Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why Wouldn't Grayson Re-assume the Bat-Mantle?

Apologies if this question has been raised already, but I'm curious if anyone else has been wondering why doesn't Dick pick up the cowl again following Bruce's disappearance. Yes, he's supposed to be dead but a) with Bruce being the major reason he was "dead", with Bruce gone why bother? If the answer is to complete Bruce's mission then I shall point out that b) the mission itself seems irrelevant since Spryal has different objectives anyway.

He's ostensibly Batman 2.0, when Bruce is off the table he steps in. He did it last time, what's different with this instance? I know its not the direction DC wants to take with DG but in universe it makes sense right?

Nothing about what the DC has done with Dick Grayson makes sense in universe.

How is that Nightwing was unmasked and nobody had questions for Bruce Wayne?
    How is that nobody cares he is dead?
    How is that Damian hasn't say something?
    Does Damian even knows Dcik is "dead"?

Why doesn't he takes the mantle again? Well is not what Snyder wants.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Apologies if this question has been raised already, but I'm curious if anyone else has been wondering why doesn't Dick pick up the cowl again following Bruce's disappearance. Yes, he's supposed to be dead but a) with Bruce being the major reason he was "dead", with Bruce gone why bother? If the answer is to complete Bruce's mission then I shall point out that b) the mission itself seems irrelevant since Spryal has different objectives anyway.

He's ostensibly Batman 2.0, when Bruce is off the table he steps in. He did it last time, what's different with this instance? I know its not the direction DC wants to take with DG but in universe it makes sense right?
    I doubt Spyral would just let him go so he can go play superheroes in Gotham. Especially when the twist of season 1 was that the whole "evil plot" was just a way to get him to work for them.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

He's busy at the moment. Plus there's Dick˛ to give us our Dickbats fix.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 05-31-2015 at 04:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

Because "a bit like Batman" is a poisonous characterisation of Dick, and we had a memorable run not long ago where Dick took on the mantle that managed to be both a classic run and also produced a genuine classic outside of it.

But those are Real World reasons. I hope they address it in-universe though - although speaking personally, "I don't want to" or "What I'm doing is more important" would suffice for me.

The real reason is that Grayson is doing too well to be cancelled. In-universe, it'll be addressed in Grayson #9.

Fantastic Member

Honestly why does the world even think grayson is dead? The only people to see it were Catwoman, Bruce, Lex and Bizzaro. And they all saw him immediately revived.
    Why is it a bright idea for someone who had their face broadcast across the world become a secret agent? even if they think he's dead, he'll still be recognized.

As for him being Batman, with everyone thinking Grayson is dead, its the perfect secret identity.

BANNED

I wish he'd take up the mantle again. I really don't like where there taking the character post-Convergence.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    The real reason is that Grayson is doing too well to be cancelled. In-universe, it'll be addressed in Grayson #9.
    Nightwing was doing just as good (if not a little better) and it was cancelled all the same because Johns wanted the character in a chair for 6 issues.

They don't want Dick as Batman because they want something new.
    Last edited by Rakiduam; 05-31-2015 at 08:08 PM.

DC seems happier with Grayson than they were with Nightwing. And as the reader Grayson is leaps and bounds better than the previous Nightwing series was.

Having Dick take over as Batman this soon, after they did that not too long ago, does nothing for Dick or Batman. Plus with that run being as good as it was, it'd be hard for them to live up to that run.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 05-31-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    Honestly why does the world even think grayson is dead? The only people to see it were Catwoman, Bruce, Lex and Bizzaro. And they all saw him immediately revived.
    Why is it a bright idea for someone who had their face broadcast across the world become a secret agent? even if they think he's dead, he'll still be recognized.
    His face is obscured with a hypnotic implant. Everyone either forgets they ever saw him, or just sees a swirly face.

Isn't he still supposed to be dead to the world? Do any of his old allies know he's still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    I wish he'd take up the mantle again. I really don't like where there taking the character post-Convergence.
    What makes you say you're not a fan of the direction they're taking Dick post convergence? All I've heard for post convergence news is ; Helena's the boss, Dick and Tiger are partners, and Dick slowly makes his was back into the DCU.

Is it his returning into the DCU? Just curious if I've missed some news.......

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    DC seems happier with Grayson than they were with Nightwing. And as the reader Grayson is leaps and bounds better than the previous Nightwing series was.

Having Dick take over as Batman this soon, after they did that not too long ago, does nothing for Dick or Batman. Plus with that run being as good as it was, it'd be hard for them to live up to that run.
    Well said. You already have another Dick being Batman. Dick has been there done that and he was great at it, but Grayson is an amazing book. I love Dick being a spy and the book hasn't even reached double digits yet. I want Dick to stay a spy as long as possible. It's a world that he can explore and become a big part of.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

@Coal Tiger: I don't believe that they are aware that he is alive as yet. Now I'm pretty sure that if Grayson had been a failure we would be seeing Dick under the cowl again. Bruce being dead did happen to coincide with the conclusion of Dick mission with Spiral and I could see them using that as an easy way to slip him back into a costume and back in Gotham. But Grayson was not a failure so he's not really available for the job. I am also sure Seeley and King will explain why he doesn't take up the cowl once more.

My thoughts on it are this. There are clearly some major changes going on in Gotham right now dealing with the fallout of both Eternal and Endgame so it may not be an option for Dick to claim the mantle even assuming that Spiral allowed him to do so. They appear to be angling for a government sanctioned and controlled Batman after that fiasco with all the Bat bunkers being discovered and destroyed so it actually makes more sense for Gordon to take the mantle for now. He can work within the laws among other things even if he's also working behind the scenes to solve that problem and I'm not sure a former vigilante whose also a former protégé of Batman's would be the type of person they would allow to be Batman. I'm not even sure that anyone connected to the Bat wouldn't be arrested for conspiring with the Bat at this point. That could be why GordonBats is in Burnside. Maybe he's been asked to persuade Batgirl to hang up her cape as she seems to be the only Bat protégé still visibly going about the mission. It also explains the gang of Robins that are running rampant in Gotham among other things and their hidden mentor whose identity could be several people (Tim, Julia, Harper, Bruce, possible Dick). It honestly feels to me like Gotham is not going to be a friendly place for Bats for the foreseeable future at any rate so it could actually be dangerous for Dick to take up the mantle. While I know that danger is no object to him he might have received some sort of final orders from Bruce not to come to Gotham or take up the mantle again.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 05-31-2015 at 09:48 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG