Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Green Lantern #41

"Renegade"! Beginning a new chapter in Hal Jordan's life as he becomes the universe's most wanted outlaw! And wait till you meet Hal's new partner, Darlene -- she's definitely not what you're expecting!

Full preview here.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Not bad, I'm digging the new direction, costume and glove.

It feels very Firefly.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Why a glove? Not because its more inconspicuous because it is not what with that hunking big symbol on it.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Always Rakzo

This was a pretty solid new beginning, hope it continues this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Why a glove?
    Because it's the original harnesser of the green light of will, invented by Krona himself and held in the Green Lantern vaults since Krona was first apprehended.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Ahh darn Forgot to pick this up! Knew I was forgetting something!!

Quote Originally Posted by Potanical Pardon View Post
    Not bad, I'm digging the new direction, costume and glove.

It feels very Firefly.
    Nice Avatar man!!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Astonishing Member

I like the direction. The art? Less.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I agree with the Firefly comparisons. It looks like this series is DC's answer to Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy.
    Amazing start to a new era, I loved the issue, even if Hal is a bit too police-brutality for my taste. Malcolm Reynolds doesn't beat on a man when he's unarmed and imprisoned. Well, maybe he would just a little, if it was funny in the moment. Also, I am guessing the imprisoned character will wind up joining the crew, and, if we're going with Firefly comparisons, will be the Jayne of the group.

Astonishing Member

I really liked this. I love the space rouges set up thing they have going on here, speaks better to my sensibilities than space cop/military. I like his little group there I hope they stay around, it would help me to stay on with this book because ultimately I only picked this up because of the space Gambit look Hal was rocking but that won't make me stay. Was a decent first issue 7/10.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Ahh darn Forgot to pick this up! Knew I was forgetting something!!

Nice Avatar man!!
    Haha. I swear that is completely unintentional.

Honestly, my biggest gripe was the price and the annoying ads on the same page as the story. Which surprises me actually. I thought I'd have a lot more to gripe about.
    Instead, this works. It really does.
    Venditti had a rough start with writing Green Lantern, improvement came too slowly for my liking, and even the theft of the gauntlet felt out of left field.
    BUT, now that Venditti has the set up he wants, he seems to be bringing a much better effort to it. So Hal stole Winter Soldier's hair, big whoop, looks good on him. The costume wasn't as drab as I feared it would be. But the actual story is what's important and it actually sets up some intriguing possibilities.

Hal stole the gauntlet to help the corps. But the Corps is missing. Suddenly he's got a big mystery, and space just lost its biggest defenders. Yup, he's going to have to get some support, and so the Firefly and GotG feel as a comparison is pretty apt. I have to wonder if the new AI is a homage to Aya of the all too short animated series, but her personality is very different so its certainly not a ripoff.

This wouldn't work if it wasn't for the Lost Army situation, imo, but with it? Yeah, this can go places.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

This was a really fun issue. I liked it quite a bit! Definitely on this title for a few more issues. Hopefully it will be strong enough to be added to my pull list.

It seems like life on the run has given Hal a bit of a harder edge. I like that. His new ship is fun and his supporting cast (or at least what I hope will be the first band of miscreants added to his crew) are fun and interesting.