Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I honestly don't like that they new Batman will be based on DKR. I've always felt DKR Batman is kind of limited. I also think it's a bad idea long term to place any specific age on a character when this universe is supposed to last years, maybe decades. The DC film universe Batman is now permanently that age, no going back. I'm also someone disappointed that were getting a Suicide Squad film this early, I would have preferred if we had gotten to see the characters as active villains first. I'm also skeptical about them splitting Justice League into two films, I know Marvel is doing that with Avengers Infinity War but that's the finale to a long ongoing plan, JL is the first big DC film crossover and the introduction for many to these characters, splitting the story in two and making people wait in the first live action JL story doesn't seem right. But they are doing some things I like, I'm happy some lesser known heroes are getting the spotlight, I never thought we'd see a Shazam film but were getting one and I'm very curious about the scheduled Cyborg film sense I don't think he's ever even had a solo series.
    Last edited by William300; 06-02-2015 at 06:51 AM.

iMan 42s

Every time a thread like this pops up people who dislike Man of steel are suddenly inferior because we didn't like this interpretation of superman. Never mind the fact that a lot of us don't hate the DC cinematic universe because it hasn't even started yet just that we didn't like Man of Steel. At the end of the day it was mixed reaction but was positive enough and made enough money that DC could create a sequel. Simple as that.
    Man of Steel is not the best super hero movie ever made. It wouldn't have gotten nearly the amount of crap it got since it hit and left theatres if it was. Hate trends come and go but if a movie like Man of Steel can still split audiences then your movie did something wrong.

I'm not going to post like I know what that was because it was all subjective with what is wrong in this film. Objectively though this movie did what it needed to do and that was tell the origins of this universes superman and it left an impression in peoples minds. I'm also fairly confident this thread is about people who are mad because of the split among fans with Man of Steel. There ISNT a cinematic universe yet people. There is only one film in this continuity and it didn't leave that great of an impression with a lot of people, so can you really blame them for being hesitant about the sequel and suicide squad? DC's most successful movies to date have been the Batman films. Don't act like you are so surprised when a film like this doesn't hold up and some are wary about the sequels.

Was Man of Steel good? It wasn't perfect no movie is but it didn't hold up too well. Still the movie got a sequel which might fix a number of flaws with this soon to be cinematic universe. At the end of the day just hope for a good movie and quit complaining or wearing your rose tinted glasses.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    looking at this thread and seeing comments like ¨people are just going to hate DC no matter what¨ makes me sad as that really doesnt answer the point of the thread and just plain ignores the problem entirely

I genuinely dont think that people ¨hate¨ the DCCU, is more like peopl has not been sold on the idea of it yet

it is hard to accept that it is even happening much less that it is going to be even good because of the track record and worst of all even considering it successful, because if it is not successful then it is just going to die and we might not get any more DC movies which might not turn out to be a giant piece of garbage

basically it is not just ¨hate¨ it is just lack of confidence and in my opinion is completely justified
    Well said. And hilariously, every DC Cin U fan likes to think "Marvel fanboys" are behind all hate. Constant Marvel vs DC us vs them Pro-New 52 vs Anti-New-52 generalizing assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    There is only one film in this continuity and it didn't leave that great of an impression with a lot of people, so can you really blame them for being hesitant about the sequel and suicide squad? DC's most successful movies to date have been the Batman films. Don't act like you are so surprised when a film like this doesn't hold up and some are wary about the sequels.
    Good point indeed.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-02-2015 at 07:03 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

I really hate that people call me a Marvel fanboy if a criticize something DC does. I don't think I can be a Marvel fanboy when my favorite comic book ever is Kingdom Come (a DC comic), I criticize because I love DC and I wan't their films to be good. If I hated DC, then I wouldn't watch their films, I wouldn't even be on this forum if I hated DC.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Some of it is the worship of the Marvel brand and the dick measuring contest that follows. As if every Marvel film is a piece of cinematic brilliance to rival the Godfather. Mad Max: Fury Road made AoU feel like a fluff filled waste of time in comparison, so its not like the DCCU has to aim high to surpass the MCU in actual quality when their only film so far is as good or better than half of Marvel's output. And the Marvel fans be envious that Ben Affleck looks way cooler in his costume than any of the MCU heroes do in theirs

The rest of it is a narrow view of how these characters can be interpreted. Superman can never be in a serious, somber story EVER. Actions can never have actual consequences. Wonder Woman's bewbs and muscles aren't big enough, the Joker's tattoos are frightening and confusing, a movie starring a bunch of murdering psychos must be fun entertainment for the whole family full of quips or else it is an abomination, etc. I favor certain interpretations over others, but you need to be open minded because these characters can't survive unless they experiment. I support criticizing the final product, but saying the sky is falling after some character photos and some blurry cell phone camera footage is beyond ridiculous. As is predicting the entire tone and plot of a movie after one teaser trailer.
    THIS!!

Plus MCU fans are an insecure lot who view any competition to Marvel's current dominance a threat. They even hate on the Marvel/Fox films.
    Quality-wise, it's not really that hard to produce as good a product (or better) than what Marvel currently has. Days of Future Past is easily as good (and more emotionally potent) than Captain America 2.
    The Bruce Timm DCAU outshines Marvel's cinematic efforts on nearly all levels.
    If WB/DC hit it out of the park with BvS they've essentially caught up to Marvel; eleven films in and nobody even talks about 8 of them anymore. MOS has been out for 2 years and people are still fighting over that movie. Who's talking about Thor 2 or Iron Man 3 two years later? Nobody.

Other haters are disgruntled older DC fans who didn't get a remake of the Donner films even though time has shown there's more disdain for a film in a Donner timeline than originally thought. Donner's Superman universe didn't get better with time, starting with Superman 2. The viewing audience that has accepted MOS (making it a BO blockbuster and dvd/blu ray hit) have moved on from Donner.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    looking at this thread and seeing comments like ¨people are just going to hate DC no matter what¨ makes me sad as that really doesnt answer the point of the thread and just plain ignores the problem entirely

I genuinely dont think that people ¨hate¨ the DCCU, is more like peopl has not been sold on the idea of it yet

it is hard to accept that it is even happening much less that it is going to be even good because of the track record and worst of all even considering it successful, because if it is not successful then it is just going to die and we might not get any more DC movies which might not turn out to be a giant piece of garbage

basically it is not just ¨hate¨ it is just lack of confidence and in my opinion is completely justified
    I'd say 4 movies (TDKT and MOS) that grossed about $3 billion at the box office is a pretty good track record.

Edit: Also people still regard TDK (a DC film) as the greatest CBM of all time, and that's nearly unanimous among the viewing public and the talent in Hollywood.
    Last edited by FIFTY-TWO (52); 06-02-2015 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Is Suicide Squad even in the same continuity as BM vs SM?

Because an older Batman vs a younger Joker would be kinda odd.
    Yes, Suicide Squad is in the same continuity as BvS. Why wouldn't it be?
    Also, the DCCU is a lived in universe. Bats and Joker have been at it for years by the time we meet them.

Quote Originally Posted by ElGuitaristMagnifico View Post
    From my experience, I've noticed the detractors of DC complain about the "grim and gritty" nature of the films. And I honestly don't know how that is a problem.

I am yet to hear someone complain that the MCU is always fun and witty. Every movie has had humour, no matter what the world-ending scenario is. You know what? It's fun, and I like it. We've had 11 movies of that so far.
    Why is it, then, when DC has had one movie in it's DCCU take a serious tone (5 if you account for TDK trilogy and Watchmen strictly on the basis of DC output), do we have people complaining of some arbitrary "always" grim and gritty? Complaints that "we're tired" of the grim superhero? The lighter and humour filled superhero movies far outnumber the gritty ones.

I like the variety we have right now. If I want fun and witty, I see the MCU movies. If I want a more serious tone, I go to DC. This seems perfectly acceptable to me.
    Ideally, however, we'd see great variety: DC with some fun and witty movies (again, we've only had one movie in the DCCU, so we'll see); and some MCU movies take a more serious and gritty tone.
    The irony is that being more serious and grounded was what attracted fans to Marvel in the first place.

Lol
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Many think both stunk in their own ways.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post

Lol
    Clearly they hadn't seen superman returns if the critic caricature there says that its brilliant.

It seems kind of insecure by some people to keep bringing up Marvel here. What do the people who watch the MCU have to do with this? Both cinematic universes (in DC's case with MOS) are tonally different and going in completely different directions from each other. You can't compare the two as the MCU is older and of course has more success due to being around longer to make more money. Yes there are A-Hole "fans" out there who will spout how one brand is better than another but like I said you cant compare the two as one is just getting off the ground and the other has years worth of content available.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    THIS!!

Plus MCU fans are an insecure lot who view any competition to Marvel's current dominance a threat. They even hate on the Marvel/Fox films.
    Quality-wise, it's not really that hard to produce as good a product (or better) than what Marvel currently has. Days of Future Past is easily as good (and more emotionally potent) than Captain America 2.
    The Bruce Timm DCAU outshines Marvel's cinematic efforts on nearly all levels.
    If WB/DC hit it out of the park with BvS they've essentially caught up to Marvel; eleven films in and nobody even talks about 8 of them anymore. MOS has been out for 2 years and people are still fighting over that movie. Who's talking about Thor 2 or Iron Man 3 two years later? Nobody.

Other haters are disgruntled older DC fans who didn't get a remake of the Donner films even though time has shown there's more disdain for a film in a Donner timeline than originally thought. Donner's Superman universe didn't get better with time, starting with Superman 2. The viewing audience that has accepted MOS (making it a BO blockbuster and dvd/blu ray hit) have moved on from Donner.
    You do realize MOS is only 2 years old right? With only 1 film for DC fans to talk about in the DC cinematic universe and all the internet "controversy" surrounding it of course it will still be talked about. Marvel puts out 2-3 films a year. For what reason would someone watching the MCU talk about Iron man 2, Thor, or The First Avenger when Thanos and CO just showed up and are about to wreck house. People still talk about things its just that when you get serialized fiction going talk tends to surround more recent releases. And when you have your most recent one and little content has been put into theatres since then well you still get coverage of it. If BVS or suicide squad had already been released and we got the next instalment coming instead I assure you that after enough new content is released no one will care as much about MOS.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Clearly they hadn't seen superman returns if the critic caricature there says that its brilliant.

It seems kind of insecure by some people to keep bringing up Marvel here. What do the people who watch the MCU have to do with this? Both cinematic universes (in DC's case with MOS) are tonally different and going in completely different directions from each other. You can't compare the two as the MCU is older and of course has more success due to being around longer to make more money. Yes there are A-Hole "fans" out there who will spout how one brand is better than another but like I said you cant compare the two as one is just getting off the ground and the other has years worth of content available.
    We wouldn't bring up Marvel so much if there weren't so many comments like "Why doesn't DC respect their characters the way Marvel does?" or "Why isn't DC's plan exactly like Marvel's?" or "I'm sick of everything being so dark and dreary, why can't it be light and fun like Marvel?" and "Why is DC copying Marvel?" (notice how that last one contradicts the second one? Yet they often pop up together).

Or how AoU's ridiculous "every nameless extra needs to be saved at all costs" was a clear jab at MoS. Or RDJ and Jackson bad mouthing DC. Basically, none of the Marvel bashing from the DC side has sprung up out of nowhere. Some members of the Marvel side come across like bullies and it's obnoxious as hell.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Oh, that was definitely the reason, no doubt.
    Well, some, I am sure. Others viewed it objectively and pointed out the hackneyed dialog, the ridiculous plot, while praising the visuals.
    MOS was a good popcorn movie, on par with Avengers, The Transformers movies, the Batman movie. The rest is just silly to worry about; horrible dialog and nonsensical plots in these movies are a given.
    I miss Roger Ebert for those kind of reviews; he would review the movie based on what the end result of the film should be. If it was blockbuster movie designed for exciting visuals, that is how he would review it. He wouldn't compare it to 'The Third Man' or 'Touch of Evil'.

BANNED

If you are gonna hate DC or Marvel, do it for the right reasons, like how they treat their creators, etc.
    Hating them for how imaginary corporate characters are handled in a movie seems like a waste of time.