Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Whoa, Saga was actually good this month. Keep this direction going and maybe it'll regain its former glory.
    Eh I thought it was just fair. Definitely a step down from last month, which was easily the best issue in the current arc.

I really hope this arc is an anomaly and BKV picks things up soon. I don't really find the Revolution interesting, which makes them the first new characters in the book I can say that for. Some aspects of the writing (the "shocking" first and last pages, sexually edgy dialogue, etc) are starting to get a little old too. That stuff is great in small doses but it's feeling predictable at this point which is kind of the opposite of how that should be.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    Eh I thought it was just fair. Definitely a step down from last month, which was easily the best issue in the current arc.

I really hope this arc is an anomaly and BKV picks things up soon. I don't really find the Revolution interesting, which makes them the first new characters in the book I can say that for. Some aspects of the writing (the "shocking" first and last pages, sexually edgy dialogue, etc) are starting to get a little old too. That stuff is great in small doses but it's feeling predictable at this point which is kind of the opposite of how that should be.
    I agree about #27 being better than the latest issue.

And while I still think that Saga is great, I have to say the revolutionaries haven't been doing much for me.

Spectacular Member

I recently jumped into Saga and got all caught up, and I can honestly say it's my favorite book out right now and one of the best stories I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson3191 View Post
    I recently jumped into Saga and got all caught up, and I can honestly say it's my favorite book out right now and one of the best stories I've ever read.
    While the series has fallen off a bit for me, it's still such a character rich, great looking book. Glad to hear you're on board and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Samson3191 View Post
    It seems like we who are still head over heels in love with this series are a dying breed. lol. Nice to hear this.

I agree with he people that are saying the sex-position is becoming old hat. I used to be completely in love with Saga, but this arc has felt incredibly dull for me. The last arc picked up towards the end but it just feels like the storyline isn't progressing that much... I will always pick it up though as BKV was the one who made me truly appreciate comics.

Amazing Member

I agree the current arc has been meh to me so far. I think that BKV maybe juggling a little too much writing -wise and Saga is suffering for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison4Life View Post
    I agree the current arc has been meh to me so far. I think that BKV maybe juggling a little too much writing -wise and Saga is suffering for it.
    Yea this is what I am thinking. He's done with the Private Eye but has said something new will be coming in Fall this year. This means he has the Panel Syndicate Project, We Stand on Guard, Paper Girls and Saga all going at once, or he did have it all going at once depending how many issues he is ahead with Saga and We Stand on Guard (considering it's only a mini).

Staples is also under quite a lot of pressure to have a successful re-launch of the Archie comics so this all might be amalgamating into Saga being the one that suffers.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seedzington View Post

Amazing.
    One of the many moments I laughed out loud. I still have a lot of catching up to do though... I've only read the first two trades. So far though Saga is outstanding.

I thought the first twelve issues of Saga were some of the best comics I've ever read. They stand alongside stuff like All-Star Superman and Sandman at the absolute peak of my collection, works that I think represent the best of what comics and really entertainment in general has to offer. They were thrilling and trailblazing and combined the best of every major genre. The gap between Saga and the next best comic out there was humongous.

The next twelve issues of Saga I thought really changed course for the series. BKV really toned down the action and transitioned the series into one where the smaller and quieter moments shine the most. The book was less exciting but arguably even more emotionally fulfilling, because the character moments were so strong.

The last arc though, the character moments are not as memorable or inspired, and a lot of the motifs are kind of wearing thin. It often feels like BKV is following a template for each issue and kind of checking off all the boxes (graphic sexual comedy opening page, check in on the various characters getting deeper in trouble, tearjerker Hazel narration, graphic splash page, up the stakes a bit, shocking final page) instead of really doing anything new. And I think without a doubt Staples' art has looked more rushed and in places a bit half-assed compared to previous arcs. Given both creators' workloads I agree that it seems apparent that Saga is the book that is suffering, which I think is the wrong call. BKV can put out his miniseries any time and no one is going to care about that Archie reboot a few months after Staples leaves the series. They should be putting 100% of their effort in the series that they completely own, that has already built up a remarkable standard of quality and feels ripe to be the next gigantic entertainment franchise.
    Last edited by El Sombrero; 05-21-2015 at 07:51 AM.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Finally on board Saga after finishing Ex Machina. This book really is as great as it was made out to be! It makes me wanna fall in love again, and possibly make some babies...BKV and FS are a creative team after my now healing, blackened little heart.

I still enjoy Saga just as much as when I started. I always am afraid to open the cover and see Page #1. I can't name another comic that does that. If it was a Marvel comic, the first 3 pages would be ads.

I have been enjoying Saga. 3 tpbs in and the fantasy, comedy, and romance has been fun to read.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Incredible Member

Issue #29 was nuts. Two spoilers:
    characters are definitely dead
    end of spoilers and two spoilers:
    characters are maybe dead
    end of spoilers.

Spectacular Member

"Oh.

Oh gosh."

Well this one was a doozy.