Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

From my experience, I've noticed the detractors of DC complain about the "grim and gritty" nature of the films. And I honestly don't know how that is a problem.

I am yet to hear someone complain that the MCU is always fun and witty. Every movie has had humour, no matter what the world-ending scenario is. You know what? It's fun, and I like it. We've had 11 movies of that so far.
    Why is it, then, when DC has had one movie in it's DCCU take a serious tone (5 if you account for TDK trilogy and Watchmen strictly on the basis of DC output), do we have people complaining of some arbitrary "always" grim and gritty? Complaints that "we're tired" of the grim superhero? The lighter and humour filled superhero movies far outnumber the gritty ones.

I like the variety we have right now. If I want fun and witty, I see the MCU movies. If I want a more serious tone, I go to DC. This seems perfectly acceptable to me.
    Ideally, however, we'd see great variety: DC with some fun and witty movies (again, we've only had one movie in the DCCU, so we'll see); and some MCU movies take a more serious and gritty tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanon the Sea Dragon View Post
    I read some of your comments and im so glad that someone with a Marvel character avatar is bringin positivity to the DC boards. Thank you
    My pleasure! Young Justice 4Life!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    oh please DCCU is hated because its DC, quality of the movies have nothing to do with it, DC is just the thing to hate on the internet.
    That's just wrong and PETTY. I despise that logic!

Spectacular Member

Superman is the corner stone of the DC universe. I HATE Hopeman in Man of Steel and nothing in the Batman v Superman trailers gives me any hope (see what I did there) that DC is changing directions. My young friend seems to like the new DCCU stuff so I have hope they are just targeting a different audience than me, but yeah...I hate what I have seen so far.

Edit: Bottom Line of DCCU haters like myself is if you hated MoS then the message from DC seems to be that you are shit out of luck. The DCCU isn't for you. I have some hope left for Suicide Squad, but all these "leaks" are destroying that hope. Again I could be and hope I am wrong, but the message seems to be "you are not the target audience".

Also Jaden Smith as Static Shock..............I don't have enough dots.
    Last edited by Nyadnar17; 06-01-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyadnar17 View Post
    Superman is the corner stone of the DC universe. I HATE Hopeman in Man of Steel and nothing in the Batman v Superman trailers gives me any hope (see what I did there) that DC is changing directions. My young friend seems to like the new DCCU stuff so I have hope they are just targeting a different audience than me, but yeah...I hate what I have seen so far.
    Then there's the door, good sir...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Suicide Squad looks better than the Justice League.
    Justice league hasn't even started filming?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master X View Post
    They're sick of dark and grim DCU, is probably what it is.
    Define "sick of". Last I recall tdk and tdkr made a billion each.

Why Can't DC and Marvel fans just get along? Here's a commission pic I got from Wizard World.

Witch:Flash.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Some of it is the worship of the Marvel brand and the dick measuring contest that follows. As if every Marvel film is a piece of cinematic brilliance to rival the Godfather. Mad Max: Fury Road made AoU feel like a fluff filled waste of time in comparison, so its not like the DCCU has to aim high to surpass the MCU in actual quality when their only film so far is as good or better than half of Marvel's output. And the Marvel fans be envious that Ben Affleck looks way cooler in his costume than any of the MCU heroes do in theirs

The rest of it is a narrow view of how these characters can be interpreted. Superman can never be in a serious, somber story EVER. Actions can never have actual consequences. Wonder Woman's bewbs and muscles aren't big enough, the Joker's tattoos are frightening and confusing, a movie starring a bunch of murdering psychos must be fun entertainment for the whole family full of quips or else it is an abomination, etc. I favor certain interpretations over others, but you need to be open minded because these characters can't survive unless they experiment. I support criticizing the final product, but saying the sky is falling after some character photos and some blurry cell phone camera footage is beyond ridiculous. As is predicting the entire tone and plot of a movie after one teaser trailer.
    Pretty much this.

I like the MCU films as much as the next person but some of their obsessive fans will shit on anything DC does and praise everything Marvel does. It has now become cool to hate DC on the internet. I know there are people who have legit complaints but there are even more who just jump on the bandwagon of criticizing DC because other people are doing it. People will even lie and say the general public hates DC's movies. Like the people who say Man of Steel was a box office disappointment and that it had bad legs at the box office. MOS opened with $116 million during it's opening weekend in North America, finishing with $291 million. That's a 2.5 multiplier. Age of Ultron opened with $191 million and is looking to finish with around $460 million for a 2.4 multiplier. The movie people complain was too dark and gloomy, sucked not fun, etc. is going to finish with better legs at the North American box office than the more fun lighthearted MCU movie. If people supposedly hate the dark tone so much why did MOS have better legs than AOU? Why did it do better on DVD than Iron Man 3? I mean surely people don't buy DVD's of movies they hate and think are too dark.

At the end of the day people are just complaining to complain, and anything more serious than the average kids cartoon is clearly too dark and scary for a bunch of adults to handle. We don't know what the tone of every DC movie will be and Shazam and The Flash (directing by the guys who brought us The Lego Movie) definitely won't be dark. People worried The Flash would be dark and gritty just because Arrow was and we all know how that turned out. So people just need to wait and see before they start crying about DC always being dark and gritty.
    Last edited by The True Detective; 06-01-2015 at 09:54 PM.

looking at this thread and seeing comments like ¨people are just going to hate DC no matter what¨ makes me sad as that really doesnt answer the point of the thread and just plain ignores the problem entirely

I genuinely dont think that people ¨hate¨ the DCCU, is more like peopl has not been sold on the idea of it yet

it is hard to accept that it is even happening much less that it is going to be even good because of the track record and worst of all even considering it successful, because if it is not successful then it is just going to die and we might not get any more DC movies which might not turn out to be a giant piece of garbage

basically it is not just ¨hate¨ it is just lack of confidence and in my opinion is completely justified

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    looking at this thread and seeing comments like ¨people are just going to hate DC no matter what¨ makes me sad as that really doesnt answer the point of the thread and just plain ignores the problem entirely

I genuinely dont think that people ¨hate¨ the DCCU, is more like peopl has not been sold on the idea of it yet

it is hard to accept that it is even happening much less that it is going to be even good because of the track record and worst of all even considering it successful, because if it is not successful then it is just going to die and we might not get any more DC movies which might not turn out to be a giant piece of garbage

basically it is not just ¨hate¨ it is just lack of confidence and in my opinion is completely justified

I think Comic Con can bring some of the tension down. We have no idea what direction they are going with the universe. I think they should start off small a build up to a Legion of Doom Justice League movie, then a Darkseid -New Gods centered movie. Marvel has NOT done a Masters of Evil group so this is DC's chance to bring something original to the table before Marvel. The third movie could be the expansion of the multiverse with the Crime Syndicate.

Honestly what track record does DC have? Green Lantern? there's a successful Batman trilogy right before that.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

BANNED

Most of the hate comes from disgruntled fans of pre-flashpoint DC, the people who disliked MoS tend to hate 52 new.

They want see superman fly around in red undies.
    Last edited by Stone Cold; 06-01-2015 at 10:53 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wandacrystal22 View Post
    My pleasure! Young Justice 4Life!
    that show was awesome, specially the first season

Mighty Member

There is a lot of complainers on the internet about anything, but I think the GENERAL audience loved MOS, despite people thinking it was split. It's hard to say either way, but things like:

1. MOS sold more DVD/Blue Ray than Iron Man 3 that year and it wasn't even close.
    2. MOS did quite well in AMC'S March Movie Madness. Even taking down The Dark Knight Rises and Spider-Man in the tournament, which is one of the highest rated movies on IMDB.