Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Post SW's Xmen presence, focus and premises?

One discussion that seems to be a favorite and constant around different forums and boards is that of people's different ideas of the Xmen teams. There also seems to be a clamor for clear direction for the x-books. I know there are a few holding out hope that Secret Wars will at least streamline some things get things back to having some direction instead of the aimlessness that many of us see happening now. With that in mind I wanted to create this thread to see whether people felt there was a need to streamline or trim down the number of books and teams or whether we need even more teams and books.

So, i guess my question is kind of three-fold. Post Secret Wars...

How many xmen teams or x-books should there be?

What should be the size of said teams? iN other words how many members should make up the teams?

And what should be the direction,focus or premise of the different books to distinguish them from each other?

Spectacular Member

I want a Blue and Gold team. One team focused on standard superhero stuff ala Joss Whedon one with a more Scifi focus ala Warren Ellis.

I want a New Mutant/New X-men book focused around the Surge/Hellion/Armor generation of mutants.

I want an X-Factor book. This book should be the wildcard book. A place for creators with specific takes on the X-men that don't fit the normal superhero/scifi/school template.

I want a school book. Don't know what the name is but a book separate from the others that just focuses on the teachers and students being teachers and students would be cool.

Edit: As long as those 5 concepts are covered I am cool.

Whatever Marvel decides, things have to change - the current state of affairs seems to be inching the franchise to one of its lowest points ever.

So no more gimmicks, Phoenix's, silly plot twists, ignoring canon, deity like feats and omega mutants popping up around every corner, wonky timeline rules, "streamlining" for new readers, plot devices, plot device new mutants, pet characters, mary sues, wallpaper mutants, bad art, bad editing, bad dialogue, secondary mutations, pointless books and plots that don't go anywhere, over-saturation of characters in multiple books, niche titles pretending to be main books, reboots, silly retcons to introduce even sillier characters, no more ignoring plot threads till the 9th innings, no more cheap shock tactics, character assassinations, no more pointless events, silly cross-overs, clearly failing titles get cancelled or moved to digital....well I could go on forever - these have been some of the worsts and most pointless years in X-history.

What I want: A clear vision from the head writers and editors on where they are heading - no "Oh, this didn't work, because I was forced to change my epic, cool plan" excuses - make it work, it's your job. Books that each have a unique feel and team. And that's "team" book as in "the writer must actually use all the characters, not just focus on one or two for close to 30 issues". If Marvel "must" have a school, then have one with a clearly defined message and staff that fit those roles (no shoving characters like Gumbo or Psylocke in as permanent teachers). Have a quirky, fun title or a supernatural X-title - those spice up the line. Have a more mature, dark title. Get back to proper TP ethic rules. Continuity that makes sense. Books come out on time and in order.

AND for the love of all things holy - please have the normally, smart, sensible X-Men go back to being just that.
    Last edited by Beezzi; 05-29-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Almost the same as Nyadnar17, I want two core X-Men teams. One team focused on standard superhero stuff ala Joss Whedon one with a more Scifi focus ala Warren Ellis.

I want a New Mutant/New X-men book focused around the Surge/Hellion/Armor generation of mutants.

I want an X-Force book. This book should be the black-ops book. A team tasked with things that need to be done of radar.

I want a kids in training book, for the other kids who are not on the New Mutants book. Trained by a team of X-Men to done as Carey did on Legacy. Would be great if it had Rogue in it.

On more book with a mixture of some Teen O5 and Revolutionary Kids and 2 X-Men working for SHIELD.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

BANNED

Add me to the list of those wanting to see the NXM kids get some more respect.

Also, X-23 as the new Wolverine, both on the A-List X-team book, as well as headlining All-New Wolverine.

Give me a book with most of the unused 90s characters in it like: Gambit, Bishop, Jubes, Cece Reyes, Chamber and watch it outsell all the plot device/wallpaper mutants books.

Please let the O5 go home...it just has to end...(I know they won't, but a girl can dream)

My hopes if they're going the reboot route (which I doubt, btw):

THE X-MEN: The flagshig book. I would take some pages from '92 and Ultimate's line-up and have this be a big, iconic X-men team. Most of the team would be around their mid-20s and would have been X-men for more or less 5 years now. The team would be:
    0. Professor X (mentor)
    1. Cyclops (co-leader)
    2. Storm (co-leader)
    3. Jean Grey
    4. Beast
    5. Colossus
    6. Iceman
    7. Rogue
    8. Jubilee
    9. Wolverine
    10. Gambit

I would make some changes to the characters: The first five would be the new O5; Iceman would be closer to Rogue's age; Colossus would be gay; Wolverine would be more of an outsider, only helping the team on certain missions; Jubilee would be the newest member (after Kitty leaves the team) and Gambit would be a true wildcard again.

THE NEW MUTANTS: a group of young mutants being trained by Emma Frost to become leaders in a more accepting tomorrow. Frost's means wouldn't be exactly orthodox, which would raise the suspicions of the students, especially after discovering what happened to her first class, the Hellions.
    0. Emma Frost
    1. Kitty Pryde (after leaving the X-men over an argument with Professor X)
    2. Cypher (Kitty's confidant and aspiring scientist)
    3. Moonstar (Emma hopes to turn her into an olympic-level athlete)
    4. Sunspot (the future leader of the Hellfire club)
    5. Cannonball (aspiring X-man, Emma would try to change his mind)
    6. Firestar (the only remaining Hellion. She'd know things about Emma her teacher would be trying to hide from the NM)
    7. Karma (a Vietnamese immigrant trying to run from a dark past)
    *Magik would be added a little later.

X-FACTOR: a group of rebels fighting for mutant rights in the distopic country of Genosha. X-factor would be hunted by Valerie Cooper's O.N.E.
    1. Havok (Alex Summers)
    2. Polaris (Lorna Dane, daughter of Magneto)
    3. Frenzy (former follower of Magneto)
    4. Darwin
    5. Madrox
    6. Rictor
    7. Wolfsbane

X-FORCE: a team of mutants willing to make hard choices for the future of their kind.
    1. Cable (soldier from the future)
    2. Deadpool (mercenary, wildcard)
    3. Domino (Cable's right hand)
    4. Psylocke (ninja/spy, half-sister of Captain Britain)
    5. Archangel (formerly known as the X-men's Angel)
    6. Warpath (brother of a mutant the X-men failed to save)
    7. Marrow (former member of the Morlocks)
    * Bishop, Sage and Boom Boom would be introduced later on.

EXCALIBUR: team of heroes protecting "616"-Earth from Omniversal threats. Stories would be closer to the fantasy genre.
    1. Captain Britain (Brian Braddock)
    2. Meggan Puceanu
    3. Nightcrawler (would join after a long stint as an X-man)
    4. Pixie (the team's rookie)
    5. Black Knight
    6. Faiza Hussain (the most normal of the bunch)
    7. Pete Wisdom (the team's connection to the MI13)

The last team book would be an EXILES relaunch, focusing on the sci-fi aspects of the team, but maintaining some of the cast of the first run:
    0. Timebroker (not the cockroaches version)
    1. Blink
    2. Morph
    3. Mimic
    4. Nocturne
    5. Sunfire (Mariko)
    6. Sasquatch

My intention was for each book to have a different flavor. X-men would be the most "super-hero-y" of the bunch, while NM would focus more on the young-adults genre, X-factor would be closer to a political thriller, X-force would be more like an action blockbuster and the last two would focus on fantasy and science fiction respectively.

Solo titles would include:
    1) Wolverine (since he'd have a smaller part in the X-men ongoing)
    2) Shadowcat (after she drops Emma's academy and becomes a solo hero)
    3) Magneto (similar to the current run)

The O5 should go... what I would like to see though, is some form of the current O5 to come together to do something. I don't know how that would work with SW now, but just something I'd like to see happen at some point.

I want a restraining order against the Avengers and SHIELD.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    The O5 should go... what I would like to see though, is some form of the current O5 to come together to do something. I don't know how that would work with SW now, but just something I'd like to see happen at some point.
    We can only hope, but I feel like we might be stuck with the O5 for life...

A good X-Factor style book with the proper O5 would be great - a good way for them all to reconnect after Schism.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezzi View Post
    We can only hope, but I feel like we might be stuck with the O5 for life...

A good X-Factor style book with the proper O5 would be great - a good way for them all to reconnect after Schism.
    Since they seem to be so inspired by the movies, I bet if Laura leaves (or maybe even if she doesn't) Jubilee may very well start hanging out with them.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    My hopes if they're going the reboot route (which I doubt, btw):

THE X-MEN: The flagshig book. I would take some pages from '92 and Ultimate's line-up and have this be a big, iconic X-men team. Most of the team would be around their mid-20s and would have been X-men for more or less 5 years now. The team would be:
    0. Professor X (mentor)
    1. Cyclops (co-leader)
    2. Storm (co-leader)
    3. Jean Grey
    4. Beast
    5. Colossus
    6. Iceman
    7. Rogue
    8. Jubilee
    9. Wolverine
    10. Gambit

I would make some changes to the characters: The first five would be the new O5; Iceman would be closer to Rogue's age; Colossus would be gay; Wolverine would be more of an outsider, only helping the team on certain missions; Jubilee would be the newest member (after Kitty leaves the team) and Gambit would be a true wildcard again.

THE NEW MUTANTS: a group of young mutants being trained by Emma Frost to become leaders in a more accepting tomorrow. Frost's means wouldn't be exactly orthodox, which would raise the suspicions of the students, especially after discovering what happened to her first class, the Hellions.
    0. Emma Frost
    1. Kitty Pryde (after leaving the X-men over an argument with Professor X)
    2. Cypher (Kitty's confidant and aspiring scientist)
    3. Moonstar (Emma hopes to turn her into an olympic-level athlete)
    4. Sunspot (the future leader of the Hellfire club)
    5. Cannonball (aspiring X-man, Emma would try to change his mind)
    6. Firestar (the only remaining Hellion. She'd know things about Emma her teacher would be trying to hide from the NM)
    7. Karma (a Vietnamese immigrant trying to run from a dark past)
    *Magik would be added a little later.

X-FACTOR: a group of rebels fighting for mutant rights in the distopic country of Genosha. X-factor would be hunted by Valerie Cooper's O.N.E.
    1. Havok (Alex Summers)
    2. Polaris (Lorna Dane, daughter of Magneto)
    3. Frenzy (former follower of Magneto)
    4. Darwin
    5. Madrox
    6. Rictor
    7. Wolfsbane

X-FORCE: a team of mutants willing to make hard choices for the future of their kind.
    1. Cable (soldier from the future)
    2. Deadpool (mercenary, wildcard)
    3. Domino (Cable's right hand)
    4. Psylocke (ninja/spy, half-sister of Captain Britain)
    5. Archangel (formerly known as the X-men's Angel)
    6. Warpath (brother of a mutant the X-men failed to save)
    7. Marrow (former member of the Morlocks)
    * Bishop, Sage and Boom Boom would be introduced later on.

EXCALIBUR: team of heroes protecting "616"-Earth from Omniversal threats. Stories would be closer to the fantasy genre.
    1. Captain Britain (Brian Braddock)
    2. Meggan Puceanu
    3. Nightcrawler (would join after a long stint as an X-man)
    4. Pixie (the team's rookie)
    5. Black Knight
    6. Faiza Hussain (the most normal of the bunch)
    7. Pete Wisdom (the team's connection to the MI13)

The last team book would be an EXILES relaunch, focusing on the sci-fi aspects of the team, but maintaining some of the cast of the first run:
    0. Timebroker (not the cockroaches version)
    1. Blink
    2. Morph
    3. Mimic
    4. Nocturne
    5. Sunfire (Mariko)
    6. Sasquatch

My intention was for each book to have a different flavor. X-men would be the most "super-hero-y" of the bunch, while NM would focus more on the young-adults genre, X-factor would be closer to a political thriller, X-force would be more like an action blockbuster and the last two would focus on fantasy and science fiction respectively.

Solo titles would include:
    1) Wolverine (since he'd have a smaller part in the X-men ongoing)
    2) Shadowcat (after she drops Emma's academy and becomes a solo hero)
    3) Magneto (similar to the current run)
    Good first team line up and I would love Excalibur to return in some form (although no one should ever borrow anything from the UU - that awful universe failed for a reason ).

Your right though - every book needs to have a different feel and style - none of this odd tone muddlled interlinking books baloney Marvel's been trying to push for the last few years.

What I would like to see:

-A teaching staff that isn't completely unbeliveable. Emma Frost, Banshee, Beast, Kitty Pryde and maybe Iceman. I can see them working as teachers. They could focus on finding young mutants in danger, rescuing them, teaching them and protecting them. Something closer to X-Generation or Pre-Decimation Xavier School rather than the latter Uncanny X-Men or JGHS.

-The rest of the X-Men would focus on superheroics (destroying Sentinels and chasing U-Men and such): Storm as leader, Psylocke, Gambit, Magik, Colossus, Wolverine, if he's alive, Rachel, Sunfire, Havok, Domino, Frenzy...etc.

-A team of the best young mutants: Monet as leader, Pixie, Omega Kid, Rockslide, Transonic, X-23, Mercury, Armor, Tempus...etc. Let those grow and become something else than wallpaper.
    Last edited by Habis; 05-29-2015 at 04:40 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Add me to the list of those wanting to see the NXM kids get some more respect.

Also, X-23 as the new Wolverine, both on the A-List X-team book, as well as headlining All-New Wolverine.
    yes, with Old Man Logan as her on and off mentor

BANNED

Here what I want.

Team Books:

Uncanny X-MEN: school book focusing on the team based their as teachers along with their students, lead by Storm and Kitty Pryde. with ceman, Blink, Nathan Grey, Firestar, Armor as members
    Evan/Genesis would be a big focus in this book.

Astonishing X-MEN: team focusing on superhero stuff, getting out their and showing the world that the X-MEN are their to protect people and fight villains. Lead by Nightcrawler and Rachel Grey. with 05 Angel, Sunfire, Havok and Cannonball as members. Azazel would be the main antagonist.

X-FORCE: black ops team, lead by Cyclops and Cable, with Magneto as an ally/consultant. Maverick, Domino, Sabertooth (still inverted), and Magic as members.

X-Factor: investigative team, there to investigate crimes involving mutants. lead by Psylocke, with X23 as the new Wolverine. Bishop, Rogue (has control of her powers) and Gambit as members

Young X-MEN: has members from both the 05 X-MEN and former recruits from Cyclops' school. Lead by 05 Cyclops. This book would be about the next generation (and the young time displaced heroes) trying to learn from the mistakes of the past, trying to do better than their predecessors. Has 05 Beast, 05 Iceman, Goldball, Benjamin Deeds as members.

Solo Books:

All-New Wolverine: Laura takes up her father's mantle to honor him. Trying to continue his legacy while also trying to move on from the cycle of death and revenge that he failed to escape. Maybe feature Daken as a supporting character.

Grey: It would be about 05 Jean traveling the world, dealing with the fate her counterpart, while learning more about the Phoenix and it's potential return.

Gambit: Has Gambit going to back to New Orleans only to discover that his old thieves guild has become a evil mafia type organization. It would take inspiration from Robin Hood. Maybe feature Rogue. Maybe with Fantomex as Gambit's semi friendly rival.

Storm: might be a little much to have both as the school headmistress and have solo adventures but she deserves another solo book

Xavier: this is a weird idea I had. after Secret Wars a young (and still walking) Charles Xavier is transferred into the present. Shocked at the events his counterpart ultimately caused he becomes a nomadic hero. Working as a private tutor for young mutants not enrolled in the school.
    Last edited by William300; 05-29-2015 at 08:55 PM.