Super Moderator

Default Pipeline - Jun 2, 2015

Remember that time Travis Charest drew Wildstorm's "Wildcats?" Augie re-acquainted himself with those issues and reports back on how they hold up.

Full article here.

ak1007

Charest had a run with James Robinson and Alan Moore shortly after Jim Lee left the first volume of the book.
    I remember reading that Lobdell was frustrated on the book with Charest because he would not follow the script. But, because the book was so late, he had to work around the pages he was sent.

I bought it for Charest's art. The story was secondary to me compared (then and still) to his detailed work. Fell in love with his stuff during the Robinson run (my favorite) and what he did of the Moore run. The Casey/Phillips run was much better though and still holds up for me. But I'm a fan of all versions of the 'Cats. (Not so much when they were hopping around time, but for the most part I've enjoyed everything from Lee/Choi to the Lee/Claremont issues, Moore/Charest, etc., Casey/Phillips, Casey/Nguyen.)
    Last edited by GDC3; 06-04-2015 at 11:57 AM.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I loved that run. It took me awhile to come around to what Joe Casey was doing, but the art was golden.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

BANNED

After Moore, only Casey really felt like he was telling a story worth reading. But even those issues between i still loved my 'cats. And absolutely LOVED LOVED Ladytron.

Quote Originally Posted by ak1007 View Post
    Charest had a run with James Robinson and Alan Moore shortly after Jim Lee left the first volume of the book.
    I remember reading that Lobdell was frustrated on the book with Charest because he would not follow the script. But, because the book was so late, he had to work around the pages he was sent.
    I had a note to include in the column, but didn't because I couldn't find the source: But, yeah, I'm sure there was a story going around somewhere about how Charest basically ignored the script on the second half of the first issue because he felt like drawing tanks, thus the whole unnecessary sequence of Spartan fighting a tank.

I should have mentioned the Moore run, but it was an odd duck in a way, too: Charest couldn't keep up with the deadlines there, either, so they only had him draw half the book, and have the other half to noted speed demon, Dave Johnson, who I don't think ever drew an interior again. (As opposed to this series, where noted speed demon Brian Hitch stepped in for Charest.)

I might go back further to the Moore days sometime, but I'm enjoying the Casey run right now too much to think about it. =)

Thanks for reading!
    -Augie

While Alan Moore did a fine job on Wildcats, it was Joe Casey, Ed Brubaker, and Warren Ellis who really showed the potential of the Wildstorm characters.

Boy oh boy, you are so wrong
    A Wildstorm title in the 90s was consumed for the art. Sure, Robinson did good work, so did Moore, but maybe some of you remember the Wildcats/Cyberforce crossover? Killer Instinct, this was tremendous, issue 5 of Wildcats, with the fold-out pages? Pure trash, but so enjoyable

Moore's run was good. Casey's ranged from good to great. For the life of me though I can't tell why some people liked James Robinson's run.

Spectacular Member

This book can be included in a comics time capsule to show future readers the excess of 90's comics...beautiful art, experimental storytelling, paper-thin plots, and atrocious dialogue.

But God help me, I do love it so much. Probably because I'll put money down for anything with the word "Charest" on the cover, because that guy is just damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    This book can be included in a comics time capsule to show future readers the excess of 90's comics...beautiful art, experimental storytelling, paper-thin plots, and atrocious dialogue.

But God help me, I do love it so much. Probably because I'll put money down for anything with the word "Charest" on the cover, because that guy is just damn good.
    Amen to that.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    Boy oh boy, you are so wrong
    A Wildstorm title in the 90s was consumed for the art. Sure, Robinson did good work, so did Moore, but maybe some of you remember the Wildcats/Cyberforce crossover? Killer Instinct, this was tremendous, issue 5 of Wildcats, with the fold-out pages? Pure trash, but so enjoyable
    Trash to you, but gold to me!

Man, I loved those early adrenaline-packed WildCATS issues! Killer Instinct was a huge, fun fight with Cyber Force.