Amazing Member

Default Different societies. Green Lantern, Paradise Island, Atlantis.

I've never read Green Lantern but have read some Aquaman and Wonder Woman. Plus som Black Panther Wakanda from Marvel. What I haven't read is a different society explored that impressed me at all. In all the years of comics with outer space and other earthly societies, is there any exploration at all like in !(*$ or Brave New World or anything like that? That to me seems like the most interesting thing for a writer to explore. Getting to have your own society or even planet to design however you want. I know they're not given the writing space to write Asimov novels but has someone come close?

Quote Originally Posted by Freako View Post
    I've never read Green Lantern but have read some Aquaman and Wonder Woman. Plus som Black Panther Wakanda from Marvel. What I haven't read is a different society explored that impressed me at all. In all the years of comics with outer space and other earthly societies, is there any exploration at all like in !(*$ or Brave New World or anything like that? That to me seems like the most interesting thing for a writer to explore. Getting to have your own society or even planet to design however you want. I know they're not given the writing space to write Asimov novels but has someone come close?
    Not sure if you've read them or not, but Grell's Warlord series might perhaps fit the bill. It borrows from Burroughs and others, but Skartaris is a fully realized world that became richer over time.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

I'd recommend George Perez run on Wonder Woman and his own depiction of the Amazons if you haven't read it.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

HAWKWORLD was a pretty solid title, even if I vastly prefer the Indiana Jones-Hawkman that Johns/Robinson wrote about.

I love the KAMANDI world.

The old "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" backups presented a bunch of different alien societies. (albeit fairly briefly) I was always intrigued by Hollika Rahn's (the female GL with the mohawk) world that had split between magic and science.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-02-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The old "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" backups presented a bunch of different alien societies. (albeit fairly briefly) I was always intrigued by Hollika Rahn's (the female GL with the mohawk) world that had split between religion and science.
    Those are the bomb! I wish Moore was able to do a big run on GREEN LANTERN. Would have rocked.

Green Lantern: Mosaic is all about building a new society on a planet and exploring the different alien races that live there.

Fantastic Member

The underground society, Strata was also an interesting concept.

Amazing Member

Thanks, everyone. I've been thinking about this for a while. I started WW with Jimenez but never read Perez. I figured GL would have the best opportunity to explore what I wanted, but I'll check out all your suggestions on Amazon. Again, thanks. I do appreciate it.

Green Lantern: New Guardians has some society exploration, mostly after Kyle becomes a White Lantern. There was also the short lived space comic, Threshold, that followed some space aliens.
    -______
    |____.._|
    -.(-.O-.)
    ..____Ż|
    -ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ