Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    #55 Nightwing Thor

Apokolips and Asgard/ A war to destroy the Old Gods/ Utter annihilation/ Yet a remnant of the old realm survived/ The weapon of the Storm God/ The White-Hot Death...The Hell Hammer!/ Stolen by the wards of the maelstrom / A fealty to their new liege/ Parademons exalting Darkseid/ How came this mighty weapon/ Into the possession of Dick Grayson/ The New God of the Maelstrom, of parademons and eternal strife?
    I like everything about this.

All-New Member

Sorry, Reb! I'm not dead I swear just busy.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrellan View Post
    I like the look and the form. Good job.
    Thank you Galexus is truly excellent... the others are great, and clearly done with a confident hand, and faith in the water... but the rendering on that one in particular is completely out of sight. Well done.

I believe you mean Eptingize. But it doesn't roll quite right on the tongue, does it?
    Eptimize? Anyway, well... I do, and I don't. Don't get me wrong, Epting drew the heck out of them... IMO of all the FF/F4-era artists it was he, Dragotta, and later Allred, that took a great look and made it absolutely definitive. However I'd bet any money the design is Hickman.

I have absolutely no supporting evidence or quotes, but... those costumes sing of Hickman design. They're in his design language... or maybe they're the Kirby language spoken with a Hickman accent. That's why Firestorm works so well, and also why I was able to pretty much draw the Avengers Machine on his chest and have it still look like an FF design

Look at the Maker's helmet, the Secret Wars splash pages, the A/NA cast pages, or the tech-design in "East of West." In "Nightly News," where he had complete control, the same loose rules even defined the layouts.

That slick, clean, split-radial post-Apple je ne c'est quois. It's in everything he touches, and if he weren't so completely %^*&^%&-ing good at it I'm sure it would annoy every artist he pushes his visuals on.
    Last edited by gromit; 08-09-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Sorry, Reb! I'm not dead I swear just busy.

Thank you Galexus is truly excellent... the others are great, and clearly done with a confident hand, and faith in the water... but the rendering on that one in particular is completely out of sight. Well done.

Eptimize? Anyway, well... I do, and I don't. Don't get me wrong, Epting drew the heck out of them... IMO of all the FF/F4-era artists it was he, Dragotta, and later Allred, that took a great look and made it absolutely definitive. However I'd bet any money the design is Hickman.

I have absolutely no supporting evidence or quotes, but... those costumes sing of Hickman design. They're in his design language... or maybe they're the Kirby language spoken with a Hickman accent. That's why Firestorm works so well, and also why I was able to pretty much draw the Avengers Machine on his chest and have it still look like an FF design

Look at the Maker's helmet, the Secret Wars splash pages, the A/NA cast pages, or the tech-design in "East of West." In "Nightly News," where he had complete control, the same loose rules even defined the layouts.

That slick, clean, split-radial post-Apple je ne c'est quois. It's in everything he touches, and if he weren't so completely %^*&^%&-ing good at it I'm sure it would annoy every artist he pushes his visuals on.
    You pay far more attention to what Hickman does than I do. The only art samples I've seen by him come from Pax Romana, and that showed no inclination for tech. He kept everything vague, almost down to silhouettes, but it was clear he has talent. And whenever the writer has artistic talent, one can count on him using it to describe what he wants from the artist.

The FF suits Epting drew were conceptually different from previous designs. Reminiscent of Space 1999, the trademark 4 was replaced with a trio of hexagons which indicated one's place on the team and implied that Spider-Man (for instance) was not a core member, because he didn't have a hexagon. Not a put-down, more a statement on the loss of Johnny. And yeah, it seems the sort of thing that a writer who can draw would come up with. A pretty sweet logo, one which didn't work with a fourth core member, so when the Torch returned it got tossed.

Yes, Eptimize! Dang, why didn't I think of that? Very good, sir.

Splash pages? Nothing I'd clearly call a splash page there. Wait, I get it. You're talking about the Doom and Battleworld logos. The man likes neat patterns and logos. Seriously, I gave up keeping track of costume designs back when the Wasp first started showing up in a new suit for every arc. But now that you mention it, it all kind of adds up. Like whenever Giffen writes and someone else draws, one often still sees Giffen in the layouts.
    Last edited by thetrellan; 08-10-2015 at 11:12 AM.

#55 Nightwing Thor

Apokolips and Asgard/ A war to destroy the Old Gods/ Utter annihilation/ Yet a remnant of the old realm survived/ The weapon of the Storm God/ The White-Hot Death...The Hell Hammer!/ Stolen by the wards of the maelstrom / A fealty to their new liege/ Parademons exalting Darkseid/ How came this mighty weapon/ Into the possession of Dick Grayson/ The New God of the Maelstrom, of parademons and eternal strife?
    I'll take #93 next, please.
    Excellent work, you have selected: Wally West
    ART JAM VI:House Of Mouse

V

IV

III

II

Well I think this marks the end for me this time. I seem to be finding less and less time to do the work, and I ended up rushing this one too much. But it is what it is, and what it is is Black Barda.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

#61 Darkseid Hulk:

The Gamma weapon that Checkmate used on Apokolips had unexpected consequences.....
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Please could I have #40 next?
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

#93 Wally West

The Speed Force and the Enigma Force meet, turning Wally West into the ultra-cosmic UniFlash!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

May I have #90 next?

Well I think this marks the end for me this time. I seem to be finding less and less time to do the work, and I ended up rushing this one too much. But it is what it is, and what it is is Black Barda.
    This is a great way to close out your contributions. Thanks for your hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Batman View Post
    #61 Darkseid Hulk:

The Gamma weapon that Checkmate used on Apokolips had unexpected consequences.....
    Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Batman View Post
    Please could I have #40 next?
    Great work Celtic. You have selected: Barry Allen

#93 Wally West

The Speed Force and the Enigma Force meet, turning Wally West into the ultra-cosmic UniFlash!
    May I have #90 next?
    This is amazing Judicator. You have selected: Vixen

V

IV

III

II

Krakoa is for lovers Blackphoenix's Avatar

#93 Wally West

I LOVE THIS!

You and thetrellan have been killing it this entire jam.

Krakoa is for lovers Blackphoenix's Avatar

Jaime Reyes, The Blue Spider

Jamie Reyes led a rather unremarkable life until, shortly after he graduated high school, he found a golden, spider-shaped medallion that granted him amazing powers (speed, super strength, durability, web shooting, wall crawling). Jaime used his newfound spider-powers to become a luchador, stitching a costume together out of webbing and joining a superpowered wrestling league. When agents of the alien Spider Guild started attacking him in and out of the ring in an attempt to get the medallion back, Jaime tapped into its full powers, growing an armored carapace around his body. Now, he wrestles by day and fights crime by night as the Blue Spider

BONUS: Jaime's luchador costume:

I think I have time for one more. Let me have #14
    Last edited by Blackphoenix; 08-18-2015 at 05:05 PM.

This is what I have so far. Why must I be a perfectionist, why can't i just get it over with.... *rambles rambles*....

constantine preview.jpg
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

Quote Originally Posted by Izanami View Post
    This is what I have so far. Why must I be a perfectionist, why can't i just get it over with.... *rambles rambles*....

constantine preview.jpg
    Why you sound like an artist. Wanting perfection, knowing perfection is boring, then just wanting it to be over. Then it's over, and somehow worth it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackphoenix View Post
    Jaime Reyes, The Blue Spider

Jamie Reyes led a rather unremarkable life until, shortly after he graduated high school, he found a golden, spider-shaped medallion that granted him amazing powers (speed, super strength, durability, web shooting, wall crawling). Jaime used his newfound spider-powers to become a luchador, stitching a costume together out of webbing and joining a superpowered wrestling league. When agents of the alien Spider Guild started attacking him in and out of the ring in an attempt to get the medallion back, Jaime tapped into its full powers, growing an armored carapace around his body. Now, he wrestles by day and fights crime by night as the Blue Spider

BONUS: Jaime's luchador costume:

I think I have time for one more. Let me have #14
    This is wonderful, great work... You have selected: Jason Todd

V

IV

III

II