Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

OH I remember when an Xmen movie pulled in over 1.5 billion in theatres.....oh wait That was the Avengers. I liked Xmen United where so many thought it was the weakest link. I loved the Xmen movies as a whole but to say it was better than....is laughable
    Last edited by Christian; 06-02-2015 at 08:07 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    OH I remember when an Xmen movie pulled in over 1.5 billion in theatres.....oh wait That was the Avengers. I liked Xmen United where so many thought it was the weakest link. I loved the Xmen movies as a whole but to say it was better than....is laughable
    No, what's laughable is attempting to equate ticket sales with quality. That's always good for a chuckle.

Spectacular Member

Oh Days of Future Past was really good although I am not sure how I forgot that film
    Last edited by Christian; 06-02-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    Marvel was in a dire financial crisis. It looked like it could be the end to the comic company. That is until 20th Century Fox bought the X-MEN, the purchase gave Marvel the funds to restart, and to eventually regain, and even surpass the former glory. Fast forward today, and the MCU is one of the single most effective film franchises in history, it's broken box office records, received good reviews and changed the course of superhero films forever, but people complain about how Fox owns the X-MEN and how they can't be in the MCU. People, if Fox didn't own X-MEN, we would not have the MCU, we probably wouldn't even have Marvel. We should be thankful for Fox buying the X-MEN, for without that deal, Marvel would have died, and there would have been no MCU.

I was definitely fine with the x-men movies at Fox.

However there are a few issues here.

First I think marvel does a better job with the material. They don't strip the characters down into digestible blandness. The x-men so far have been a little bland for characterization. I for one would like to see what a marvel version of the x-men would look like.

I also don't think that we would have an Mic that is dominated only by x-men movies. After all at this time they have had to morph the inhumans into mutant analogues for the purpose of civil war and an increased number of super humans.

That being said, I think marvel probably would have reach for wolverines first instead of iron man. So for the that reason, I am glad that Fox owned the x-men.

I think in the future Marvel has learned the lesson that most of their properties, even the more obscure ones, are pure gold. Even if they got the x-men back, I doubt they would just stop making guardians of the galaxy or antman type movies. They may be a little further in between because there would be more material to work with, but they would definitely still be there. I bet they would probably start making x-men movies that are completely devoid of wolverine,magneto,or professor x.

As I said, marvel has learn that obscure characters are gold. I don't think Fox has learn that lesson.

Ultimate Member

X-men rights weren't the only film rights Marvel sold.

Marvel sold the rights to virtually ALL their popular characters but Blade got made into a successful movie first, then X-men.

Selling X-men movie rights alone didn't save Marvel, that's an overly simplistic way of looking at things.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-03-2015 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Business considerations aside, the best of the X-Men movies are as good or better than anything Marvel Studios has put out. That alone is reason enough to be glad that Fox has the franchise.
    Ehhh, no. X-Men 2 and First Class were good movies, but not as good as the better Marvel Studios movies.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Ehhh, no. X-Men 2 and First Class were good movies, but not as good as the better Marvel Studios movies.
    I'd put them on par with most of Marvel's movies, and better than some, with Days of Future Past knocking on the door of the best stuff Marvel's done.

I think the biggest thing is that Marvel simply seems to do "spectacle" better and that's a huge part of the comic-book/movie genre. But it's also well worth noting that most of the X-Men films predate the MCU, and the ones we've gotten since the MCU really kicked off (Post Thor, in my book...Iron Man was the first, but Thor was the first shared universe film with a different character) have generally been considered some of the better stuff from that franchise (First Class, The Wolverine (the last act is silly, but the rest of the movie is pretty aces), and Days of Future Past).

It is absolutely certain that without the X-Men films (and even more so the Spider-Man films) leading the way in terms of box-office success and proving that you could do superheroes besides Superman and Batman on the big screen, there'd be no MCU today.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    No, what's laughable is attempting to equate ticket sales with quality. That's always good for a chuckle.
    True but mcu movies are good while staying true to the key aspects of their characters. First class and dofp were good movies which is whats important. But the disregard for the source material matters as well. Also for my money winter soldier, and gotg are better then dofp. Also the avngers 1/2 arent great films but they are more entertaining and fun then any of the x films. Fox needs a hard reboot and continue the trend of quality movies they got going. I believe they can do that and respect the source material. No more leather costumes, its the xmen outside the original team they dont need matching costumes. Come up with something grounded thats more creative then leather suits. Wish mavel had creative control of xmen while having another studio make the film. Like put miramax incharge of the logistics of getting the films made while marvel appoints there own overseer to do for xmen what feige does for the mcu.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    True but mcu movies are good while staying true to the key aspects of their characters. First class and dofp were good movies which is whats important. But the disregard for the source material matters as well.
    Not to me it doesn't. I couldn't possibly care less about it, actually.

I prefer X2 to all of the Marvel movies (and, really, to all other superhero movies), with the possible exception of Winter Soldier, which is easily Marvel's best product so far. It also stands up to repeated viewing much better than Avengers. Beyond X2, . . . First Class, and DoFP are better than both of the Thor movies, the last 2 Iron Man movies, Incredible Hulk, and AoU. And whatever qualitative cinematic difference there is between them and GotG is slight at best. And--disallowing the letdown of the climactic fight scene--The Wolverine stands up pretty well to just about everything other than the two Cap movies and maybe GotG.

I've liked all of the Marvel stuff to varying degrees, but I find the better X movies to be more satisfying overall film experiences, while the Marvel stuff works mostly on a level of pure spectacle. Nothing wrong with that, pure spectacle can be both fun and entertaining, which Marvel's movies mostly are. But they don't really provide much beyond that in the final analysis. Now, it's not like the X-Men movies are Shakespeare or the Godfather, but the best ones have a bit more filmic meat on their bones.
    Last edited by kalorama; 06-03-2015 at 06:47 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    X-men rights weren't the only film rights Marvel sold.

Marvel sold the rights to virtually ALL their popular characters but Blade got made into a successful movie first, then X-men.

Selling X-men movie rights alone didn't save Marvel, that's an overly simplistic way of looking at things.
    That is true. However, I think the OP's point is that some participants of these boards have been complaining (or merely wishing) that the X-Properties would be better executed under Marvel Studio's control, but that there might not BE a Marvel as we know it had Marvel not sold those screen properties.

I remember those times. Posters on CBR generally assumed that Marvel was about to go bust as a result of Ron Perelman's financial hi-jinx, wondered if DC was going to buy the MU characters, and speculated on whether DC would try to run Marvel as a separate imprint, like Vertigo, or integrate the characters into the DCU. Marvel survived to eventually begin making movies because it sold all of those rights.

So, if some of us are unhappy with the way Fox makes superhero movies in comparison to Marvel, that's the price of Marvel having lasted long enough to enter the movie business.

Quote Originally Posted by gantz_alien_killer View Post
    How do you know that for sure?
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Because Disney can only put out so many films a year, which means if they were also charged with putting out X-Men films there wouldn't likely be room for movies like Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    X-Men is one of Marvel's biggest properties. It would be a safer to go with your cash cow franchise.
    Exactly. As much money as it has, Disney/Marvel couldn't possibly do what they're doing now with the rights to the X-Men now. It's just not plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Exactly. As much money as it has, Disney/Marvel couldn't possibly do what they're doing now with the rights to the X-Men now. It's just not plausible.
    It might not be too far-fetched for Disney to produce as many X-Men related movies if they acquired the rights as Fox will be soon. My reason is that Disney seems to be really franchise hungry. They spent $4 billion getting the Marvel Universe. They spent $4.5 billion getting Lucasfilms (Stars Wars & Indiana Jones). They pretty much leave Pixar alone, but Pixar has produced 3 Toy Story movies, 2 Cars movies and is going to be producing Incredibles 2. I think for sure Frozen 2 will be made by Disney Animated. I hear Wreck-It Ralph 2 is being made and I'm almost certain another Big Hero 6 will be made, due to the money and acclaim it got.

Disney is aiming to make more Star Wars than just another trilogy and Phase 3 of the MCU movies will have more movies than either of the 2 phases. They wanted to get Spider-Man back, I'm sure of that but Sony is offering a partnership, which is the next best thing for Disney.

I'm sure that if Disney was a being with eyes and a mouth, with all these franchises in it's belly, it would be frothing at the mouth if it could get a hold of the X-Men franchise and probably would fast-track as many movies as it could.

However, I would prefer the X-Men rights to stay with Fox. I like a lot of what they've done so far and with Deadpool and Apocalypse coming out, I think we are going to see some exciting new things from Fox.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

Fox has certainly handled this rights dispute with a lot more maturity and professionalism than Marvel has, though that's not exactly saying a whole lot. Overall the Fox X-Men movies seem more like proper films than heavily hyped circuses of promotion and merchandising. While not art films by any means, the X-Men series does have a tinge of creativity and risk-taking that is completely absent with the Marvel Studios productions, and it's good to have a bit of variation in the genre instead of everything being formulaic copypasta.

At this point, even if Marvel got the rights back they wouldn't actually use them. The market is oversaturated as it is and I don't think fans are really in the mood for yet another X-Men or FF reboot. So all the people who are cheerleading Marvel hoping that their favorite D-list mutant will get a starring role in the new series should probably think more realistically.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Fox has certainly handled this rights dispute with a lot more maturity and professionalism than Marvel has, though that's not exactly saying a whole lot. Overall the Fox X-Men movies seem more like proper films than heavily hyped circuses of promotion and merchandising. While not art films by any means, the X-Men series does have a tinge of creativity and risk-taking that is completely absent with the Marvel Studios productions, and it's good to have a bit of variation in the genre instead of everything being formulaic copypasta.
    Yeahno. That doesn't seem to have any connection to the films I actually saw in theaters. X Men 3 was a huge mess of cramming as much hype and formula into one movie as possible. First Class was well made and interesting by virtue of its setting, but DOFP's main virtue was a brief appearance by Quicksilver.
    Iron Man took a LOT of chances at the time, and basically the whole IDEA of a shared universe leading up to an Avengers movie was a huge risk. Winter Soldier was very much a risk-taking movie, basically turning the whole MCU upside down. GOTG was a huge risk and a huge departure from formula.
    I have no idea what movies you've been watching, but they weren't the ones I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    Marvel was in a dire financial crisis. It looked like it could be the end to the comic company. That is until 20th Century Fox bought the X-MEN, the purchase gave Marvel the funds to restart, and to eventually regain, and even surpass the former glory. Fast forward today, and the MCU is one of the single most effective film franchises in history, it's broken box office records, received good reviews and changed the course of superhero films forever, but people complain about how Fox owns the X-MEN and how they can't be in the MCU. People, if Fox didn't own X-MEN, we would not have the MCU, we probably wouldn't even have Marvel. We should be thankful for Fox buying the X-MEN, for without that deal, Marvel would have died, and there would have been no MCU.
    I'm glad Fox own X-Men. That's way I can watch multiple Marvel movie at the same year.