Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Would you move to an alien planet if given the chance?

So, let's say our technology was farther along. And we had found a alien planet which could support human life. Overpopulation will eventually become a big problem, so obviously finding another life supporting planet would be a big find. So, the US and NASA decide to form a colony on this planet. People with certain skill would be needed, engineers, military personnel for security, scientists, many others. But because of the population problem they decide to also send a group of civilians. Would you volunteer to go and join the colony?

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Suit me up, Uncle Alfred.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Incredible Member

Just as long as you don't create artificial humans to do the work. Because...well......

Is it the planet that's packed with tall, green, scantily clad women & 60's go-go boots with new wave hair cuts? Yes, & a 1 way ticket is just fine.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Is there an age limit for this trip? At 56, I might be a tad too old to boldly go where no one has gone before.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Is there an age limit for this trip? At 56, I might be a tad too old to boldly go where no one has gone before.
    Actually moving to this planet would reverse the aging process to 25 and keep you at that age forever. Regardless of whether you left to explore the rest of the universe. How does that work for you?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    So, let's say our technology was farther along. And we had found a alien planet which could support human life. Overpopulation will eventually become a big problem, so obviously finding another life supporting planet would be a big find. So, the US and NASA decide to form a colony on this planet. People with certain skill would be needed, engineers, military personnel for security, scientists, many others. But because of the population problem they decide to also send a group of civilians. Would you volunteer to go and join the colony?
    Let's say you had full and complete access to this "farther along" tech without having to share it with anyone. It should already include enough A.I. tech to allow you to operate all systems by yourself. Why would you bring anyone else along? Bringing all the extra baggage is an outgrowth of old school thinking and the reason why we are in the trouble we are in. Dump civilization and head for the stars! Rocket Raccoon has nothing on me.
    Last edited by alton; 06-10-2015 at 04:22 PM.

I'll need three tickets. Neeeeeeeeeever coming back.

Exosquad!! I forgot how good that show was. Nostalgia rising; sudden urge to rewatch.

On Topic: If we're colonizing with E-frames, then count me in.

Amazing Member

Actually with overpopulation going the way it is, it'll either be the rich and powerful that'll go or the poor lower classes.

If it was going to be a utopian paradise, then sure I would but not to go to some industrial hellhole.

Spectacular Member

No matter what the race is, human or alien, the strongest kind will rule the other.
    So, I better hope I am on the alien planet as a ruler, not a slave... :P
    Kudos to Maureen O'Connell of Scholastic for getting us the Harry Potter series.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    If we are able to travel at light speed, we might have extended the average human lifespan.
    So cheers mate.
    Kudos to Maureen O'Connell of Scholastic for getting us the Harry Potter series.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Actually moving to this planet would reverse the aging process to 25 and keep you at that age forever. Regardless of whether you left to explore the rest of the universe. How does that work for you?
    Alrighty then! Sign me up!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    So I'm not one of the engineers or scientists, etc.; I'm just a regular colonist. Which probably means that I'm going to be spending the rest of my life doing farming. (Primitive, unsuccessful farming at that; we don't know in advance what Earth plants will grow there, so we'll probably have one failed crop after another.)

I don't know; colonizing another planet is one of those things that seems really romantic and awesome, but turns out to be a lifetime of grueling work with little reward when you get down to it.

õ
    And I could do that here!

As long as it didn't turn into an LV-426 situation, yeah I might do it.