Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Yeah, I'm going with Majestic on this. White women are not lacking in MCU movies (in fact a white female led movie is coming) so it's not really a fair trade to change an Asian character to a white woman.

And even if you considered it a fair trade, removing ethnic diversity for gender diversity isn't "adding" anything. -1 + 1 adds up to zero

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    How many white women headlined Hollywood movies last year? How many Asian men even got to just appear in Hollywood productions?
    The playing field is even more tilted for some of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Yeah, I'm going with Majestic on this. White women are not lacking in MCU movies (in fact a white female led movie is coming) so it's not really a fair trade to change an Asian character to a white woman.
    And even if you considered it a fair trade, removing ethnic diversity for gender diversity isn't "adding" anything. -1 + 1 adds up to zero
    My "P.S." comment was being facetious; since there is no point in playing oppression olympics; for the very reason you both demonstrated. I do want more Asian rep in the MCU (esp. Asian male, since that is ignored more than Asian women -- who headline in AoS); but I also believe in casting the best for the role. Either someone is okay with characters being race/gender changed for the films, or they are not. It's not a one way street. Now hopefully they combine Wong/Clea and make Strange gay, THAT would be awesome, but I doubt it. Have they cast Wong?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Again, I don't think whitewashing and racebending are the same thing. One erases, the other adds.

Couple that with we now know Marvel put resrictions on Sony to keep Peter Parker white and straight so clearly that whole "best actor for the role" thing doesn't happen.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...n-restrictions