All-New Member Clueless in Seattle's Avatar

Question Superman Wears Kryptonite Collar in 1950s Comic Book?

I'm trying to find an image of Superman wearing a kryptonite collar.

Or better yet, the comic book in which those images of Superman wearing a kryptonite collar appeared.

Back in the 1950s I bought a comic book featuring Superman on the cover. The story began with Clark Kent reading an article in the Daily Planet about a scientist who reported curing allergies by subjecting allergy patients to a constant high exposure to the allergens that triggered their symptoms.

Clark speculated that perhaps such a therapy could cure him of his "allergy" to kryptonite.

So, off into space he flew, and conveniently happened upon a small baseball sized asteroid of pure kyrptonite. He acted quickly, before it had time to weaken him, and kneaded it in his hands into a soft, malleable, clay-like consistency and then molded it into a collar around his neck.

As soon as he had the collar around his neck though, he became so weak he no longer had the strength to tear it off. And then, he became aware of some calamity about to befall the earth, a calamity which would require all of his super powers to avert.

Has anyone compiled a searchable index of Superman comics story lines that I could use to track down this comic?

Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless"

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Hey Will. That's the issue you're looking for. Never read it myself, but really interested in doing so now. That story is featured in the "Becomes An Alien's Pet" segment.

"Superman fashions a kryptonite collar in an attempt to gain some immunity but is captured by aliens and kept as a pet until he can free himself of the collar."

Edit: It looks like that's a reprint of the story that was originally printed in Superman #84 (1953), titled "A Doghouse For Superman".

Last edited by AwesomeUsername; 05-31-2015 at 11:01 PM.

All-New Member Clueless in Seattle's Avatar

Hey, Thanks AwesomeUsername!

That must be the story I'm looking for. The date of the comic book is spot on. I was pretty sure that it was around 1953 that I bought that comic. But I apparently remembered the story all wrong. I had completely forgotten about Superman being kept as a pet. I thought the story line was about how Superman had to save the earth from a cataclysm in spite of being handicapped by his kryptonite collar.

So, how were you able to track down that story so quickly?

Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless"

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

I'm glad I could help. All I did was actually just google "Superman kryptonite collar aliens" or something along those lines and after digging around for a bit, I got re-directed to the Grand Comics Database website. Seems like an interesting story for sure. I'm gonna have to track down that issue myself too.