you want but that does not make it fact. The FACT is those things now are cannon period. To say it isn't is just being foolish. The people making the new movies and tv shows say it is cannon so it is cannon.

    As for Tarkin it is cannon.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,745

    Default

    Thing about Darth Revan, there are a few problems with that that kind of hurt it being part of the canon of the six films/Clone Wars/Rebels/The new Marvel/Del Rey stuff.


    -KOTOR around the same era as the Tales of the Jedi, and incorporates several story links to it (Although with some original stuff mixed in). Tales of the Jedi's rendition of the Jedi and SIth is very different from what's seen in Episode I-III, although I suppose one can make the argument that there were several changes in the thousands of years. However that brings me to the next point:


    -AOTC and ROTS makes it clear in dialogue that the Galactic Republic is only reallly about a millenia old, formed after a war with the Sith when they were overthrown. It's stated there hasn't been a war since it's formation, which obviously contradicts all those Jedi/Sith wars that were supposed to happen. Although, the Darth Bane novel they do 'reform' the Republic after the last Sith War, but this is really a retcon to try to explain the discrepancy.


    Of course, regarding the canon argument, there has been some stuff that has slipped through to the new canon. Quinlan Vos, Asajj Ventress and Aayla Secura were in the films and Clone Wars, and they originated in the comics. Some of the designs, such as the Republic Commando armor, Juggernaught/Turbo Tank and Z-95, have also been incorporated into the Clone Wars (Although some have their roots in the concept art for the films). EU planets concepts such as the Nightsisters, Mandalore etc. also made their way into Clone Wars, although heavily modified.


    -Obi-Wan's "Thousand of generations" line is kind of like Han's "Parsec" line, people took it too literally so they made the timeline go back to 25,000 before the first film, when Lucas intended it to be just 1,000.

  8. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Again you can scream the sky is bright purple if you want but that does not make it fact. The FACT is those things now are cannon period. To say it isn't is just being foolish. The people making the new movies and tv shows say it is cannon so it is cannon.

    As for Tarkin it is cannon.
    Dark Horse has tried making Alien comics canon but they failed.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,745

    Default

    Yeah, such stuff does sort of get messed up like that sometimes. The attempt to redo the Mark Verheiden stuff fit in with ALIEN 3 (The comics mainly dealt with the fate of Newt, Hicks, and eventually, Ripley after ALIENS) by changing some names (Hicks=Wilks, Newt=Billie) and places (Archeron/Hadley's Hope/LV-426=Rim) in the reprints was done pretty poorly IMO, although the novel adaptations, which didn't have to re-edit things, made things work a lot better. Even the follow ups, which didn't feature the three main characters, depended heavily on the events of Mark's stuff, and ALIEN RESSURECTION made no reference to those events. Still, they're a much better sequels than what we've got since 1986.

    Are the untouched versions of those comics available outside of the now out of print comics and TPBs?

    There's also other examples of this: DC's first Star Trek comic had Kirk command the Excelsior after Star Trek III, but when Trek IV came out with the characters in the same place they were at the end of III, they became kind of out of place, although they did try to sort of make it fit (by having Spock lose his memory again and the crew forced to run back to Vulcan). Jurassic Park comics brought back Muldoon, the survivors from the first movie sort of became a team, and had Raptors on the mainland etc.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-31-2015 at 06:09 PM.

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,485

    Default

    Knights of the Old Republic should be canon. It's not like it will contradict with new films. Unless they do dive into ancient Sith and Jedi (which I doubt they will).

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    Dark Horse has tried making Alien comics canon but they failed.
    Dark Horse never controlled the Alien Franchise. Disney DOES actually control the Star Wars franchise, and they have emphatically stated that the novels, comics, games (in terms of storyline, not necessarily game mechanics) etc... published moving forward are in fact canon for the Star Wars franchise.

    Certainly, they could change their mind down the road, but as of right now, that's the official statement, and therefore your own is incorrect unless it is being applied to the previously-existing EU material that has been shifted to the "Star Wars Legends" sub-brand.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    Knights of the Old Republic should be canon. It's not like it will contradict with new films. Unless they do dive into ancient Sith and Jedi (which I doubt they will).
    KOTOR will not be canonized. This was basically confirmed at Celebration Anaheim, when they said that SWTOR (which completely derives from it) will not be canon despite continuing to operate for the forseeable future, with the official reasoning of "We want the folks making that game to have maximum freedom, so we're not constraining them to the new canon."

    There are, however, still lingering rumors that Bioware may be working on another single-player Star Wars RPG. KOTOR redux for the new canon? Something else? Time will tell (if the rumor has any validity at all).

    The Story Group (the folks in charge of the new canon) did confirm that some popular "old EU" Characters will be reappearing in the new canon, though they didn't name names. Given how closely Kylo Ren seems to resemble Revan (cosmetically)...we may yet get some kind of link there.

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jmacq1 View Post
    Dark Horse never controlled the Alien Franchise. Disney DOES actually control the Star Wars franchise, and they have emphatically stated that the novels, comics, games (in terms of storyline, not necessarily game mechanics) etc... published moving forward are in fact canon for the Star Wars franchise.

    Certainly, they could change their mind down the road, but as of right now, that's the official statement, and therefore your own is incorrect unless it is being applied to the previously-existing EU material that has been shifted to the "Star Wars Legends" sub-brand.
    Non-Sense, Even though Disney claims the recent expanded universe games, comics, and novels are canon, that will not work because no people involved with the TV shows or movies follow those expanded universe Ideas, those are nothing more then published fanfics.

    Fox claimed the game Aliens: Colonial Marines was canon but that was BS sinse it was not canon to the movies to begin with.

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member Hiromi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,526

    Default

    So even though Disney actually owns the canon and thus gets to dictate what is included in said canon it's still not canon because... you say so?

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    Non-Sense, Even though Disney claims the recent expanded universe games, comics, and novels are canon, that will not work because no people involved with the TV shows or movies follow those expanded universe Ideas, those are nothing more then published fanfics.
    Again your talking out your ass. EVERYTHING that is connected to Star Wars now runs through the story group office and they have the final say on what does and does not get put out. Hell one of the new novels is a direct prequel to the Rebels TV show that is on the air now and so is the Kanan comic series. If it does not fit in with the new overall plans they have for the property it does not get put out period. That makes it all cannon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •