Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default DC Comics-Themed "Infinite Crisis" MOBA Shutting Down

The free to play game will remain online through mid-August; Starter and Elite Pack purchasers are eligible for refunds.

Full article here.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I always wanted to try this out. Oh well. When they say free till August, will all the characters be free too? Kinda want to try it lol.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

BANNED

MOBAs are kind of a niche market, in an already niche (video games) market

I remember a discussion with some X-Fans, and a few suggested that a MOBA would be the perfect style for an X-Men themed game. This kinda shuts that idea down, I guess, as that would be even more niche-ier than DC.

Never fun to see something have to shut down but, especially in the video game market, one has to really stand out to hope to survive.

This was the only game I currently played. My Supergirl was level 19 (20 being max) and that takes a very long time to get that high, believe me. Sad that they are closing it, but the developers were incompetant in their handling of the IP and failed to get the game the attention it deserved.

Noooooo! I played this game and really enjoyed it! There were tonnes of characters to still show and alternate versions to see. I'm very sad
    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Darkseid doesn't invade with a fleet of ships. Darkseid chills on your couch, embarrasses and humiliates you, and won't leave. And he drinks everything in your fridge.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    MOBAs are kind of a niche market, in an already niche (video games) market
    MOBAs are the opposite of niche. The genre is currently oversaturated. There wasn't enough in Infinite Crisis to draw people away from heavyweights like LoL and DotA2. It didn't do anything unique to be able to sustain a playerbase like Smite and Awesomnauts. It's similar to ten years ago how there were many MMOs out when WoW got popular and tried to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    I always wanted to try this out. Oh well. When they say free till August, will all the characters be free too? Kinda want to try it lol.
    Yeah, everything's unlocked now. All characters and skins.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I was just getting into the game! Drat!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    MOBAs are the opposite of niche. The genre is currently oversaturated. There wasn't enough in Infinite Crisis to draw people away from heavyweights like LoL and DotA2. It didn't do anything unique to be able to sustain a playerbase like Smite and Awesomnauts. It's similar to ten years ago how there were many MMOs out when WoW got popular and tried to compete.
    It's niche because the genre doesn't appeal to all gamers (no video game genre does, I'd hazard a guess). It's over-saturated because, due to that, there are not enough people wanting to play them all.

Coupled, yes, with the already present behemoths, as I said...a new game has to stand out.

Using licenses such as DC (or, prospectfully, the X-Men) serves to entice unfamiliar players, but it still has to be a "good game".
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 06-02-2015 at 12:01 PM.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xoxx View Post
    Yeah, everything's unlocked now. All characters and skins.
    Well guess I may play it a bit then lol. I wanted to try Ivy.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Never played it but I enjoyed the games versions of the Earth's and characters introduced compared to the ones we actually got in Multiversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    It's niche because the genre doesn't appeal to all gamers (no video game genre does, I'd hazard a guess). It's over-saturated because, due to that, there are not enough people wanting to play them all.
    That's not entirely accurate. A lot of people play MOBAs. The problem is, more than any of genre I can think of, a lot of MOBA games are carbon copies of each other. Right down to the map design. It's not that there aren't enough players to go around, it's just that there's just no reason for someone who's invested a lot of time, effort and money into LoL or DOTA to leave it for one of these newer games, which is just going to be 95% identical anyway.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 06-02-2015 at 01:16 PM.

BANNED

MOBAs just don't do it for me. DC should do its own version of Marvel Future Fight instead. They'd make enough money they could even afford to make Steel 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Never played it but I enjoyed the games versions of the Earth's and characters introduced compared to the ones we actually got in Multiversity.
    Indeed, the designs and backstory for the alternate Protectors are quite nice like Mecha Superman, Nightmare Superman etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Darkseid doesn't invade with a fleet of ships. Darkseid chills on your couch, embarrasses and humiliates you, and won't leave. And he drinks everything in your fridge.

Astonishing Member

The problem with mobas and it being a genre is that they are still basicly a warcraft 3 mod with very little innovation, no one does much aside from slapping a new skin on it.