Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    If you are gonna hate DC or Marvel, do it for the right reasons, like how they treat their creators, etc.
    Hating them for how imaginary corporate characters are handled in a movie seems like a waste of time.
    Agreed. None of this should get you up in arms over.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    If you are gonna hate DC or Marvel, do it for the right reasons, like how they treat their creators, etc.
    Hating them for how imaginary corporate characters are handled in a movie seems like a waste of time.
    We don't know how they treat all their creators. Most of that information is private. And as Gerry Conway's apology illustrated: it isn't always what it seems

What we do know is what we see on the screen.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-02-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    FWIW, I was referring to only those critics who were comparing MoS unfavorably the Reeve films (which weren't really the apex of quality dialogue and plotting, either).
    Oh, yeah, I agree. I loved the Donner movies when I was 8, but, you know, I was 8.
    The first one is the only one I can watch all the way through as an adult.
    Well, and the third one, just to see Richard Pryor in a freakin' Superman movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    We don't know how they treat all their creators. Most of that information is private. And as Gerry Conway's apology illustrated: it isn't always what it seems

What we do know is what we see on the screen. But it seems fascism here is preferable, telling fans what they should care or not care about, because you think you're enlightened or actually just love what WB does.
    Hey, I don't care what you do, man. Just saying, if you ARE going to hate a faceless conglomerate, it seems that there are other things to hate them over.
    Then again, I remember all the hatred on this boards and others when the Siegel/Shuster case was ongoing, so, you know. Some people will care about lines on paper more than real people.

Well that green lantern movie didn't help, but i agree at least wait until the rest come out.

I kind of liked MoS. But it was bleak, gritty, dark, almost joyless. Yet, I liked it.

For all of it's story flaws and that it wasn't a bright, hopeful movie, I liked the "realistic" approach to the phenomenon of this super powerful alien appearing in what was presented as basically the real world until he showed up trailed by other Kryptonians.

That said, the lead-off of the MCU was "Iron-Man". Somehow, for all the darkness, it came across as fun and promising with a quipping hero who made you laugh even in the midst of seriousness. MoS just didn't do any of that. Which is not even a criticism but probably helps explain why people seem to not respond to it nearly as well as they responded to the lead-off for the MCU.

I think there is also a matter of expectations.

the MCU never seemed that it was going to be built around a premise that the heroes were going to utterly oppose each other and an entire movie built around them opposing each other and fighting. Sure, we have a brief fight between Thor and Iron-Man and another brief fight between Thor and the Hulk (I haven't seen Age of Ultron yet so I am talking about the first Avengers movie). But it is not as if, after the first Iron-Man movie, the next one was "Thor versus Iron-Man".
    "What's this Thor guy's real agenda? Just a guy who wants to help? HA. In our cynical, suspicious, distrustful age, we know better than that. Nobody can be trusted, least of all the powerful. We know he has a secret agenda because he must. ".
    Iron-Man: "Tell me, so-called "god", do you bleed? Trust me, you will."
    No, it's nothing like that.

Now, we really don't know what's going to happen in "Batman vs. Superman". All we have to go by is the trailer and the title, both of which imply the movie will be built around a conflict between the two characters. In fact, I was very pleased when the director gave assurances that it will not be a DKR situation and that that is no way to present Superman in a movie where it is questionable who is really in the right.

But the thing is, you're asking for explanations for why the response to the MCU seems so positive and the response to the DCCU so negative?

In a way, I liken it to an old article about who was the "better" captain, Kirk or Picard. One of the people asked (former astronaut Buzz Aldrin) said that among the general populace, Kirk was always going to be perceived as more popular and hence "better" because he was designed to be more popular. He gives more of the wish-fulfillment fantasy where Picard is far more realistic and deals with things that happen in a far more true to life way. I honestly think is so far somewhat true of the MCU versus the DCCU if MoS is a general indication. The DCCU started with something closer to the real world and focused on how real world people would respond to someone like Superman. The MCU has some of that but the MCU is presented as something that was never the real world and doesn't give that aspect to us as close up and personal.

This may be part of why people react as they have. Then again, it may be that but more basic. Superman is generally thought of as the ultimate in the bright, positive, hopeful hero who represents everything good and noble and true. So I think a lot of people feel disappointed to see him presented in a very bleak manner.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    There is a lot of complainers on the internet about anything, but I think the GENERAL audience loved MOS, despite people thinking it was split. It's hard to say either way, but things like:

1. MOS sold more DVD/Blue Ray than Iron Man 3 that year and it wasn't even close.
    2. MOS did quite well in AMC'S March Movie Madness. Even taking down The Dark Knight Rises and Spider-Man in the tournament, which is one of the highest rated movies on IMDB.
    Uh oh. That is certainly bad news for some people around here.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I kind of liked MoS. But it was bleak, gritty, dark, almost joyless. Yet, I liked it.

For all of it's story flaws and that it wasn't a bright, hopeful movie, I liked the "realistic" approach to the phenomenon of this super powerful alien appearing in what was presented as basically the real world until he showed up trailed by other Kryptonians.

That's exactly the reason why I loved MoS. I mean super powered aliens are annihilating the world's population using super advanced weapons of mass destruction. For stakes that high, I wouldn't expect characters cracking jokes or engaging in witty banter.

My 9 year old son loved MoS. We've watched it a lot of times in Netflix. I watched the Reeve Superman movies with him and he couldn't finish a single one of it. Judging by that, the movie did a good job of appealing to young fans.

Man of Steel movie is quite realistic in having invaders try to wipe out the indigenous population to get the land. Genocides are probably not funny.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Colonyofcells quip just made me realize something...

MOS and SMTM and SUPERMAN RETURNS have one thing in common aside from them all being about Superman.

Ultimately at the end of the day....the main plot is about LAND.

I was trying to look up how MoS stands in ticket sales.

I found this:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...perman2012.htm

If you click on Superhero movies, it gives its gross. It's useless for comparing it to older movies from before the 21st century because it goes by the amount of money made rather than number of tickets sold so it's worthless for comparison to a time when movie tickets cost 3 bucks.

In terms of sites that go by actual tickets sales, which is really the only true value of a movie's popularity in my opinion, it ranks below the Reeve movies.

However, what really matters is where it stands compared to the Marvel Cinematic Universe of today. If we only count movies that are part of the MCU, both Avengers movies beat it, as well as all three Iron-Man movies and Guardians of the Galaxy.

But, that's right, it's ahead of everything else in the MCU. It seems more people went to see it than went to see any of the Captain America movies or the Thor movies or the Hulk movies or any other movie so far that is considered to be part of the MCU proper. So it's basically Avengers, IM and Guardians then MoS as the lead-in for the DCCU.

I grant you, I think there is a public expectation that a Superman movie should be able to beat everything else. But it's level of success at the box office reflects a far higher public opinion than what is reflected on the Internet.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Man of Steel was not a good movie and now DC is introducing TDKR version of Batman
    Its like the perfect storm of "do not want" for some people
    This is pretty close to it. If DC wants to have a successful movie franchise, it will need to make a movie that's much more upbeat, quotable, and entertaining than Man of Steel was.

I am sick and tired of Batman vs. Superman generally. Especially sick and tired of seeing Batman always win. This is what ruined Batman as a character for years.

I am not interested in seeing a movie that ends with a defeated Superman being exiled from the earth. If that's how it ends, spoil it for me so I don't have to find out in a theater.

I am not interested in seeing a movie in which Wonder Woman is another bastard child of Zeus.

That said, I really do want DC to have a successful movie franchise that isn't Batman-centric and that's as entertaining as most of the Marvel movies have been. I want there to be a Justice League movie, a Wonder Woman movie, and movies for many more DC characters. I just have a lot less confidence that DC/Warner will be able to pull it off. The most hopeful sign from DC's perspective is that Supergirl trailer.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

I hope the haters of the upcoming dc movies are not psychics.

Retired

Krzysztof Kieslowski would have been my choice to direct a shared universe. Sadly he passed away too soon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I was trying to look up how MoS stands in ticket sales.

I found this:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...perman2012.htm

If you click on Superhero movies, it gives its gross. It's useless for comparing it to older movies from before the 21st century because it goes by the amount of money made rather than number of tickets sold so it's worthless for comparison to a time when movie tickets cost 3 bucks.

In terms of sites that go by actual tickets sales, which is really the only true value of a movie's popularity in my opinion, it ranks below the Reeve movies.

However, what really matters is where it stands compared to the Marvel Cinematic Universe of today. If we only count movies that are part of the MCU, both Avengers movies beat it, as well as all three Iron-Man movies and Guardians of the Galaxy.

But, that's right, it's ahead of everything else in the MCU. It seems more people went to see it than went to see any of the Captain America movies or the Thor movies or the Hulk movies or any other movie so far that is considered to be part of the MCU proper. So it's basically Avengers, IM and Guardians then MoS as the lead-in for the DCCU.

I grant you, I think there is a public expectation that a Superman movie should be able to beat everything else. But it's level of success at the box office reflects a far higher public opinion than what is reflected on the Internet.
    Generally, I think the audience liked MOS quite a bit. Take 2 of my friends who aren't really comic book geeks and HATE Superman, but LOVED MOS. I've spoken to a bunch of casual movie goers about MOS and the general consensus is that they really dug that direction Snyder gave them. That's all that matters, because WB is trying to broaden the fanbase.

Ever since kevin tsujihara took over, he's been expanding the DC properties that aren't Superman/Batman related. Just look at what he's doing with the T.V. line and now the movie line. They're taking chances and getting people talking. Just look at the Suicide Squad Marketing. More people are aware about it and it's only going to help them in the long run. I predict Suicide Squad will make around 700 M WW, which AGAIN is more than any Marvel movie sans Avengers or Iron Man 3.

MOS made a LOT of money. People like to say it had a high budget (Which it did), but made 170 M in product placement before the movie even came out.

Before doing any business at the box office, the film has recouped three-quarters of the $225m it cost to make.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...s-8651215.html

Also, take in account that Man of Steel had a lot of competition, yet still managed to rake in 668 M WW. With the likes of World War Z, Monsters University, and Despicable Me 2 around the same time.
    Last edited by golgi; 06-03-2015 at 12:47 AM.